K Frame Size Revolvers- SW 686 vs. ?

This is a discussion on K Frame Size Revolvers- SW 686 vs. ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am needing to purchase a K Frame size revolver for some upcoming security work. Is there anything comparable to the 686 that I should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Frame Size Revolvers- SW 686 vs. ?

K Frame Size Revolvers- SW 686 vs. ?

I am needing to purchase a K Frame size revolver for some upcoming security work. Is there anything comparable to the 686 that I should consider?

Also, any tips to help with learning that nasty first double action pull? Almost all my shooting experience is with automatics with much softer pulls. Are there any revolver triggers that are "softer" in double action than others?

What can I expect to pay for a used peice? Any signs of wear or misuse particular to the 686 model I should be looking for?

Thanks!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

The S&W 686 is actually an L frame revolver. Their K frames are slightly smaller, and would include the models 65, 66, 19, 13, etc.

The 686 has a good double action trigger. With some practice you can learn to shoot it well. A used 686 with 4 inch barrel should cost about $450 to $500. A comparable gun in another brand is the Ruger GP100, which usually is cheaper than the S&W.

I have two of the 686s, in 6 inch and 2.5 inch barrels.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    The 19 or 66 would be my choice... Summit Gunbrokers has a 4" model 19 for $395, it looks pretty nice...

Summit K Frames
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have a S&W M65-2 with a pinned barrel and if you want to PM me with your phone #s,We can talk about it. richgp100z

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    I am needing to purchase a K Frame size revolver for some upcoming security work. Is there anything comparable to the 686 that I should consider?

Also, any tips to help with learning that nasty first double action pull? Almost all my shooting experience is with automatics with much softer pulls. Are there any revolver triggers that are "softer" in double action than others?

What can I expect to pay for a used peice? Any signs of wear or misuse particular to the 686 model I should be looking for?

Thanks!

J
    Not sure what you mean by "nasty first" double action pull, because all the pulls of a DA revolver are the same, unless the ratchet has a burr, or the ejector rod is bent. I also wonder what DA pistol you have used, because the only true DA autopistol I know with trigger pulls as sweet as a K-frame, is the SIG DAK system. Perhaps the autos you have handled are actually things like the Glock "safe-action" and various other pistols that partially cock the striker for you.

As already indicated, the 686 is built on the heavier L-frame. I believe K-frames to be notably easier to carry all day, compared to L-frames and their colleague, the Ruger GP100. Unless you need to carry magnum loads, I recommend the lighter K-frames, in .38 Special. I believe S&W discontinued its K-frame .357 magnum sixguns, largely because too many high-pressure, light-bullet magnums loads wore them out too quickly. Modern shooters favor these loads, rather than the old-school heavy-all-lead-bullet loads, so S&W felt it prudent to discontinue the old-school K-frame .357 sixguns. I could get more technical than this, but am not sure it is necessary here.

Perhaps you are confusing the LONGER double-action pull of a sixgun for NASTY. I like the longer-stroke DA weapons just fine, and favor them.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Better than a 686?
    Nasty trigger pull?
    Have you ever fired a 686?
    I have a 686+(3" barrel) and a GP100(6" barrel), night and day difference in the triggers and accuracy.
    Rent and shoot a 686 and tell me if you don't love the trigger.
    A long trigger pull can contribute to great target shooting if you get used to it and the trigger on a 686 is one of the best factory triggers I've ever found, I actually shoot the 686 more accurately in DA than SA, the Ruger GP100 is a bit gritty and my Model 36 is just plan nasty is DA, but great single action.
    Try one.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

First off,

Thanks for correcting my knowledge guys. I mean by "nasty" pull is that first double action pull. I guess I want to tame that "flyer" on the first shot, which will only come with practice. The K frame I confused I guess with the L frame, as they are all listed together under medium frames on the SW website.

Off to rent a few in the next few weeks!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

My 686 (L-frame) trigger is very good... not quite as good as my Model 15-4 (K-frame) but close.

The older the gun generally the better (smoother) the trigger is in general.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

jyo
    It sounds to me like you need a 7 shot 4" 686! Shoot it and the trigger will smooth out and this can be the only revolver you will ever need---unless you decide you need to go handgun hunting and require a bigger bang.

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    It sounds to me like you need a 7 shot 4" 686!
    You mean like this one? This really IS the perfect gun.

S&W makes a K frame mod 67 in .38 spec. SS, adj sights, great gun.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    Guns America had several model 66's with 4" barrel of late manufacture, 2004 I think, for around 4$00-500.

I want to clarify the first thing that came to my mind regarding the trigger. I noticed you said the nasty first shot. A DA revolver is going to continue to have a firm DA pull through all shots. Unlike a Semi auto which can be DA/SA that may have a DA first shot and the remainder being SA. Revolvers with an exposed hammer may be shot SA as well but is frowned upon for self defense.

The K-Frame magnum revolvers are the best for concealed carry .357 Magnums in my view. They've all been unfortunately discontinued in favor of L-Frame .357 Magnums.

K-Frame .357 Magnums with fixed sights are represented by the Models 13 and 65. These two models have a cult following with their available 3-inch barrels and are also available in 4-inch length. The models with adjustable sights are the Models 19 and 66. They are available in the useful 2 1/2-inch barrel lengths along with 4-inch and 6-inch lengths.

"Revolvers with an exposed hammer may be shot SA as well but is frowned upon for self defense."

Presumably frowned on primarily on internet forums.

The proscription of utilizing the single action capability in a double action revolver is bunk. I am capable of shooting a revolver DA but if, in a self defense situation, I deem it necessary to cock the revolver in order to gain an accuracy advantage I will do so. Such revolvers were designed with with a single action feature for a reason and it has nothing to do with "sporting use."

No doubt I whole heartedly agree. If I am being attacked and I feel a SA shot is going to give me the edge you can bet your bottom dollar that hammer will be cocked. As you mention the only place I have ever seen it being a negative is on the web but if you see it on the web it must be true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links