Glock 36 vs. Glock 30

This is a discussion on Glock 36 vs. Glock 30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had both. Now I own just the G30 (+10 other Glocks). The G36 has had some issues in the past - I had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 36 vs. Glock 30

I have had both. Now I own just the G30 (+10 other Glocks). The G36 has had some issues in the past - I had one. They appear to be working OK now. The G36 did not feel right in my hand. The G30 was built for me.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

i got both of them. i like both, but you need to play with them to see which one fits you.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    G30
    Pro:
    Capacity (10+1)
    Can use G21 mag on reload
    Inter-changeable parts with G21

Con:
    Thick grip
    Somewhat heavy

G36
    Pro:
    Very thin (thinner that a 1911)
    Light weight

Con:
    Capacity (6+1)
    No inter-changeability on parts or mags

Both are "soft" shooting guns, although, some have more problems with "limp-wristing" on the G36. Both are accurate - for subcompacts. I still prefer a larger frame for EDC, but for deep concealment, you can't beat the G36.

It all depends on YOU. What is most important to YOU, size, capacity, concealability.......
    You won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck.
    Well I always go with good advice like shoot both of them first then make your choice... but that aside... I look at it like this.

Statistics show that when faced with trouble it usually is 2 or more thugs... Because they like to hunt in numbers . I say that 6+1 may not be enough gun in some confrontations in other it might. But I would go with the high cap mag's if I were You...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

If I was going to use this gun as a home defense weapon or conceal with a shoulder holster, I'd go with the 30. But if it's a case of IWB or belly band, I'd use the 36 no doubt.

If I were to buy one today, I'd go with the 36.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own both, and they are great firearms. They have been 100% reliable and very accurate. Which do I carry.....the G36. Someone mentioned that the G30 felt right in their hand and not the G36. For me, the G36 feels light and right.

No matter how I dress, over sized shirt and all + I own two good holsters, the G30 is just not right for me to carry. It makes me look like I grew a tumor!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

The first time I picked up a 36 I thought it was "too" thin for me. I don't own one, but I very wall may in the future.

My G30 is a great gun and I really like it, but it's disadvantages against the 36 are just as you said, width (which is quite a bit in the hand) and weight. Everything is a compromise. You can't go wrong, just pick the one you like.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    when i first handled the 36 and 30 i thought the 36 fit me better....the 30sf took care of that...that little bit of difference made for all the comfort in the world for me...and the 30 is one of the best shooters ive ever held...

I bought my first Glock a 30 mid-90's. Hated it, always pinched my pinky and my trigger finger, so I got rid of it. When they came out with the G30SF, and I fell in love with how it felt in my hand. I added the Pearce Plus 0 mag ext. and it is absolutely perfect for my small hands. Best shooting 45ACP out of the box that I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few, mostly some type of 1911 (including several Colts and Paras, etc.) of 37 yrs now. I did hold a G36 several times, but it never felt right to me. I now have 3 of the G30SF's and I carry 2 of them in an ambi model Smart Carry along with 2 spare G21 (13 round mags.) The G30SF is very soft shooting and accurate with every type of ammo that I've put through them. Between them I've shot approx. 2700 rounds including about 1500 or so of the Fed HST 230gr Plus P's. That's my carry round and I love them.
    As others have suggested if you can shoot both of them to see how they fit and handle for you, before you make your buying decision.
    Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I searched for this topic but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I'm repeating this.

I want to know why I should buy the G36 if the G30 seems relatively similar, but holds 4 more rounds.

So, let's look at the dimensions, per the Glock website:

Glock 30

WIDTH
    32.5 mm / 1.27 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
    172 mm / 6.77 in.
    HEIGHT
    121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
    680 g / 23.99 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    960 g / 33.86 oz.

Glock 36

WIDTH
    28.5 mm / 1.13 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
    172 mm / 6.77 in.
    HEIGHT
    121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
    570 g / 20.11 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    765 g / 26.99 oz.

----------------------------

So, from what I can tell, the two major differences are the width and the weight.

G30 = 1.27 in. wide, G36 = 1.13 in. wide
    G30 (loaded) = 33.86 oz, G36 (loaded) = 26.99 oz

My question is: do these dimensions make all the difference? Anyone tried both and had any strong opinions?

