Feedback from the 40 to 9mm conversion users

This is a discussion on Feedback from the 40 to 9mm conversion users within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need someone to help me figuere this out. For the life of me, I cannot decide if I should go with the G27or G33 ...

View Poll Results: Which option would you go with?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 27/G33 + 9mm Conversion Barrel

9 36.00%
  • Glock 26 9mm

16 64.00%

I need someone to help me figuere this out. For the life of me, I cannot decide if I should go with the G27or G33 and buy the conversion barrels to shoot 9mm OR if I should just get the G26 9mm.

If I go with the G27/G33 and get a conversion barrel I have the ability to shoot 3 calibers. The disadvantage if that I am not accurate enough with the 40/357, I would be left to carry a conversion 9mm barrel which many people have said that's not a good idea to carry a conversion barrel for the potential reliability issues

If I go with the G26 in 9mm, it's got softer recoil for followup shots but I cannot shoot other calibers and I may be stuck with an inferior CCW caliber.

I am torn. Please vote And I would love to hear form those who have converted from 40/357 to 9mm - how has the reliability been? What brand conversion did you use?

Regardless of reliability, I would not use a conversion barrel in a defensive sidearm for anything but practice. I had good luck with a Storm Lake 40/9mm conversion barrel in a G23, no reliability issues at all with just the barrel and G19 mags. Still...the G23 is a .40, and should be used as designed for serious defensive purposes.

I'm getting ready to retire from LE work, and will be paying for my own ammo soon instead of gobbling up free .40 caliber. To tell you the truth, I've always found my Glock 22 to be annoying to shoot, recoil-wise. Not punishing or unmanageable.....just annoying. I didn't enjoy shooting it, and I LOVE to shoot. I'll be going to a Glock 19 or 26 as my EDC. I don't feel I'm missing much, if anything, by going with 9mm.

Truth be told, 9mm is usually MUCH cheaper to practice with, and there are defensive loads available that are nipping on the heels of .357 magnum ballistics. Hard to beat 15+1 in a light, easy to shoot G19 with 124 grain Gold Dots at 1295 FPS and 462 ft. lbs. of energy. (Double Tap Ammo) If that amount of firepower doesn't work, it's just not your day. Shoulda brought the shotgun!

If I was going to go with .40, the most enjoyable polymer pistol that I've ever shot in .40 is the Beretta PX-4 Storm, with it's rotating barrel. Very soft shooter. If you don't like DA/SA, the M&P .40 full size also shoots and points well. Also, 9mm conversion barrels are available for the M&P models, for cheaper practice. This goes for the compact models as well, but like any gun, the .40 compacts are a bit jumpier in the hand than the 9mm, and you lose a couple of rounds capacity.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I've got a 9mm conversion barrel for my G33 and also a .40 barrel. Very versatile setup that I have access to three calibers with. Things have been very reliable so far. I stick with the .357SIG for carry purposes though. Not that the other calibers are inferior, I just feel more comfy with it setup in it's stock caliber for carry purposes. Just a note, for 9mm, you'll need 9mm mags also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Regardless of reliability, I would not use a conversion barrel in a defensive sidearm for anything but practice. I had good luck with a Storm Lake 40/9mm conversion barrel in a G23, no reliability issues at all with just the barrel and G19 mags. Still...the G23 is a .40, and should be used as designed for serious defensive purposes.

I'm getting ready to retire from LE work, and will be paying for my own ammo soon instead of gobbling up free .40 caliber. To tell you the truth, I've always found my Glock 22 to be annoying to shoot, recoil-wise. Not punishing or unmanageable.....just annoying. I didn't enjoy shooting it, and I LOVE to shoot. I'll be going to a Glock 19 or 26 as my EDC. I don't feel I'm missing much, if anything, by going with 9mm.

Truth be told, 9mm is usually MUCH cheaper to practice with, and there are defensive loads available that are nipping on the heels of .357 magnum ballistics. Hard to beat 15+1 in a light, easy to shoot G19 with 124 grain Gold Dots at 1295 FPS and 462 ft. lbs. of energy. (Double Tap Ammo) If that amount of firepower doesn't work, it's just not your day. Shoulda brought the shotgun!

If I was going to go with .40, the most enjoyable polymer pistol that I've ever shot in .40 is the Beretta PX-4 Storm, with it's rotating barrel. Very soft shooter. If you don't like DA/SA, the M&P .40 full size also shoots and points well. Also, 9mm conversion barrels are available for the M&P models, for cheaper practice. This goes for the compact models as well, but like any gun, the .40 compacts are a bit jumpier in the hand than the 9mm, and you lose a couple of rounds capacity.

