Kel Tec PF9 questions

Kel Tec PF9 questions

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF9 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while...great forum! This is my first post. Unfortunately, I am having problems with my PF9. I love the ...

Thread: Kel Tec PF9 questions

Kel Tec PF9 questions

Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking for a while...great forum! This is my first post. Unfortunately, I am having problems with my PF9.

I love the size and would like to use it as my primary carry gun, but I am getting numerous failure to extracts. Generally, 1 out round of every magazine fails to extract. I've put about 200 rounds through it and even shipped it back to the mfgr once. They polished the feed ramp, checked the magazine, and sent it back. I cleaned it up real good before taking it back to the range and...6th round through a fresh magazine failed to extract, and one per mag after that. I've been told I was limp-wristing the gun, but I grip it as firmly as possible. I can also see deep extractor marks on the spent casings. These are NOT stove piping, the round is completely seated on the chamber, with the next round trying to load.

My questions:

* Is the slide supposed to lock open after the last round? This one NEVER has

* Should I keep pouring ammo down the pipe, hoping to "break it in"?

* Should I send it back once more, or dump it and move to something else?

* Any ideas what the issue could be?

I like the idea of the small, 8-round, 9mm CCW gun, but I can't rely on this one to save my life. I'll continue to carry my LCP until I can trust this one.

Thanks!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiabl0 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking for a while...great forum! This is my first post. Unfortunately, I am having problems with my PF9.

I love the size and would like to use it as my primary carry gun, but I am getting numerous failure to extracts. Generally, 1 out round of every magazine fails to extract. I've put about 200 rounds through it and even shipped it back to the mfgr once. They polished the feed ramp, checked the magazine, and sent it back. I cleaned it up real good before taking it back to the range and...6th round through a fresh magazine failed to extract, and one per mag after that. I've been told I was limp-wristing the gun, but I grip it as firmly as possible. I can also see deep extractor marks on the spent casings. These are NOT stove piping, the round is completely seated on the chamber, with the next round trying to load.

My questions:

* Is the slide supposed to lock open after the last round? This one NEVER has

* Should I keep pouring ammo down the pipe, hoping to "break it in"?

* Should I send it back once more, or dump it and move to something else?

* Any ideas what the issue could be?

I like the idea of the small, 8-round, 9mm CCW gun, but I can't rely on this one to save my life. I'll continue to carry my LCP until I can trust this one.

Thanks!
    I can only give you answers based upon my experience with my PF-9.

First, yes without any question the slide should lock back after the last round is fired from the magazine. If your gun does not do that then there is something very wrong.

As for the FTE, I had the same problem at first and discovered from the KelTec Forum that my extractor screw was coming loose. After I tightened the screw with some blue loctite the problem went away. And, even if the screw is slightly loose it will cause FTE.

I might try putting some more rounds through it, using a different mag if possible, to see if the slide locks back. It good very well be the mag.

If I were you, I would send the gun back. My understanding is that KelTec has excellent customer service. I would give them a chance to make the gun right before I got rid of it.

When they work right, they are great carry guns.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I don't have the PF9, but I know that everyone recommended that I switch to Wolff Springs as soon as I bought the P32. I replaced the recoil spring and magazine springs. Never had one issue.

I talked to KT tec support and they sent me a new extractor, screw and spring. While hand cycling the gun I could see the extractor did not always get a full grip into the cartridge. New extractor, spring, screw and loctite cured the FTE problems for me.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I'd send it back to Kel Tec and tell them what is going on with it. They should change your mag springs, fluff and buff it for you, and get it back into tip top shape.

My PF9 has never caused any of the problems your has.

I am very happy with the PF9, it makes a good carry arm for me when I want to carry a 9mm.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

go over to the kel tec org site they got all the answers.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    The chamber might be rough as well. A good polishing might do wonders.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

IT needs to go back to KelTec again, with a list of 'everything' it's doing. It's not right at all.

The one I have seems to have a tight chamber. I have hand loaded some and if the diameter of the case is right on the high side it has problems. I need to buff the chamber to loosen it up slightly but have never had a problem with factory ammo either FMJ or hollow points.

Your not using Wolf Ammo are you?
    The lacquer they put on the steel case can cause it to glue its self into the chamber when the chamber gets hot
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Links