Hi-points came up in a conversation with a friend the other day.

This is a discussion on Hi-points came up in a conversation with a friend the other day. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a friend of mine, works for a government agency dealing with firearms on a regular (everyday) basis. He was able to take a tour ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-points came up in a conversation with a friend the other day.

Hi-points came up in a conversation with a friend the other day.

So a friend of mine, works for a government agency dealing with firearms on a regular (everyday) basis. He was able to take a tour of the Hi-point manufactruing facility. The owner, Tom Deeb, guided their tour. He told me some interesting things he learned while there.

Number one, just to show how cheaply made these guns are...He said that a large blast furnace was bought and brought in to heat treat the finish on the guns. However, they use two old used household kitchen ranges to bake on the finishes sitting in a corner against a wall. My friend said they were different colors and looked like something that should be in the junk yard. They put them on pans and put them in the oven to bake them like cookies. The owner says "the guys couldnt outwork the oven so why bother with that big ol blast furnace."

Number two...As a testament to what kind of a somewhat shrewd businessman the owner truly is, he says it takes his workers an average of 52 minutes (don't quote me)to assemble a frame on a gun. He says that there are plenty of ways for him to up the production time in his plants, but why? He says if he speeds up production, he puts more guns on the market faster which decreases demands which would cause him to lay off workers. If he keeps production times and numbers as is, he keeps his work force all working and feeding their families.

Both very interesting things good and bad. I just couldnt believe they are making guns in kitchen ovens. It was however refreshing to see a big businessman who is interested in more than just profit. Just some things to chew on....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I am blown away that he would give a tour of his factory if it was in that kind of condition!

interesting....it doesn't surprise me on the "cooking guns in the oven" bit...I have a hi-point .380 and while it's fun to shoot it's definitely not the most quality piece in my arsenal. I can't believe this guy would show off his facility if it was in this kind of shape, but you have to hand it to him at least he's caring towards his workers and sounds like he's working in the right direction...who knows one day he could be the next big thing. I wish them well.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

They say he is a very common down to earth person, and that if you met him you would not think he was a millionaire businessman. He said that he was at an awards banquet to receive an award where my friend was, and he said he didnt even wear a suit jacket, because he didnt own one. LOL Dressing up to him was black jeans. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They say he is a very common down to earth person, and that if you met him you would not think he was a millionaire businessman. He said that he was at an awards banquet to receive an award where my friend was, and he said he didnt even wear a suit jacket, because he didnt own one. LOL Dressing up to him was black jeans. LOL
    This guy sounds like a real good ol'boy. Haha well atleast he sounds like he's staying genuine.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Wow, I think I finally found something I can respect about HiPoint.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Wow, I think I finally found something I can respect about HiPoint.
    Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Almost makes me want to buy one. Well, maybe not.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Almost makes me want to buy one. Well, maybe not.
    +1 Almost being the key word. Its good that he takes his workers and their families into this decision making process. Although I suspect that the drop in demand would also lower what he can charge and therefor his profit margines, so that probably is on his mind as much as having to lay off workers.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I own several of his creations, they still do what I want them to do. But hey there will aways be a hitch in everyones get-along. Thanks for the inside look.

i love this story.

here's an American company, who outsources nothing, making a product that actually works. i've owned Hi Points, and will again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    +1 Almost being the key word. Its good that he takes his workers and their families into this decision making process. Although I suspect that the drop in demand would also lower what he can charge and therefor his profit margines, so that probably is on his mind as much as having to lay off workers.

I didn't know that there WAS demand for Hi-Points. lol
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

haha OP's words, not mine ;)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I don't know what to say...except perhaps that I admire the man but not the gun.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

I've talked to Tom's wife Shirley on the phone ordering some mags for my 995. Very helpful and seems like a very sweet person. Nice to know there just regular down to earth folks.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    I love to hear about responsible people doing good things. I really like the idea of keeping your people employed. Too bad I think their product is junk or I would bring them my business.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links