Defensive Carry banner

Gen 3 Glock Question ?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TampaShooters 
#1 ·
Still a little confused. As far as Gen 3(NOT the new Gen 4 with removable backstraps)Glocks go are there now THREE variations?
1: Standard...old texture and slide serrations
2: RTF... New texture and old serrations
3: RTF2..New texture and new(fishscale)serrations

OR do I have it wrong! I have a Standard Gen 3 (circa 2000).

THANKS!!!:smile:

#2 ·
1st gen is no accessory rails and no finger grooves and 1st gen texture.
2nd generation no accessory rails and no finger grooves but a different texture than the 1st gen and I believe most 2nd gens have a three pin frame, but IIRC, some do not.
3rd gen is finger grooves and accessory rails and three pin frames.

Now there's the RTF2 that's the best thing that's ever happened to a Glock. It feels like the grip is a bit smaller, and the finger grooves are not as pronounced.

Now there's the replaceable backstrap version purportedly, but I haven't seen one yet.

I suppose the latter two are the fourth and fifth gens.

#4 ·
I just picked up the Glock Annual magazine (paper type) and it does indeed list the fourth gen as the one with removable backstraps.

So about all the RTF2 can be is a gen 3 with a different texture.

#5 ·
I agree. I think we're up to date now. "Generations" of the Glock pistol generally involve more sweeping changes rather than minor adaptions. Physically, and functionally. Any time Glock adds a part or parts, or re-contours the frame physically from the original, it's a major change and worthy of another 'generation'. Three pin frames, two pin frames, finger grooves, smooth grip, etc...... The manufacturer is the one that actually determines a generation change, and it's usually publicized as such. Glock likes to keep things stirring amongst the fans......it's interesting, and it boosts interest among the new and die hard fans. Now they are wisely catering to the hold-outs and consumer input. Any great company will remain at the top while adapting to change. IMO, Glock doesn't need to make any changes to stay at the top. Thinking about the Glock pistol generations is rather simple compared to deciphering the magazine changes and upgrades made over the years. When Glock makes a big change to their pistols, it's all over the world. To me, that's good publicity, and catches a lot of folks attention. Whatever changes Glock makes, and no matter what we think of those changes individually, just simply insures that Glock will remain at the top of the list for years to come. Just the word Glock indicates a sweeping change....of history in the firearms industry, and what folks choose to be their best, most user friendly, and dependable pistol for concealed carry, top line security, law enforcement, and combat pistols world-wide.

#6 ·
the gen3's include the RTF (standard one) & the RTF2 with the curved slide serrations and rough grip texture.

the RTF2 is simply a gen 3 option.

the gen 4's are the one's with the changeable back straps.

:smile:

#7 ·
Thanks guys! In typical Teutonic(guess the Austrians fall in here too!)fashion...Glock tries to "reinvent" a good thing AGAIN. The new texture does sound good,but the whole Gen 4 thing smells like " keeping up with the Smiths(and Wessons)"!

#8 ·
Actually, that smell is probably coming from somewhere else.....maybe next door neighbors? How many threads I've seen about how Glock is slow to respond and behind the times compared to other manufacturers. I personally think they did their research well, and are now catering to customer requests. You know it's difficult to project something like that in sales in less than ten years, much less five. Glock is one of those manufacturers that really doesn't need to go out on a limb. By no means would Glock think they needed to "keep up" with anyone. They're already so far ahead, I think it's the other way around. They don't need to keep up, they just feel it's necessary to offer more to more. I kind of relate Glock to Wal Mart....smart marketing, and no matter what we think of them, they've already taken over the world. Catching up or keeping up? Surely you can't be serious. Glock is of pistols what Walt Disney is of movies.

#9 ·
This is according to a local gun shop:
Glock produced some RTF2 models to test the market, so to speak, with LE mainly. Initial complaints were that the rough grip was wearing holes in uniforms, etc. It is being toned down slightly and re-issued as the Gen 4 version.

I felt the grip was too rough, definitely not something you would want against your skin. My first thought was shooting glove for any extended range time. I really don't have any problem with the grip surface on my Gen 3 G30. I'm planning on getting a G22 in the near future, not for CC, and would be interested in feeling the toned-down grip.

#11 ·
Three variations of the 3rd gens;

1. Standard
2. RTF2 with Curved Serrations
3. RTF2 with Straight Serrations (coming soon)

The 4th Gen;

1. RTF3 with Straight Serrations and Removable Backstraps - Mine is on order, and should get it next week ($398!!!) Wooooo......

Here is the 4th for those who haven't seen one yet..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.