Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. A lengthy review

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. A lengthy review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This pistol was manufactured in November 2009. I bought it new from a local gun shop. Out of the box, it would fail to go ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. A lengthy review

This pistol was manufactured in November 2009. I bought it new from a local gun shop. Out of the box, it would fail to go into battery on the last round in every magazine, with PMC, Cor-Bon, WWB, and Independence ammunition. I fired the requisite 500 rounds through it, and as that period ended, the pistol was also starting to lock the slide back on the 3rd or 4th round in the magazine about every 3rd mag. I tried Wilson, Tripp, and Wolff magazines. I bought a Wolff XP spring for the stock Kimber magazine. Nothing worked. The other magazines actually made it worse. I contacted Kimber, and spoke with a customer service representative who emailed me a UPS slip, and told me they would fix it, and to expect a 4-6 week turn around time. They said they would call me the day they shipped it, so I would know to expect it. I received the pistol back in just a shade under two weeks, and no one called me when it shipped out. I shipped the pistol to them in perfectly clean condition, they shipped it back to me after test firing it, filthy. If it had been lost in the mail, it probably would have rusted. So I cleaned it up and took it too the range. 2 mags of Cor-Bon, perfect. I'm feeling pretty good. After all, I do love this pistol, it's sexy, and it shoots tight, tight groups. I love 'em tight. Then I fire a box of Federal Champion 230gr FMJ. Failure to go into battery last round of every mag. A box of PMC bronze 230gr FMJ. Failure to go into battery every mag, last round, and slide locks to rear mid-mag. A box of Independence 230gr FMJ. No malfunctions, thank Jesus. A box of WWB JHP, 1 stove pipe. I want to get rid of it, but I don't want to dump these problems onto someone else. It jams more than a 50 dollar Saturday Night Special.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

JD
    Administrator
    Did Kimber send back a list of what they did to the gun?

I'd send it back again, give 'em one more shot and then sell the gun if they can make it run.

I hate saying it, but it seems you rolled the dice and lost.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your trouble... I'd let them try and service it one more time and hopefully they'll get it right...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I sent the rep I was working with an email describing my shooting experience. The paper they sent back said:
    1. Complimentary Services performed.
    2. Clean and oil pistol (Before test fire)
    3. Refinished Barrel
    4. Slide stop, replaced
    5. Ejector, 370 Installed
    6. Extractor, replaced.
    Do Not Use magazine other than Kimber.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.

Thanks for the post

I have been considering the Kimber crimson carry. The only reason I didn't purchase one today is because my local dealer just treated me poorly during the process, so I decided to look elsewhere. Maybe I will just stick with my XD's. They are ugly but totally reliable.

I wouldn't say they're all like mine, but a quick google search turns up tons of people saying the same thing I am, even after repeated returns for repairs.

I feel for you man.

A wise man once told me - "Kimbers are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies."

Send it back to them, along with a bill for all the ammo you've spent trying to "break it in."

Hopefully you've learned a hard lesson - "tight" is NOT a good thing in a defensive handgun.

Best of luck getting it fixed!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I feel for you man.

A wise man once told me - "Kimbers are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies."

Send it back to them, along with a bill for all the ammo you've spent trying to "break it in."

Hopefully you've learned a hard lesson - "tight" is NOT a good thing in a defensive handgun.

Best of luck getting it fixed!
    It's not an issue of "tight" it's an overall Kimber issue, people don't refinish barrels, replace extractors and ejectors because a gun is "too tight"

I've had tighter and looser 1911s run just as good as any _____.

That is sad to hear. Santa brought me a TLE/RL II for Christmas and I've fired about 300 flawless rounds through it. I am going back to the range today to fire another 150 rounds before I try JHP carry ammo.

Kimber sure seems to be hit or miss. Wonder if there is any truth to the rumor the shorter barreled models are more prone to jamming.

I am grateful mine has been OK so far. Seems like if they work NIB they continue to run and if they have problems, they don't.

I have a SIS Pro and it did have to FTF's in the first 300 rounds WWB 230's, after that it has been perfect and the most accurate 1911 I have owned including a 70 series Gold Cup. Check the feed ramp above the break over point and see if you are getting a lot of copper build up. If so try some 0000 steel wool or small felt wheel polisher there but don't change the angle. From some of the Kimbers I have seen the nose of the HB rounds seems to catch there, may solve the HB feeding problem.
    For what its worth "I" think the Kimber mags are crap...I use Tripp 7R-45-WG's and there is no comparison!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

It is true the shorter guns tend to have more problems than full size 1911s.

However, this is getting more and more commonplace with factory 1911s. I'm about sworn off buying a factory gun. I'm either going to save up and buy an Ed Brown or a Baer, or pass all together. I'm not willing to drop $800-1300 on a factory gun that doesn't run. My latest story was one of the guys that worked at the local gun shop bought a Springfield TRP and on about the 10th mag the hammer snapped off. Springfield fixed it of course, in about a month. He said "It happens. It's been a great gun. Run it really wet, keep it clean and feed it only hardball and you won't have any problems..." On a $1400 gun? Really?

I'd be spitting fire if I were you. I'm sick of hearing about all these guys having to have their guns worked on to RUN RELIABLY! The number one requirement for a carry gun!

A few friends have bought new Kimbers lately and I hear "well for every one you hear about having problems how many don't have any problems at all?" Don't know, don't care, a reputation for declining quality guns and mediocre customer service aren't something I'm looking to spend my money on.

Call Kimber and tell them you want to be refunded BY THEM because you aren't going to dump off a gun that doesn't work on to someone else. It's been done before.

I'm going to try one more return, and see if that fixes it. I really don't have my hopes up though. If the next return doesn't fix it, I'm going to ask that Kimber pay to have a certified 1911 smith fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It's not an issue of "tight" it's an overall Kimber issue, people don't refinish barrels, replace extractors and ejectors because a gun is "too tight"

I've had tighter and looser 1911s run just as good as any _____.
    I agree - my reply was more aimed at the OP's comment that he "likes them tight."

While there are "tight" pistols out there that are reliable, hopefully we can agree on the general concept that..."tight" pistols have a closer fit between their parts. This is wonderful, if you are looking for tight groups at your next match event.

However, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The trade-off for that "tight" fit is less margin for error and a narrower operating window. Throw in some high-side of spec ammo, and/or low-side of spec magazines, and/or improper lube (too much or too little), and/or dirt, dust, and debris...and a "tight" pistol has a higher probability of malfunctioning than a combat pistol that is built to looser tolerances.

Of course, that Kimber is supposed to be a defensive/combat pistol...so go figure. That's why I've said that I will never again buy a defensive pistol that has a manufacturer-specified "break-in" period. That tells me that the tolerances are just too tight for reliability in a combat pistol. My opinion, FWIW. And - there is a difference between "test firing" a new pistol, and the maker telling you you must "break it in" before it can be considered reliable.

JMHO, YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the review..I was actually looking at a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry 2 for a next addition to the collection.....But not very impressed by the problems you have had.

I own a Pro Tactical Special Edition and did have some problems with FTF but with a Wilson mag change it fixed it.

I am so glad I didn't buy the Kimber I was recently considering. It was the thought of this particular example that made me decide to steer away from them.

Hope it all works out in the end for you OP.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links