Glock 36 vs. Glock 30

Glock 36 vs. Glock 30

This is a discussion on Glock 36 vs. Glock 30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched for this topic but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I'm repeating this. I want to know why I should buy the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Glock 36 vs. Glock 30

I searched for this topic but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I'm repeating this.

I want to know why I should buy the G36 if the G30 seems relatively similar, but holds 4 more rounds.

So, let's look at the dimensions, per the Glock website:

Glock 30

WIDTH
    32.5 mm / 1.27 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
    172 mm / 6.77 in.
    HEIGHT
    121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
    680 g / 23.99 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    960 g / 33.86 oz.

Glock 36

WIDTH
    28.5 mm / 1.13 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
    172 mm / 6.77 in.
    HEIGHT
    121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
    570 g / 20.11 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    765 g / 26.99 oz.

----------------------------

So, from what I can tell, the two major differences are the width and the weight.

G30 = 1.27 in. wide, G36 = 1.13 in. wide
    G30 (loaded) = 33.86 oz, G36 (loaded) = 26.99 oz

My question is: do these dimensions make all the difference? Anyone tried both and had any strong opinions?

I'm leaning toward the higher round capacity, but if you know something I don't, let me know
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

VIP Member
    The 36 is single stack which allows for a thinner grip. Many people who don't like the blocky Glock grips, like the 36 because of the slim grip... So if the 30 feels comfortable in your hand and you don't mind the 7oz. weight difference go with the 30... For many people, the 7 oz. weight difference would be a big deal...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I would suggest holding and/or shooting both to see which one fits you better. When looking at the numbers it may not seem like much of a difference but when you actually hold them and try to conceal them the difference is quite noticeable. Trust me I own both the Glock 29 (10mm version of the 30) and the Glock 36.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    G30
    Pro:
    Capacity (10+1)
    Can use G21 mag on reload
    Inter-changeable parts with G21

Con:
    Thick grip
    Somewhat heavy

G36
    Pro:
    Very thin (thinner that a 1911)
    Light weight

Con:
    Capacity (6+1)
    No inter-changeability on parts or mags

Both are "soft" shooting guns, although, some have more problems with "limp-wristing" on the G36. Both are accurate - for subcompacts. I still prefer a larger frame for EDC, but for deep concealment, you can't beat the G36.

It all depends on YOU. What is most important to YOU, size, capacity, concealability.......
    You won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The G-36 is my EDC. I disliked the grip of the 30, and all the other Glocks until I grasped the Glock-36. That got me started on Glocks, now the grip on the others doesn't seem so 'bricky'...

I also think that the lighter, thinner Glock-36 is a bit easier to carry and conceal.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I would suggest holding and/or shooting both to see which one fits you better. When looking at the numbers it may not seem like much of a difference but when you actually hold them and try to conceal them the difference is quite noticeable. Trust me I own both the Glock 29 (10mm version of the 30) and the Glock 36.
    This pretty well sums it up.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Another vote for "try before buy"......if you can....
    A handgun that fits your personal "grip" comfortably will more likely see more use - practice and carry. After shooting both, make your decision...then start saving your $$ for the "other" one.....Yeah, you WILL!!
    Enjoy!!! We all do!!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    we can make advice all day long..it may or may not help you when it comes down to it....find out what you are most comfortable with...

loaded weight is just that...loaded weight...the extra capacity is part of that....if it feels too heavy you can still carry less in it...but that migght defeat the purpose...

i carry a g30 and thought the width was gonna be a problem...when i am using a good belt it hides very well and my wife doesnt even know i am carrying iwb...i carry sometimes with light web belt and it doesnt tuck in quite as well but isnt too hard to conceal...

shoot em both...youre gonna love em at the range....

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The 36 is single stack which allows for a thinner grip. Many people who don't like the blocky Glock grips, like the 36 because of the slim grip...
    I would be one of those people in that camp, can't stand the feel of any glock other then the G36.

Actually just bought one last week (yep...crossed to the dark side), and will be getting it out to the range this week to put it thru it's paces. If I'm happy with it, I'll order a holster for it, if not, I'll sell it and either break even, or worse case, be out the sales tax.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I went through this exact senario about 6 months back and got lots of help from the guys here but here is what it came down to for me. The size is the same except for a little bit of slimness. I have other Glocks and the 30 fit my hand more consistently plus there are other 6 round 45's I like better (1911's that I would prefer). So FOR ME, there were not other 10 round 45's with extended mags (G21) if I prefer with a better reliability record thatwas only a hair thicker than the 36.....and I am happy with my choice as the 30 has run flawlessly.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    G30 = 1.27 in. wide, G36 = 1.13 in. wide
    Just FYI, that measurement is incorrect. It's 1.18" for all but the Slim line Glocks.

The 1.27" is the measurement for the barrel height.

Ignore this above post as it's incorrect....... Carry on.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; January 19th, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Cause I'm trying to use my memory, and it's about useless these days. :p
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Just FYI, that measurement is incorrect. It's 1.18" for all but the Slim line Glocks.

The 1.27" is the measurement for the barrel height.
    No. His measurements WERE correct. The G36 barrel is slightly thinner than the 9, 40, 357 Glocks. And the G30 barrel is slightly thicker.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    No. His measurements WERE correct. The G36 barrel is slightly thinner than the 9, 40, 357 Glocks. And the G30 barrel is slightly thicker.
    my bad! the width is correct. OOps!

My apologies to the OP....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

One comment: the difference between the two feels to me like the difference between holding a 2x2 piece of lumber and a 1x2. To me, the 1x2 just feels better.

Some good points here - thanks for the suggestions and opinions!
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links