Glock 36, opinions?

This is a discussion on Glock 36, opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired a NIB Glock 36, .45auto. I really like the weapon. The size seems just right for CC. I'm new to Glock. Previously ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36, opinions?

Glock 36, opinions?

I recently acquired a NIB Glock 36, .45auto. I really like the weapon. The size seems just right for CC. I'm new to Glock. Previously only owned S&W revolvers. I see a lot of discussions about Glocks, with most all their calibers being represented, but very seldom the model 36. Have I missed something? I haven't carried the 36 yet, it's still NIB. The guy I bought it from really wants to buy it back. Any recommendations?

2. Remove Ads

i got one and don't carry it. it is a nice gun, but i carry the g27. i put on the plus one mag extention on some of my mags and kept some factory. did not matter to me either way. the only thing that you should need is a good holster. that is the thing about glocks. they don't need anything, they work right out of the box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It's a Glock. What's not to like? They work.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm going to get a collective whipping for this post, but here goes:

I've owned and carried a Glock 36 for about three years. I shoot about 50 rounds a week with it. For carry, I use Corbon Ammo with Barnes DPX bullets in the short-barreled load. I have three different holsters. I find the gun pleasant to shoot, delightful to hold (fits my hand very well), and easy to carry. At one point or another, I shot or carried nearly all other Glock models.

Despite this, I'm coming to regard the 36 as a pointless weapon for concealed carry. With the right bullets, powder charge, and shot placement, I think I could have about the same stopping power with a revolver. A revolver would weigh less, take up less space, and have fewer parts. I'm not the slightest bit interested in reloading speed - despite the preferences of many people, the chances of needing to reload in a civilian defense situation are almost unbelievably small. (Statistically, carrying almost ANYTHING else besides a spare magazine is a better use of your energy.) The Glock only offers about six shots as well, which isn't much better than a revolver. I'm thinking of switching to a S&W +P .38 airweight with Crimson Trace grips.

What I'm saying is this - unless you are obsessed with a fast reload, I don't think a compact large-bore automatic has anything to offer that a revolver doesn't do better. It just looks cooler...

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I love mine. Don't sell it back to him. Why did he sell it in the first place, if he still wants it?
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Love mine - it gets carried much more often than my Glock 26. It'll eat anything you feed it (jacketed bullets only, please) and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Easy to strip, easy to clean and easy to carry IWB.

If you're looking for an inexpensive but comfortable & well built holster for the 36, take a look at the High Noon Mr. Softy. Great product for the price, and all day long comfortable.

CCW Glock 36

I completed my Concealed Carry Class last November and got my permit the first of December, purchased a Glock 36 the 2nd week of December at a Gun Show, I am left handed thus part of the reason for my fondness of Glocks. I purchased a Wilderness SafePacker holdster and a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe holster. I am using the Safepacker now, and I haven't tried the SuperTuck yet. The Glock 36 has about 70 rounds through it, 230gr ball, Remington, Winchester, reloads, and even Corbon 165gr Defense rounds, and it has shot them all without any problems.
    The Safepacker doesn't really look like a holster, so even if people see it they don't know what you have in it, could be a CD Player or even a medicine dispatch.
    My Wilderness Tactical Safepacker is the officer's model (left hand) and I can fit the gun and one clip in it. I also purchased +1 Pierce extentions for my clips thus giving me 7 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. I agree with the previous post that an extra clip probably would not be needed and I might quit carry a 2nd magazine.
    My SuperTuck Deluxe Holster is inside the waistband type, after the holidays I put on a few pounds, I tried it but it is a little tight until I can get my weight back down a few lbs.
    I think you will enjoy you Glock 36 and I would not sell it back.
    marcus40

Absolutely love it. No issues and does exactly what it was built to do, Go Bang! Every time you pull the trigger. I carry it in a MTAC IWB from Comptac.

Quote Originally Posted by lyeffion View Post
    I recently acquired a NIB Glock 36, .45auto. I really like the weapon. The size seems just right for CC. I'm new to Glock. Previously only owned S&W revolvers. I see a lot of discussions about Glocks, with most all their calibers being represented, but very seldom the model 36. Have I missed something? I haven't carried the 36 yet, it's still NIB. The guy I bought it from really wants to buy it back. Any recommendations?
    JMO, Keep that sucker!

I have one and it's a fantastic CC or HD pistol. I'll never sell, or trade mine and it's a Glock. I CC a G26, but if someone was to kick my door in, I'll introduce him or them to my G36 with confidence in both the platform and the .45 caliber. I have several hundred rounds down range so far and not a malfunction of any kind. Bottom line, my G36, is a keeper.

Just curious, why doesn't he just buy another one? I'm guessing you got it for some unbelievable price and he would like to reacquire it for the same. I don't know, for me I'd say I'm not a pawn shop, but if it would destroy a good friendship, that's something you'll need to weigh out and decide on for yourself. Either way, the G36 is a heck of a .45, tough decision for sure.

Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    I'm not the slightest bit interested in reloading speed - despite the preferences of many people, the chances of needing to reload in a civilian defense situation are almost unbelievably smal

What I'm saying is this - unless you are obsessed with a fast reload, I don't think a compact large-bore automatic has anything to offer that a revolver doesn't do better. It just looks cooler...
    No beat down from me sir, but I'd like to just point out that the times are changing and the dirtbags of late seem to travel in packs i.e. Gangs. IMO, 5 rounds of just about any caliber isn't what it used to be. It's my opinion that, I'd rather be prepared for a reload than not. Stay safe!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The 36 was known to be the most problematic of the Glocks years ago. Since then Glock has made some changes and it should be g2g. Just shoot it and get a good feel for it and carry that sucker!

I have not tested there new modified G36 but I sold my old one. Too many issues. It's the only Glock I don't like / trust - but I heard they have it working - I'll stick with my G30
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

This model seems to be the hit or miss glock. Some work 100% and some never get the bugs worked out. Make sure you practice with your defensive ammo before you trust your life on it.

My 36 runs like a top. It is flat and easy to carry, like a lightweight version of the 1911. I forget it's there most of the time. It definitely has a place in my carry stable.

A revolver weighs less ?? Maybe a little snubbie alloy framed 5-shot Smith. And I don't think it does the job "better" than the 36. I guess it works for some though.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    While the voices of the Glock fanboys are very loud, there is a caveat you should be aware of. Glocks in 9mm are perhaps the most reliable of all modern personal defense handguns. That said, some of the other calibers do not enjoy the same legendary Glock reliability of their 9mm cousins. The .40's with their famously unsupported case problems is just one example of the fallibility of a design that was originally built around the 9x19 cartridge. I have a G27 (I really don't care for it all that much) but is has not failed on me but if you do a Google search for Glock kabooms and Glock problems you will notice that many of the documented issues are on the non-9mm models.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links