what to carry what to carry

what to carry what to carry

This is a discussion on what to carry what to carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a taurus millennium .40. After I first got it, the mag fell out after nearly ever shot. I thought it was just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to carry what to carry

Question what to carry what to carry

I currently have a taurus millennium .40. After I first got it, the mag fell out after nearly ever shot. I thought it was just me. After (trying) to take my CWP with the stupid thing, the range instructor told me that every single millennium that has come through his course has done that. I called up taurus since they have a lifetime warranty and the said they fixed (though I haven't had a chance to fire it yet). Still the gun is just to big for me. I'm 5'6" and about 115lbs and there is just no place to put the thing on my little body lol. Someone recommended a springfield xd to me and I like my dad's kel tec .32 he has. Any suggestions? Price is not really important as if I'm going to get something I want to get something worth getting (this time). I'm not apposed to revolvers either. Thanks!
    http://www.gunslingersanonymous.com
    Information provided in this post should not be taken as legal advice but is provided to be accurate information as to best of my knowledge

sgb
    More important is choosing a quality holster and gun belt. You then have to learn how to dress around your carry gun.

Having said that I'm not a Taurus Fan. Look at the Glock 27 or M&P 40c if you're dedicated to the .40
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Best thing to do is to put your hands on as many guns as possible. Spend time in a local gun shop that will allow you to pull the trigger and fondle them for a while. Glocks and Springfields are great guns. If you not opposed to a revolver then a 38spl is easy to conceal.

Of course I'm a big fan of Kahr's but I think it takes someone with a lot of patience to work through the potential bugs. I'm only 5'7" but I weigh a little more than 115lbs. Still I don't wear loose clothing and being from South Texas I don't have the luxury of dressing in heavy clothing. That's why Kahr's were such a good fit for me. Very slim, compact and easy to conceal.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not dedicated to a .40. What about the PPK/PPS? What would you recommend for a holster/gun belt?
    Information provided in this post should not be taken as legal advice but is provided to be accurate information as to best of my knowledge

The PPK is a fine gun. But take a look at Springfield's EMP available in 9mm and .40.

I love mine
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

The Ruger LCP is a high quality Pocket Pistol that can be carried in nearly any weather even when in light clothing such as shorts/tee shirt.
    Try on some different guns for size. It's hard to go wrong with a Pistol from Beretta, Glock, Browning, or Sig. Glock will be offereing the Gen 4 with an adjustable grip in 2010. Yes, there are some really fine guns made by other companies but you have to know specific models, example? Smith and Wesson has produced some junk autos in the past, they also make some of the best.
    Take a look at S&W and Ruger Revolvers too. They are the definition of simplicity and rugged reliability. Stainless steel is very low maintenance. You can also buy aftermarket grips for a revolver to help with a better fit for you.
    I would not go below the 380 for SD. However, 380 has been in very short supply for the past year.
    Recoil is a very subjective matter. The vast majority of new shooters get along just fine with a 9mm auto or 38 Special wheelgun.
    The 40 S&W is THE all purpose caliber and #1 choice of Police.
    If shooting a 357 Magnum or 45 ACP is your thing, by all means go for it! Those are the two top defensive calibers available.
    You should be able to shoot a gun that you are serious about buying.
    As for accessories, get a high quality flashlight, I am partial to Streamlight http://www.streamlight.com/ , with a tailcap switch. You might also consider a weapon mounted light if you choose a gun with a rail system. TLR-1 or TLR-3. Crimson Trace makes a Laser Grip for most popular models, these are expensive but they are high quality, simple and durable.
    HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

glock 27/26, kel tec, or old school wheel gun like the j-frame. look at different gun to see. but a good gun belt and a good well made holster will go a long way no matter what gun you get. you will learn how to dress around your gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You already have a .40, why not step up a little to a .45? Unlike any other Glock, the Glock-36 will fit your hand like no other...give it a try.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Big caliber, heavy guns get heavy at times for big guys. Really heavy for little guys. At 115 pounds, I'd simply suggest trying different size models. There are many quality poly lightweight auto's on the market to pick. I'm not a big guy either (5-9, 160) so I carry an older model thin 9mm S&W auto. It works for my waist. It is stainless, yet lightweight.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    More important is choosing a quality holster and gun belt. You then have to learn how to dress around your carry gun.

Having said that I'm not a Taurus Fan. Look at the Glock 27 or M&P 40c if you're dedicated to the .40
    agree ......... but i would add the XD40sc is just as good as the glock and M&P

The Ruger LCP 380 is a fine smaller gun.

I have an XDsc and a LCP and both of them have worked flawless for me.. depending what i am doing i do carry the lcp primiary...
    remember shot placement is the key
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

thanks for the comments guys. my cwp instructor has a small arsenal that he would probably let me play with so that's probably what I need to do.

I vote for the XD, you'll love it, i know i do!
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I vote for the XD, you'll love it, i know i do!
    never would have guessed from your avatar lol

How about the XDm?
    Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingersa View Post
    never would have guessed from your avatar lol

How about the XDm?
    Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun
    The XDm is a very nice weapon, I chose to go with the original XD though. For the extra money that you'll spend on the XDm, you're going to get interchangable grips, 4 extra 9mm rounds (19+1 instead of 16+1), and a few extra angles on the slide.

IMHO 16+1 is enough ammo since i carry a spare mag, the grip on the XD is the right size for me anyway, and the cosmetic changes to the slide were not enough to pay the extra $100 or whatever the difference is.

Also with your size body, you may want to go with the sub compact which, someone correct me if I'm wrong, isnt out in the M series yet.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Walther PPS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links