what to carry what to carry - Page 2

what to carry what to carry

This is a discussion on what to carry what to carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was considering a PPK or PPS... although I originally wanted one because that's what James Bond carries :P...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was considering a PPK or PPS... although I originally wanted one because that's what James Bond carries :P
    http://www.gunslingersanonymous.com
    Information provided in this post should not be taken as legal advice but is provided to be accurate information as to best of my knowledge

Suggestions...

Judging by your comments, you want a polymer semiauto that is reliable, compact, concealable, and lightweight - but are not particular about caliber or capacity. If I were in your situation my main candidates would be:

1. Glock 36 - .45 ACP
    2. Kahr P9 or P40
    3. Walther PPS 9 or 40
    4. H&K P2000sk in 9 or 40

If you want reliability you should avoid brands like Taurus. I don't own any of the specific guns above, but do own something in each brand above, and can vouch for the brands. Here is one of Ken Lunde's pictures of the P2000sk:

And a frontal shot of a Glock 36:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll definitely be looking into some of these
    Information provided in this post should not be taken as legal advice but is provided to be accurate information as to best of my knowledge

Although I carry my XD9 subcompact every day, I could see it getting a little heavy, thick for a smaller person. Heck, I thought it was getting a little large until I carried my new full size 1911 for a week. Then went back to the XDsc and wow! Almost feels like a pocket pistol! I've only been familiar with the Glocks and XDs so don't have an opinion on others. The 380 micros...P3AT, LCP and Diamondback are all good choices for very small, questionable caliber carry guns. Very easy to slip into a pocket holster and drop into the front or cargo pocket of shorts.

As for your question about the XDm, it is only available in full size or compact but still has the full size, 19 rd magazine grip. Pretty tough to conceal unless you can wear untucked shirts when you carry. Then any size is a piece of cake.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide on.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

The Springfield EMP's are great looking guns. Never shot one so can't offer any comments there. But they sure are pretty...

jyo
    Kahr CW-9---small, lightweight, thin, good trigger, 7+1, low recoil, not high priced, nicely made and shoots right to point of aim. Individual pistols might require a brake-in period or a bit of factory care, but once that is out-of-the-way, mine runs 100%. I would now trust this pistol for any concealed carry defense purpose. I personally would avoid the somewhat smaller PM-9 because the grip is just too small for me and you lose a round in the magazine (6+1). Also, the Walther PPS pistol in 9mm is another good small/thin pistol, especially if you favor a "Glock-like" trigger action. Ruger is about to release a very small version of their 9mm pistol as well. Lots of good choices available now, unlike the good 'ol days!

Size and thickness are part of the CC tradeoff. It's not that you can't carry a full size, it's that you have to really work to dress around it.

I have a S&W MP40c which is a nice size, but double stack 10-shot so still thick. If you wanted a thinner one about the same size, I'd go with the Kahr PM-40, Kel-Tec PF9 or the PPS. My PF9 is my pocket carry rig. Then get a good holster and belt and you'll be ready to roll.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

the list so far:

glock 27
    M&P 40c
    38spl
    ppk
    pps
    springfield emp
    ruger lcp
    glock 26
    9mm s&w
    xd40sc
    springfield xd
    Glock 36 - .45 ACP
    Kahr P9 or P40
    H&K P2000sk in 9 or 40
    P3at
    diamondback
    kahr cw 9
    kahr pm-40
    kel tec pf9

I'm sure the gun store will apperciate me the next time I go in there and want to look at all of these

fugedaboudid

I would throw that list away and get it down to two choices.

1. For reliability, light weight, and concealable - the S&W 642 or 442 38spl +p

2. For reliability, accuracy and capacity - but still pretty light and concealable - the 9mm Glock 19.

But then, testing all those other guns would be fun ...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I would say look at a XDsc if you can handle the width of it.

This is something most of us face as far as size go. You either learn to dress to hide your gun or you find a reliable weapon that will work with what you're willing to wear.

Some people pack full size AIWB but that doesn't work for all of us. Whatever you choose think about it a lot. Has it got a good long record of reliable service and are the bugs worked out of the design. Just about every time a gun guru wants to choose a weapon for me it's either a 1911 (good gun) or the latest and greatest now on the market. You don't want to be a Beta tester like you are with your present carry. Nothing chills your enthusiasm for a carry gun than the frequent click instead of bang or parts falling off.

Smaller is likely to be a 9mm. I like .40 better but 9mm is the caliber with reasonable recoil in the weapon size I choose to EDC. It's all highly subjective and I've got a collection big and small but only a couple I truly carry.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

strongly recommend any kahr, perferably the 9mm because they are the most reliable it seems. A CW9 can be had for about 425 dollars and is super concealable. About the same size as a PPS but with typically better reliablility and a cheaper price.

I really like the Kel Tec P3AT, and really recommend it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Mic
    Not what you carry but how. A good holster makes all the diferance, trust me, I have drawer full of holsters, finaly found one that fits my Glock 27 and me perfectly. Good hunting
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

found several good reviews on the PPS

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ther_May08.pdf

Concealed Carry Forum - walther PPS

sounds like a good gun. still want to test fire and holster a few of these

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links