My Quest - HK P2000SK?

This is a discussion on My Quest - HK P2000SK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like many before me I am on a quest to find the right conceal and carry gun. I am left handed and even though I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Quest - HK P2000SK?

My Quest - HK P2000SK?

Like many before me I am on a quest to find the right conceal and carry gun. I am left handed and even though I can shoot proficiently ambidextrous, I am most comfortable shooting left handed. Needless to say it has been difficult finding guns that are truly ambidextrous or lefty friendly.

I come from a family of gun enthusiasts and I married into a family of gun enthusiasts so I have more than my fare share of opinions to base my search off of. Which brings me to the purpose of my post.

I have (tentatively) narrowed my selection down as follows:
    1. Something in the Springfield XD Subcompact Family.
    2. Something in the Smith and Wesson M&P Subcompact Family.
    3. The HK P2000SK

I am not ready to purchase (still saving my hard earned pennies) but I am leaning heavily towards the HK P2000SK for reasons mentioned above. However, I am finding it difficult to locate this gun in my local stores so that I may handle it and get a feel for its size and concealability. I am also leery of spending $800+ on a gun that I have not had the opportunity to evaluate. I have called several gun ranges within my surrounding area and cannot find anyone who rents HK let alone the P2000SK. So I am turning to you (the members of DefensiveCarry) for opinions on this gun.

Also if anyone knows of a place where I can rent this gun in the Central Florida area please speak up (I am in driving distance to Lakeland, Tampa, Orlando).

I am going to a gun show in Lakeland, FL this weekend so I hope to find one there that I can look at.

Any insights about the quality, accuracy, concealability (especially compared to other conceal and carry guns) would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I have also been looking at the P2000SK but have not yet handled it. From what I have read it looks to be a fair amount heavier than the XD and I'm assuming the M&P as well. My primary carry is the SA XD9sc and I love it. Love it so much that I'm planning on getting the XD40sc as well...mainly due to the fact that I already have a great holster that'll fit both. However...I would try to find that P2000SK and see how it feels. I think you get what you pay for and the added weight of the HK might justify itself.

Well, handling a P2000SK shouldn't be too tough. Simply find a stocking dealer and then call them in advance to ensure that one is in stock prior to visiting.

As for shooting one, that might be very hard to find. I don't know of many ranges that publish the types of guns they have in stock for range rental.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Any insights about the quality, accuracy, concealability (especially compared to other conceal and carry guns) would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm a bit biased toward the HK. It is a very fine pistol. I looked at every compact gun available, took about a year to decide, and finally decided the HK was the one for me. I haven't been disappointed one day in the four years since.

The M&P compact wasn't available then however, but the Springfield was and I found it a good fit too, just didn't "sing" in my hand like the HK does.

I did find the Walther P99c a very close second to the HK.

Whereas they don't have the same ammo capacity, I find the Kahr line, in particular the larger models also excellent CCWs. They aren't 100% ambidexterous though as the HK is.

Do yourself a favor and try to track down a P2000sk to fondle and maybe shoot. Well worth the effort IMHO.

Shoot Straight must have a 2000SK or two in stock.

I had one and put about 1000rds through it within a few months. I got all sorts of ammo (Silver Bear, Wolf) purposely seeing if it would fail. It never did. :)

Of the 3 you mentioned the HK comes in DA/SA (V2)as well as LEM (V2) triggers. I like DA/SA.

If you have smallish hands (I do) it should work pretty well size wise.

In retrospect I would have gotten the regular 2000 as I added an X-grip and carried full sized mags usually. Also, the P2000 comes with S,M and L back straps as opposed to M and L for the SK...at least as I recall.

It shot great. It felt great. I had to sell it, unfortunately. :(

Overall, it felt more "solid" to me as opposed to the offerings you mentioned.

It is more, however and the XD and M&P would get the job done too!
    Regards,

Dean

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My favorite carry gun ever was my P2000 with LEM trigger.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have a P2000 with night sights, HK45C mag release (larger), and it's an LEM which I lowered to 4.5-5.5. I can't explain how much I love this gun. My mother has the SK and I've shot it, but I didn't see the need for a sub compact since I have a PPS. If I didn't have one, then I may have bought them both. It's a great little gun.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I forgot to add in my first post...
    Clyde Armory usually has a HK sale in February.
    https://policeguns.com/catalog/

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I have the LEM P2000 full size...I switched out the finger mags for flat ones and still get a perfect grip...it hides well enough that I don't feel the need the subcompact...

I have both the P2000 and p2000sk in .40 S&W. It is a tough choice between which one to carry. They both are great guns. I lean to the P2000sk only because it is DA/SA and the P2000 is LEM. For me the DA/SA is better.

To:LoveLeather . . . Where did you get the flat base plates? The only ones I could find were the USP flat plates which leave a little gap.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I got them from midway...around 5 bucks each...but with shipping and a $3 handling charge for orders under 25 bucks make sure there isn't anything else you need before ordering...btw, uspc mags are the same as P2000 so the base should fit the same...were they factory HK base plates?...BTW, if you don't need anything else, make sure you pick 1st class mail for shipping and it will only be a few bucks for such a small item...if you don't see that option on the site, call them....:)

My P2000sk (.40, night sights, 4.5# LEM trigger) has been awesome. Eats whatever it's fed, shoots straight, no surprises, natural pointer, hides well and is comfortable. Daily carry in an IWB Crossbreed SuperTuck holster. I vary my magazines between the standard SK 9-round capacity and the P2000/USPc 10-round magazines, each +1 for 10 and 11-round capacity. (I'm in Ca and that's our legal magazine capacity limit. Your mileage may vary.) If using the larger magazine, I use HK's X-Grip spacer to maintain a normal grip profile on the SK. Then the only obvious difference from the P2000 is the shorter barrel and sight radius.

Note, if you get the DA/SA, you cannot convert the P2000sk to LEM later. I carry with one in the chamber and no external safety, very safe way to carry this pistol. Once you get familiar with the LEM trigger, you'll wonder why nobody else has it. Each and every shot has the same clean trigger pull, no exceptions!

Thanks for all of the great replies!

I went to a gun show today and could only find the P2000 seems the SK is trying to allude me. I will call around to a few stores on Monday, I am confident that I can find it somewhere within driving distance.

On a side note, I took a long look at an M&P 40c today it is defiantly becoming a close second to the HK.

jyo
    My experence is with two HK compact 9mm---the P2000 (DA/SA) and the USP Compact also DA/SA. Sizewise, the pistols are close to the same, with the P2000 being somewhat slimmer in the slide. I personally, like the P2000 over the P2000SK just because the grip is slightly longer---the difference in barrel length is too little to matter much. Both pistols shoot pretty much like full-size pistols rather than compact---I like the DA/SA trigger option better then the LEM trigger set-up but have shot LEM pistols and you soon become used to that type of trigger. Both run 100% with any 9mm ammo I shoot---I also have had a early (1994) full-size USP in 9mm and that gun has run 100% for the entire time I have owned it---thats right, nearly 16 years without failure to feed-fire-or eject! Well made and worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Note, if you get the DA/SA, you cannot convert the P2000sk to LEM later.
    Are you sure about that. I know you can do it on the USP series. Did you mean to say you can go from DA/SA to LEM, but not backwards because of where the decocker is?

Here is a guy on HKPRO who did it and says its possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links