Which Springfield XD Sub-Compact

This is a discussion on Which Springfield XD Sub-Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like SF XD models, expecially the Sub-compact but I am really torn between the 9mm vs 40sw in the sub compact model for ...

View Poll Results: Which SF XD Sub-Compact for CCW and Range?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • SF Sub-Compact XD9

62 63.92%
  • SF Sub-Compact XD40

35 36.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Springfield XD Sub-Compact

Which Springfield XD Sub-Compact

I really like SF XD models, expecially the Sub-compact but I am really torn between the 9mm vs 40sw in the sub compact model for CCW and range purposes. I'm hoping this poll will lean one way or the other, because I can't seem to make my mind up. I would especially like to hear form those who have actually done some type of comparison, that is shot similar sized pistols in both calibers and can offer some real experience as opposed who just vote because it's what they have.

The differences are The XD9SC offers lower recoil, faster followup shots , whereas the 40s&w offers 9 more power for defensive purposes. For purposes of this vote. I am basically trying to decide on which caliber in the XDSC to go with and my confusion is only centered on Accuracy vs Recoil. I don't care about the others factors like cost of ammo, number of rounds etc because they both have enough for me.

Strictly, which is the better CCW, in this platform 9mm vs 40sw

2. Remove Ads

They are equally accurate, as accurate as possible out of a three inch barrel. Obviously a .40 s&w will recoil more than a 9mm weapon in the same size gun. If you can't handle the recoil effectively in a .40, go with a 9mm. If you can handle it, I believe .40 to be somewhat more effective. Faster follow up shots? Unless you plan on shooting competition, the BG isn't going to notice or care about 1/10th of a second. The difference in recoil between a .40 and and a 9mm isn't quite like a .38spcl and .44 remington magnum.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You'll be happy either way, but I can put follow-up shots on target a lot faster with the 9 than the .40.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

9 will get the job done, but there's a slight chance that .40 will get it done a bit better. I guess if you're talking about your life why not give a potential small advantage. Of course, there's also the 9 rounds vs. 13 rounds arguement, but how many professionals carry a 7 round .45? Plus, I'll be running away way before 9 rounds, I would think.
    And there's always that chance, though, that I've said nothing meaningful and hopefully we'll never find out. The only thing for sure is that the Springfield XD Subcompacts are OUTSTANDING.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Of course I realize this has nothing to do with anything but have you thought about the XDm 9mm in 3.8"? Also, I have heard that there will eventually be an XDm 45 coming out but they're trying to make it good and solid before they release it. Again, nothing to do with anything.

As far as recoil goes, it took me some getting used to with my XD40SC using 180GR ammo. But I do like it now and my ability to get back on target has improved significantly. I haven't had much trouble getting 40S&W ammo anytime I've needed it either, even through the shortages last year. Don't tell anybody that though. :)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I prefer the 9mm over the 40 S&W due to: Cost, magazine capacity, and availability of ammo.

But with the 40S&W you can get a 9mm and 357SIG conversion barrel if you want.

id go for the 9. God forbid you get into a fire fight, but, having more rounds comforts me. and there are alot of good defensive rounds in 9mm. a friend of mine has the forty, same gun less bullets, plus i get really good double taps with the 9mmers controllability. plus my wife hits the 10 ring with it well. rent some 9mms and 40s to see which you shoot better(control wise)

ntg
    I own a sc9 for all the obvious/above stated reasons and it's less expensive to practice, and practice is very important...probably more important than your choice of handgun IMO.

"9 rounds vs. 13"
    I'm confused.

my 40 holds 10 rounds in the short mag.
    it holds 12 with the std mag.
    that makes for 10+1 short mag and 12+1 std.

and if you can not hit the fist sized target in 9 rounds, then 4 more will not help much. pratice more, your life may depend on it.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    people who say the 40 is to "snappy" are just to comfortable with their Euro-pellet 9mm (not trying to hurt anyone's feelings) here is what another member posted...
    Metro~ "I'll take .40 any day of the week, over both 9 and .45 ACP. I notice that all of the stopping power complaints have seemed to dry up after police went to the .40, with excellent results. There is now 9mm that's ALMOST as good as your run-of-the-mill tactical .40 round, but there are a lot more marginal loads in 9mm than there are in .40 S&W. I personally have no use for any other semiauto caliber except .40, and all of my semiautos are so chambered. It'll do anything the .45 will do, in a more compact, lighter, and higher capacity pistol. There's no point in relying in a caliber (9mm) that was marginal for years, and only recently became acceptable with modern ammo.

People who say the .40 is too "snappy" need to have their man card revoked. There are 5', 120 lb females in my agency that shoot circles around a lot of the guys with their Glock 27s. I have to laugh every time I hear whining about "a 9 center mass is better than a miss with a 40/45." Ammo is cheap. My life is expensive. I'll spend the money to practice with a street-proven caliber with an excellent record, and leave the Euro-pellets (9mm) to the cheapskates who think quantity is better than quality.

Our department, and a sister agency had more than a couple of failures to stop with 9mm, with good shot placement. Light pistol bullets just don't cut it, if you ask me. We switched to .40, and have not had a problem since. Hard to argue against a bigger, heavier bullet at the same velocity, with a bigger HP cavity and more energy."
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Either gun will work fine, choose whatever you're more comfortable with... If they made the .45 that size it would be a bit hit.... I'll take a .45 anytime, over the 40 or 9...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Bigger bullet=bigger hole. Get the .40
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Regardless of which caliber you pick, it's what you hit and not necessarily the size of the hole that will end a gunfight. Going with a 9mm or greater primarily gives you penetration.

The benefit I see to the .40 is its ability to defeat barriers. In a real gunfight, I would expect to miss and/or have rounds with insufficient effect so more ammo is better. Being able to fire more rounds, more rapidly is why I would go with the 9.

The compact 9 mag gives you 13 rounds with the full size giving you 16. The compact .40 mag gives you 9 rounds where as the full gives you 12.

Read the following thread for more info:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1165386

I love my subcompact .40.. The .40 does have some balls in this relatively small gun but after you shoot it for a little while it's very manageable..
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    people who say the 40 is to "snappy" are just to comfortable with their Euro-pellet 9mm (not trying to hurt anyone's feelings) here is what another member posted...
    Metro~ "I'll take .40 any day of the week, over both 9 and .45 ACP. I notice that all of the stopping power complaints have seemed to dry up after police went to the .40, with excellent results. There is now 9mm that's ALMOST as good as your run-of-the-mill tactical .40 round, but there are a lot more marginal loads in 9mm than there are in .40 S&W. I personally have no use for any other semiauto caliber except .40, and all of my semiautos are so chambered. It'll do anything the .45 will do, in a more compact, lighter, and higher capacity pistol. There's no point in relying in a caliber (9mm) that was marginal for years, and only recently became acceptable with modern ammo.

People who say the .40 is too "snappy" need to have their man card revoked. There are 5', 120 lb females in my agency that shoot circles around a lot of the guys with their Glock 27s. I have to laugh every time I hear whining about "a 9 center mass is better than a miss with a 40/45." Ammo is cheap. My life is expensive. I'll spend the money to practice with a street-proven caliber with an excellent record, and leave the Euro-pellets (9mm) to the cheapskates who think quantity is better than quality.

Our department, and a sister agency had more than a couple of failures to stop with 9mm, with good shot placement. Light pistol bullets just don't cut it, if you ask me. We switched to .40, and have not had a problem since. Hard to argue against a bigger, heavier bullet at the same velocity, with a bigger HP cavity and more energy."

Good info man, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links