Concerned about purchasing a used gun

This is a discussion on Concerned about purchasing a used gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have really been eyeing PT145's recently as I just really want to carry a .45. All in all it's a great little package. Small, ...

Thread: Concerned about purchasing a used gun

Concerned about purchasing a used gun

I have really been eyeing PT145's recently as I just really want to carry a .45. All in all it's a great little package. Small, concealble, good capacity. So today I walked into my local gun store with the intention of walking out with one. They had a blued pt145 pro in the case for 350.00. Then the sales clerk says to me "We have one used as well if your interested".

I have only purchased one used gun in my time. A colt 1911 series 80 from one of the local ranges and the guy let me shoot it before I commited. My concern is this. I know that a lot of people sell a gun when they get a "lemon". I understand that Taurus has a life time warranty but it still makes me a bit nervous. I keep thinking that someone sold it because it didn't function properly. The used one is only 50 bucks cheaper. Should I just pay the extra and go with brand new or take the risk on the used one?

On a totally unrelated note a question for current pt145 owners. Does yours function with reloads? I had a 709 that would not feed my dads reloads but that could have been due to him loading his 9mm loads fairly light. I don't really want to purcahse a .45 that wont shoot reloads as I cant afford to put a lot of factory ammo through it and I like to shoot my primary carry piece as much as possible.

On another totally unrelated note can someone quickly explain the difference between the Taurus standard and pro edditions?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I had a pt140 that was flawless and I sold it to fund a better gun. It also depends on which gen the used one is. The 1st and 2nd gens had some trouble with cracking slides, but they seem to have gotten that taken care of with the 3rd gen.

If it's a matter of $50 and you're this skeptical, why not just go new for peace of mind?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I had a pt140 that was flawless and I sold it to fund a better gun. It also depends on which gen the used one is. The 1st and 2nd gens had some trouble with cracking slides, but they seem to have gotten that taken care of with the 3rd gen.

If it's a matter of $50 and you're this skeptical, why not just go new for peace of mind?
    I agree, for the difference go with the new one.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A couple of my local shops offer a warranty outside that of Taurus' and/or a buy back (24 hours) on used guns. A used gun may have issues resolved before you buy it, but you never know! The differenece in prices seems too close to me. As an example, I bought a used Glock 22 last summer for $200 less than the cost of a new one. Sounds like a tough decision.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Links