Accuracy problems with .45 acp with 3.25 barrel

Accuracy problems with .45 acp with 3.25 barrel

This is a discussion on Accuracy problems with .45 acp with 3.25 barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range today and fired about 50 rounds of 230 grain Remington UMC, 10 rounds of 185 grain Rem. Golden Sabers and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Accuracy problems with .45 acp with 3.25 barrel

I went to the range today and fired about 50 rounds of 230 grain Remington UMC, 10 rounds of 185 grain Rem. Golden Sabers and 10 rounds of 230 G PMC out of a Taurus PT145 which has a 3.25 " barrel . At 3 yards I was able to shoot the bulls-eye out of my target with 3 mags and had about five flyers which were within 6" of the bulls-eye.I do not profess to be an excellent shot!

Took the target out to 5 yards and my accuracy was pathetic. fired 10 rounds and hit the target 5" low 5 times in about a 7" grouping..where the other 5 went who knows? My question is should I expect better accuracy at 5 yards out of my short barrel or should I be looking at something else as being my problem.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

DMM
    Can't vouch for a Tarus, but with a Kimber Ultra (3") Holding a 8" group at 15 yards two handed is not difficult. I do prefer a Kimber Pro (4")which makes that 8" group at 25 yards using the same UMC ammo relatively easy. Thghtening down to 5" takes focus. Check the manual on the sight picture POA or 6:00. With a Springer EMP 9mm (3") I get the same results but the sight picture is completely different than the Kimbers. All three weapons have match barrels. For me at least, using a three inch 45 takes concentration.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Shoot from a rest. That will tell you it is likely not the pistol. The pistol will project the round exactly where it is aimed at the instant of ignition.

I am older and find accuracy is better at the beginning of the range session than later. I had a 35 year period away from pistol shooting. Now I am trying to make my way back. The laser is a wonderful help for me. I will never be like I was before, but I am safe at self defense distances.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would guess that your issue is more with you than your firearm.

Ballistics over the distances between 3 yards, 5 yards, 15, or 25 are nearly identical. Ideally, if you double the distance you shoot at, your group size will double. In practice I find it a little more difficult to shoot at things further away so my groups get slightly more than double at twice the distance. Wind, bullet spin, bullet drop, parallax, cant, and the like don't start to be significant until long distances (more than a few hundred yards). Even handgun sight alignment makes little difference at 5 yards. There are guys who can shoot snub nose revolvers at 100 yard distances. They are exceptional, but it goes to show short barrels are just fine.

Modern pistols are inherently capable of grouping 5 inches at 25 yards. Good ones are even better!

Hence, considering the poor grouping at 5 yards, the shooter is most likely the cause.

Avoid fatigue. Take breaks. Try for consistent grip (as high as possible), consistent sight alignment, and a good trigger pull. That is really all there is to it. Moving where you put your finger on the trigger sometimes has big effects in accuracy.

Dry fire is free and valuable. Mixing in snap caps with live ammo at random is great to cure flinching. Practicing these fundamentals with a .22lr pistol might be cheaper than your .45 and helps avoid flinching habits.

Keep at these short distances until you have very consistent results with no flyers. Than gradually move your target back.

Best of luck! I have to practice my fundamentals frequently or I shoot terribly.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Thanks for the advice guys..I agree it is me that is the problem. I also agree with the idea of getting a 22 pistol to get more trigger time. Another thing I noticed was that I was flinching, think I need to invest in some better ear protection.

Most of my experience with firearms was with the M16 while in the the army. I took about a 15 year break from shooting. Feel like I am a rookie all over again!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Can't vouch for a Tarus, but with a Kimber Ultra (3") Holding a 8" group at 15 yards two handed is not difficult. I do prefer a Kimber Pro (4")which makes that 8" group at 25 yards using the same UMC ammo relatively easy. Thghtening down to 5" takes focus. Check the manual on the sight picture POA or 6:00. With a Springer EMP 9mm (3") I get the same results but the sight picture is completely different than the Kimbers. All three weapons have match barrels. For me at least, using a three inch 45 takes concentration.
    Yes, you should expect better accuracy out to 5 yards.
    But do keep in mind...
    In a WalMart parking lot, 7 - 10 feet is all you're going to need to hit CoM...my Kimber Ultra is deadly accurate way beyond that distance.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yes, you should expect better accuracy out to 5 yards.
    But do keep in mind...
    In a WalMart parking lot, 7 - 10 feet is all you're going to need to hit CoM...my Kimber Ultra is deadly accurate way beyond that distance.
    I was tickled with what I was doing at 3 yards...moved it out to 5 and was devastated

I wear glasses, thanks to my poor eyesight...I do not plan on engaging anyone past 21 feet. However, I know I need to be confident in my ability to hit where I am aiming at that distance.

After 50 rounds with the short barreled Taurus, your hand and wrist will be tired from the recoil.

Try shooting at 5 yards when fresh at the range and see if your shooting improves.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    I was tickled with what I was doing at 3 yards...moved it out to 5 and was devastated

I wear glasses, thanks to my poor eyesight...I do not plan on engaging anyone past 21 feet. However, I know I need to be confident in my ability to hit where I am aiming at that distance.
    Get yourself into a 'point shooting' course...you won't need those glasses or your sights.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    After 50 rounds with the short barreled Taurus, your hand and wrist will be tired from the recoil.

Try shooting at 5 yards when fresh at the range and see if your shooting improves.
    The flyers @3 yards happened in my first mag. My Taurus has the heine straight 8's, so I had to adjust my aim so that I was covering the Bullseye with the front post. Also made sure I was following through with my trigger pull. Got poi at poa.

Used same grip,stance, sight picture and trigger pull at 5 yards I didn't really feel tired. But I did feel rushed for some reason. It could be as you said, that I was tired and that was making me rush my shots.

I also wonder if heating up the gun caused some of the problems...I went through the first 50 rounds quickly.

I have been dissecting my trigger time ever since I left the range.

The problem, I am sorry to say, is most likely yours.
    my XD40SC fires very well with over 200 rounds at a time.

and at 25 yards.
    there is no substitute for practice.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

You can practice trigger pull at home,make sure gun is unloaded,then make sure gun is unloaded,then make sure gun is unloaded,then pick a spot on the wall and line your sights up,then squeeze the trigger while keeping sights on target,repeat as necessary until you are able to keep sights on target without flinching,also 22's are good practice guns to develope good shooting habits
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What's the round count of the PT145?

Is the barrel shot out? You can visibly see by looking down the bore. If there's not much difference between lands and grooves the barrel is shot out and accuracy is out the window.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    What's the round count of the PT145?

Is the barrel shot out? You can visibly see by looking down the bore. If there's not much difference between lands and grooves the barrel is shot out and accuracy is out the window.
    Only 263 rounds through it, it's not even broke in yet.

No kidding! Did it break your wrist?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links