642 range report

642 range report

This is a discussion on 642 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got the chance to go shoot the S&W 642 I got for Christmas. I went to qual with it for backup use as ...

Thread: 642 range report

VIP Member

642 range report

I finally got the chance to go shoot the S&W 642 I got for Christmas.

I went to qual with it for backup use as well as just shoot it to try it out and get used to it. I shot some lead nose reloads that the rangemaster provided me as well as some Monarch 158gr semi-jacketed hollowpoints, and some Winchester personal protection 125gr +P hollowpoints.

I've always been a big proponent of snap caps for getting used to a handgun's trigger, sear set, etc. I'm glad I got them a couple of weeks ago as they really helped out actually firing the thing.

There was a very noticeable difference between the lead reaload/monarch rounds vs the Win +P rounds. The +P Win rounds were painful to shoot. I can't testify as to accuracy since it was windy and I didn't get a paper target to shoot. I only shot at a 1' x 2' steel human shaped target. After getting adjusted to the front sight alignment I was dead on from 10-15 yards which is plenty good for a backup snubbie.

I'm pleased with this weapon as a backup while I'm on-duty or a quick throw in the pocket scenario.
    Rangemaster slipped me some 135 gr +P Speer Gold Dots to carry in it

Afterwards, Sgt wanted to compare his 442 with it. He said several of our undercover narc guys carry the 442.
    He had some Pachmayr grips on his 442 that I thought were pretty good. They completely cover the backstrap, which is what was hurting my hand shooting...the metal backstrap. These Pachmayr grips completely wrap around this and felt really good. They are Pachmayr Compac for J-frame round butt.
    So good, I have some on order and should be in Saturday or Monday.

Rangemaster wasn't concerned about the internal lock and he hinted that it would be removed if any issues arise with it.

I'll post pics in this thread when I get the grips on.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My 642 is my most often carried handgun,it is just so easy to slip in the pocket(I carry mine in a Mika holster) for quick trips to the store/walking the dog/mowing the yard ,etc.Knock on wood but the IL has yet to give me any problems with my 642,after five years and approx. 1500 rds.

Your 642 should serve you well as a backup/off duty carry!

Great little revolvers. I've left mine stock, mainly cause I don't carry it that often and it seldom makes it to the range.

Good BUG for the professionals.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I know watcha mean about the hand abuse. Speer 135gr +P hollow points in my 637 feels like slamming an aluminum baseball bat against a tree. However, I shoot them as straight as lighter loads, so I stick to 'cowboy loads' for the range and keep the heavy-hitters for carry. I'm not going to worry about softening up the grips, as hand-pain will be the least of my concerns if I'm launching the hot stuff.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: I'm not as experienced as y'all but am getting the "hang" of my 642 (internal trigger). I am beginning to understand the difference between "pulling the trigger" and "squeezing the trigger". Kindly correct me if I am wrong but I have found that just pulling the trigger from its initial position usually means an inaccurate shot, while squeezing the trigger almost to firing and then readjusting my aim and finally firing makes a big difference in my accuracy. I guess this relates to length of trigger pull and the resistance of the trigger. Hope I got that across to y'all. I also have a pachmayr decelerator on the 642 and it makes a VERY big difference although it does make the 642 a bit "bigger" than the standard small grip

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    hand-pain will be the least of my concerns if I'm launching the hot stuff.
    I totally agree....I won't be worried about that if my 642 comes into play
    but I'd like to be able to practice with it more to get better with it and that can't be accomplished without a change in grip
    also, the new grip will allow me to position my fingers better and that will have to aid in accuracy/control
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: I'm not as experienced as y'all but am getting the "hang" of my 642 (internal trigger). I am beginning to understand the difference between "pulling the trigger" and "squeezing the trigger". Kindly correct me if I am wrong but I have found that just pulling the trigger from its initial position usually means an inaccurate shot, while squeezing the trigger almost to firing and then readjusting my aim and finally firing makes a big difference in my accuracy. I guess this relates to length of trigger pull and the resistance of the trigger. Hope I got that across to y'all. I also have a pachmayr decelerator on the 642 and it makes a VERY big difference although it does make the 642 a bit "bigger" than the standard small grip
    get some snap caps and practice making that trigger movement smooth and not bounce the sights all over the place
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    get some snap caps and practice making that trigger movement smooth and not bounce the sights all over the place
    Very good advice.

It's amazing how dry-fire practice time improves your shooting. That reminds me, I need to do more of it.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Very good advice.

It's amazing how dry-fire practice time improves your shooting. That reminds me, I need to do more of it.

Biker
    worked wonders with my semi-auto trigger control, muscle memory on sear set, and making faster follow up shots
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Ditto on the Pachmayr Compac grips. They are superb and are only slightly larger than the stock grips. My 642 still conceals easily in a Kramer pocket holster.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    It really is a great pistol. This one belongs to my girlfriend.

My 642 def hurts when you use the +p stuff....

I like using the lighter loads, and I did add some hogue grips that are larger for when I go practicing.

It absorbs a lot of the recoil, but you can still feel that it is there!

I love the gun and it works great for just about anythting.!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Sponsored Links