I'm leaning toward the higher round capacity, but if you know something I don't, let me know
    I own both and my hands fit the 30 sf real snug, almost perfect. It shoots like a cadillac drives so smooooth. deadly accurate. recoil is almost nothing! love the round capacity although i can only put 9 in the mag with the slide closed otherwise i cant put the mag in with 10, dont know why. only problem i had was the ejector was bent way to far (brand new) and the casings were hitting me in the face sometimes, one actually got caught in between my glasses and my eyelid and burned like a MFR. but it was a cheap quick fix at the gunsmith. a sick piece and fine engineering. just carries a kinda heavy, compared to other concealed carries but good for a .45.

the 36 grip is slightly "longer" from the backstrap to the finger grooves (w/o quoting actual dimensions), only cuz its a single stack, so it fits a not as comfortably in my hand. got a couple of pinky pinches with the factory mags but im ordering the plus 0 extend grip, just as accurate, has a little more kick than the 30sf but manageable. light weight is a plus and carries much better than the 30. just as accurate. six rounds kinda sux but it pretty much like carryin a revolver. so i dont mind for concealed carry (extra mags help) cuz if you cant handle your business with 6 shots you have no business owning a gun.

heard you can put the 36 slide (thinner) on the 30 sf, kinda like a franken-glock, guess it would make it a bit lighter but i havent done it yet cuz the 30 sf shoots great as is, may try it in the near future.

either one is a great buy but go with what is most comfortable to you. i been debating on getting a 27 (40 cal) because it seems all the compensations for ccw are met with (smaller)caliber, size, weight, and rnd capacity so well see. for now all hail .45!!!!
    Last edited by ruckus; January 27th, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added a couple more thoughts

I don't have a G30. But I do have a G36 and a G22. I don't have anymore trouble concealing the G22 than the G36. If either one print on me it is the rear of the slide, not the grip.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I just shot both the G30 sf and the G36 and as little as the difference in width seems to the eye the G36 feels much slimmer and lighter. I shot both of them equally accuracy but i have to say i still prefer the G30. The wider width made it feel more comfortable to shoot and i feel much better with 10+1 than i do with 6+1. Im 6 foot 230lbs so the extra carrying weight and width is not a big deal to me but if i was smaller or skinnier i could see myself going with the G36. I would definately suggest shooting both before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    One comment: the difference between the two feels to me like the difference between holding a 2x2 piece of lumber and a 1x2. To me, the 1x2 just feels better.
    To me the G30 felt like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat. The G36 felt great. I bought it back in December. I really like the G36 and carry it IWB whenever uber discretion isn't needed.

I shot 106 rounds the first time I took it to the range; could have shot 200 more ifn I had had them. Nice, easy shooting gun. A previous owner had put night sites on the gun and I think they're a little off. Other than that, it's really accurate and consistent.

I carry 6+1 in the gun and 7 in my pocket (with a Pearce +1 extension). I don't feel undergunned. After all, when uber discretion is required I carry an LCP.....
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Like others have said, the G36 is definitely much thinner and less mass to wrap pants/belt around (IWB), but my experience is that slide length makes the whole difference in concealment (assuming close height measurements between 2 guns). Now this coming from a Glock 30sf Hybrid guy (yes, it works wonderfully!). So, with this combo (G30sf frame with G36 slide), I only feel that my gun is a little snugger, but no need for me to wear bigger clothes or buy bigger pants/belt. When carrying a G26/27, its better concealment only because of the slide length, since the gun stays secure when sitting down, not creating a bulge. As far as pros go, G30sf is on top for me.

I looked at both the Glock 36 and 30SF before I decided to purchase the the 30SF. I already own a Kahr PM45 (5+1) I opted for the higher capacity (10+1) Glock 30SF.
    Randy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ditto on the "pick up and try the grip" with both. I have the G30 and don't have a problem with the grip (medium-size hands), but many do. Double-stacks are not for everyone, regardless of make.

In reality, either will probably have enough ammo for 99.99% of situations encountered. The G30 is slightly heavier itself plus the weight of the added ammo. So....
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links