Broke my SA Micro Compact

This is a discussion on Broke my SA Micro Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Afternoon and Happy New Year, I finally got around to cleaning my P220 after my last trip to the range this afternoon. I bought ...

Thread: Broke my SA Micro Compact

Broke my SA Micro Compact

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year,

I finally got around to cleaning my P220 after my last trip to the range this afternoon. I bought some gun socks recently and was putting them on some pistols in my big safe and I noticed that my Springfield Micro Compact had some surface rust on it.

I brought the gun upstairs to my office to clean it, oil it, put it in the sack and place it back in the safe. After I reassembled the gun I cycled the slide like I always do to move the lubricant along the rails.

I put a magazine in the gun to let the hammer down and something gave way inside of the gun and now the hammer just flops back and forth freely.

My first thought was to call SA since I am the original owner and they have a lifetime guarantee. But after detail stripping my P6 to install a new trigger and tearing my Glock 23 down to parade rest I think I may try to fix it myself.

I haven't opened it up yet but when I do I'll post some photos for input/suggestions.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

2. Remove Ads

sounds to me like the hammer strut pin may have let go,the hammer strut is attached to the hammer and when you pull it back the hammer strut pushes down on the spring assembly which is what gives the hammer the force to strike the firing pin.If you remove the main spring housing you will see the end of the hammer strut
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

EAJ
    My first thought was to call SA since I am the original owner and they have a lifetime guarantee.

Good luck with the repair, but if need be SA will take good care of you regardless of whether you're the original owner or not. They never ask. In addition, for warranty work, they pay shipping both ways. :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My suggestion is to send it back to SA. There may be a bigger problem than just your gun, and if they're not made aware of it....

Let them see the problem. They may decide on a recall.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My suggestion is to send it back to SA. There may be a bigger problem than just your gun, and if they're not made aware of it....

Let them see the problem. They may decide on a recall.
    Thats exactly what I would recommend. Call em up and you'll have a shipping receipt within a day in you in box. Free both ways!

Like EAJ stated they will work on any of their weapons.

Their CS is second to none!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

EAJ:

How do you keep yours so clean? Mine gets little grungy looking brown spots in the bottom of the slide serrations. I don't want to sand, I've tried toothpaste and lemon oil, and they help, but it isn't as clean as yours. It doesn't seem to be spreading, but I like my guns spotless.
    Ideas?
    CLR on a cotton swab? Maybe an emery board on edge? Mother's Polish? Belt sander? (just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    EAJ:

How do you keep yours so clean? Mine gets little grungy looking brown spots in the bottom of the slide serrations. I don't want to sand, I've tried toothpaste and lemon oil, and they help, but it isn't as clean as yours. It doesn't seem to be spreading, but I like my guns spotless.
    Ideas?
    CLR on a cotton swab? Maybe an emery board on edge? Mother's Polish? Belt sander? (just kidding)
    I use Hoppes #9 on a soft toothbrush for mine. Then lube with CLR and take a rag to the whole thing.

Seems to work fine.
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I had to ship the gun back when I first bought it in '01 for an FTE issue.

Mine is the old mil-spec model so it isn't nearly as fancy as yours EAJ. In fact, my brother has a Kimber CDP gun that is nearly identical to your micro.

You guys talked me into it. I'll call Geneseo on Monday and get an RA.

Thanks and have good weekend.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Does it have the lock on the mainspring housing? If that had jammed up the mainspring plunger, that would take the tension off of the mainspring and let the hammer move with no spring tension.

I hate those worse than the S&W locks, seen it happen before.

EAJ
    How do you keep yours so clean? Mine gets little grungy looking brown spots in the bottom of the slide serrations. I don't want to sand, I've tried toothpaste and lemon oil, and they help, but it isn't as clean as yours. It doesn't seem to be spreading, but I like my guns spotless. Ideas? CLR on a cotton swab? Maybe an emery board on edge? Mother's Polish? Belt sander? (just kidding)
    Thanks. I’m a bit anal about cleaning my firearms. I do so each time I shoot regardless of round count. I usually use Break Free CLP and Powder Blast Gun Cleaner with a medium firmness small head tooth brush. I occasionally use cotton swabs or toothpicks in hard to reach areas. When complete I like to use Slide Glide on the rails, barrel, and lugs.

NosaM; good luck with the repair. :)

Links