Please Tell Me What You Think About This!

This is a discussion on Please Tell Me What You Think About This! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A question often asked in other forums and also in DC is, what kind of gun a person without previous gun experience should buy; furthermore, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Tell Me What You Think About This!

GM [OP]

Question Please Tell Me What You Think About This!

A question often asked in other forums and also in DC is, what kind of gun a person without previous gun experience should buy; furthermore, that person wants the gun just for causal shooting. I guess that “casual shooting” does not imply a CC firearm, but a gun for home defense which is not going to visit the range very often (that is the way I interpret it). Some people recommend a good revolver, 3” or 4” 357 because it is a well proved option. My knowledge about revolvers is limited; however, I think that a 3” 357 can be a little difficult - if not pretty nasty - to shoot for someone with non gun experience and that wants a gun “just for casual shooting”. Actually, I should recommend that person not to get a handgun, but a 20 gauge pump shotgun, which does not have much recoil at all and is very easy to use; just point and pull the trigger. And if he/she definitely wants a handgun, I do not consider that a 3” or 4” 357 is very appropriate. I am not making a statement here, I am just asking because I might have missed something.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I recommend that a person without any previous handgun experience find an NRA beginner's pistol course and sign up for it. There they should be able to learn how to safely handle and shoot a variety of handguns. Find the one that they are most comfortable with and go from there.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I'll second what mavrik46 mentioned about first attending a basic handgun course. Here in Vegas I know of several gun shops that have a basic handgun safety course. Once he/she understands the basics of handgun safety that's the time to buy your first handgun.

I'd recommend a revolver for a beginning/novice shooter. Less chance of a malfuction. A 357 may be "too much" gun for this type person. A better option might be .38 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. A .38 snubbie may have too much recoil for a beginning shooter.

A shotgun is a good option that doesn't require very much accurary in an home invasion situation. A handgun requires much more accuracy.

IMHO!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrik46 View Post
    I recommend that a person without any previous handgun experience find an NRA beginner's pistol course and sign up for it. There they should be able to learn how to safely handle and shoot a variety of handguns. Find the one that they are most comfortable with and go from there.
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

And I would suggest a .357, 4 in.(for the weight/recoil absorbtion) capabilities, and shooting regular .38 ammo,for target, and quite possibly .38+ p (if their confidence level is up there) for Self/home defense

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

GM [OP]
    I am afraid that if someone clearly states “casual shooting” it implies that the individual is not going to go to the range very often, and even less be interested in taking a handgun course. I agree with you, but we have to realize that not all the people are interested in guns like most of the members in this forum are. Unfortunately, the reality is that many people buy a gun for home-defense and they never fire it. I know that “casual shooting” is not the right approach, but I just was trying to figure out which firearm should be the most suitable for them according to what they say, and without trying to make them do things they might say they should do, but that they never will do.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I am afraid that if someone clearly states “casual shooting” it implies that the individual is not going to go to the range very often, and even less be interested in taking a handgun course.
    couldn't have said beter myself. However if this person is serious, I sudgest, like many other on hear, get into a gun safety class, visit local gun stores, resurch and find the hand gun that is right.

Personaly I think a 3-4in .357 would fit the bill, and a shotgun is still an apotion if home defence is what is realy wanted.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    While a shotgun is a good choice for someone who wants it for home protection only, many may feel a shotgun is too bulky and hard to maneuver through the house. My personal recommendation, if they want a handgun, is still a 3-4" .357. While it may be a handful for a novice to shoot with full house .357 magnum loads, it will shoot .38 special loads. With the weight of the gun a .38 load is fully manageable. If they do start shooting more, they can always move up to .357 mag loads. If they buy a .38 to start, they are stuck with a .38.
    Last edited by archer51; January 18th, 2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling

+1 for the posts above.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I'll second what mavrik46 mentioned about first attending a basic handgun course. Here in Vegas I know of several gun shops that have a basic handgun safety course. Once he/she understands the basics of handgun safety that's the time to buy your first handgun.

I'd recommend a revolver for a beginning/novice shooter. Less chance of a malfuction. A 357 may be "too much" gun for this type person. A better option might be .38 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. A .38 snubbie may have too much recoil for a beginning shooter.

A shotgun is a good option that doesn't require very much accurary in an home invasion situation. A handgun requires much more accuracy.

IMHO!
    If it has to be a handgun I was thinking too about a 38 with 4” barrel. Like you say a snubbie may have too much recoil. I think that a 38 +p should also be too much for that kind of person. And if their confidence level should go up in the future, they can get other gun then. Rather buying other gun in the future than having a gun they are afraid of shooting or that they shot themselves in the foot.

I would agree with the above about 4" 357 and using 38's in it at first. I bought the Glock 21 for my first pistol--I've never had a problem with it, and learned to shoot with it. Easy to control, just as fun to shoot. The only difficulty is understanding the mechanisms a little, and learning to handle a pistol without an external safety.
    So if they do not want to go with the revolver, then I suggest the G21 to start with.
    Last edited by uncballzer; January 18th, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: syntax
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
    I would agree with the above about 4" 357 and using 38's in it at first. I bought the Glock 21 for my first pistol--I've never had a problem with it, and learned to shoot with it. Easy to control, just as fun to shoot. The only difficulty is understanding the mechanisms a little, and learning to handle a pistol without an external safety.
    So if they do not with to do the revolver, then I suggest the G21 to start with.
    I have heard that if you use a cal 38 in a 357 it loses power; is it true?

VIP Member
    No, a .38 fired out of a 4" .357 revolver will have the same ballistics as a .38 fired from a 4" .38 revolver.

No! You would have the same effects of a .38 round in either a .38 pistol or a .357 pistol. You can also vary the power of the .38 round type you want to use (use a mild load for starters).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep. 4" revolver in .357 gives you all of the benefits with no drawbacks. The gun will be a little heavier, reducing perceived recoil and they can learn with standard low pressure 38 special rounds. As they become more proficient and confident, they can move up to 38+P ammo and then on to .357 Magnum without having to buy a new gun.

If I had it to do over again, my snub 38s would have been 357s for the same reasons. Live and learn...hindsight is 20/20.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If I had it to do over again, my snub 38s would have been 357s for the same reasons. Live and learn...hindsight is 20/20.
    That's why my latest purchase was the S&W M&P 340 instead of the 642, and I'm loving it!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links