I'm with you on the 40sw recoil is just not controllable especially when using the good stuff. To me there is a significant increase in recoil from 9mm to 40sw. And although I love to have 3 calibers in one gun, if I go that route, I might be left w/o a controllable and thus confident CCW?? If I go with the just the 9mm, then I am w/o the swapping abilities and weaker firearm.

Not to pick, but Speer Gold Dots 9mm +P aren't going to give you 1295 fps or 462 ft lbs of energy. The manufacturer only gives them 1220, and when I chronoed them I got 1210 fps.

Since I don't have experience with using conversions in the G27/33 combo I really can't comment on the reliability for the gun. However, if for some reason you do go with that option and find that you don't shoot worth a darn with the 40/357 and have the package deal, it shouldn't be hard to sell, swap or whatever and go with a straight 9mm if you just can't make it work.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I'm with you on the 40sw recoil is just not controllable especially when using the good stuff. To me there is a significant increase in recoil from 9mm to 40sw. And although I love to have 3 calibers in one gun, if I go that route, I might be left w/o a controllable and thus confident CCW?? If I go with the just the 9mm, then I am w/o the swapping abilities and weaker firearm.
    Brother, there ain't nothing weak about 9mm. You are reading too much internet BS from armchair commandos who mostly shoot off their mouths. Especially out of shorter barrels preferred for CCW, 9mm meets or exceeds .45 ACP energy levels, and does so in a more compact, lighter, and easier to shoot pistol. Modern 9mm loads are designed to penetrate and expand to FBI standards...12" or more. I trust a 124 grain Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger or Federal HST moving at 1150-1250 fps to expand more readily than a 230 grain .45 lumbering along at 775-800 fps (maybe) out of a comparably sized 3.5" barrel pistol.

Read this....from someone who has actually used 9mm FMJ in combat:

GunWeek.com

Federal 9BPLE (9mm +P+) has a long track record of success with the Border Patrol and Illinois State Police of stopping bad guys as quickly as a pistol can be expected to, and this is old school "Hi-Shok" bullet technology. I'd expect even better results with modern HST's or any other premium brand.

9mm has worked for over 100 years now. Seriously, if 16 rounds of modern +P 9mm ammo won't get you out of a jam, then neither will 14 rounds of .40 or 12 rounds of .45 in a similar sized gun.

Amateurs argue about caliber. Professionals discuss tactics. 9mm is fine for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Not to pick, but Speer Gold Dots 9mm +P aren't going to give you 1295 fps or 462 ft lbs of energy. The manufacturer only gives them 1220, and when I chronoed them I got 1210 fps.
    DoubleTap Ammunition

Gold Dots from Double Tap Ammo do. And if you think that's impressive, put them in a G17 or a 5" M&P Pro and see what you get.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I vote for the 27 because I think that the 40S&W round is all around better for different reasons JMO
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I use the (blind marked) Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel, along with 9mm magazines, in my G23.

It has been 100% reliable.

Although I prefer the .40 (G27) for carry, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable carrying the converted G23.

I have a Glock 27 with a LWD 9mm conversion barrel, two G26 mags and one G19 mag. After almost 1000 rounds of 9mm, it has been reliable with no FTF's or FTE's. I like the 40 S&W for defense and the 9mm's for the range.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

I find that the 40 SW round is very controllable. It just depends on the pistol used.

In my steel frame SA EMP it is very, very accurate and also controllable. While the 9mm is a very capable round, by the time you get the "good stuff" to approach the 40 SW, you have as much recoil as the 40.

Just my take YMMV.

Bill
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My vote is for the 27 with a conversion barrel. Two for one? Why not?
    I'm getting a G22 and a 9mm conversion (maybe a .357 Sig afterwards), because I like to shoot everything but can't afford to keep buying guns of different calibers.
    As for the reliability for carry? If the conversion proves itself on the range (and it seems most have), why not carry with a conversion? If you find you're aren't as accurate with the .40 as you'd like to be, and you are with the 9mm conversion that has proven to be reliable, pack it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...The disadvantage if that I am not accurate enough with the 40/357, I would be left to carry a conversion 9mm barrel.

If I go with the G26 in 9mm, it's got softer recoil for followup shots but I cannot shoot other calibers and I may be stuck with an inferior CCW caliber.
    1. If you're not comfortable with .40 or .357- stick with the 9mm G26.
    2. I wouldn't worry about "being stuck," 9mm with right ammo is A-OK.
    3. 10 rounds of 9mm followed by a G17 mag of 17 more rounds isn't too shabby!
    4. If (sometime) you decide you want something bigger, then (sometime) you can search for that next gun. Maybe a bigger or heavier frame to absorb recoil.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Links