Concealability

This is a discussion on Concealability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With summer coming up I'm running into problems concealing my 5" 1911. I am 6' 2" with a 32" waist. The problem is that my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealability

Concealability

With summer coming up I'm running into problems concealing my 5" 1911. I am 6' 2" with a 32" waist. The problem is that my shoulders aren't much broader, so carrying IWB does not work well. I used to own a Walther PPK/s and I'm thinking about getting another with a shoulder holster thinking this will conceal better since it is very thin and near the armpit. What do you think?

P.S. Going from 8 rounds of 45 ACP to 7 rounds of .380 does not bother me. I am an avid shooter and reloader, so I fully understand the ballistic limitations of .380 ACP.

2. Remove Ads

Have you tried IWB but in a cross draw postion. That being said I carried a walther pp in 32 cal for a long time, pretty easy carry. Mine was french made and had no issues.
    The only issue I would think about is the "James Bond" complex that a stupid prosecutor may raise if you ever had to use it from a shoulder holster.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

If you're good with the .380 ACP and comfortable with the ballistics, why not pocket carry one? My LCP rides in my front pocket and is very comfortable. For a couple hundred dollars more the Kahr PM9 or even the Kahr .380 could be a good option as well. Just a thought.

Good luck. GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    If you're good with the .380 ACP and comfortable with the ballistics, why not pocket carry one? My LCP rides in my front pocket and is very comfortable. For a couple hundred dollars more the Kahr PM9 or even the Kahr .380 could be a good option as well. Just a thought.

Good luck. GBK
    I have considered the LCP. The thing I like about the PPK is that the 3.35" barrel manages better velocity than the sub 3" guns while still under 1" thick.

I would think that if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot no matter where I drew the pistol from.

I love my LCP. I forget I am carrying it. When I carry something bigger, I'm always a little self conscious.

The PPK is a classic! I want one.
    I say go for it.
    If you do carry in a shoulder holster, let us know how it goes. I find the idea appealing, but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    I have considered the LCP. The thing I like about the PPK is that the 3.35" barrel manages better velocity than the sub 3" guns while still under 1" thick.

I would think that if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot no matter where I drew the pistol from.
    Yeah, I agree with ya. I used to carry a PPK as my EDC years ago. I would like to see a quality ammo supplier produce a good +p round for the .380 and that would solve a ton of concerns that folks have regarding the .380 IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Buffalo Bore makes a good .380 + P. It puts out a 100 grain hardcast bullet at 1150fps out of a PPK. That's a midrange 9mm load. It seems America just wants everything big.

I have a Sig P238 and love it. Pocket 1911, can't beat it. I hate the LCP/P3at because of the trigger and recoil. The Sig has neither of those problems.

I carry a full size 1911 in a IWB Supertuck and also have a PPK/S with a Supertuck. The PPK/s does fit well in the pocket and love all types of ammo. The Ruger LCP is a great light weight gun but it is fussy about type of ammo and feel it is harder to shoot with the small grip and light weight. Try the Crossbreed Supertuck it has a 2 week try out period if you don't like just send it back. I don't notice the 1911 in the Crossbreed holster. The one problem with the Crossbreed is it needs a belt and I wear a Tux when I DJ. Thats were the Walther comes in.

+1 on the supertuck, I've got one for carrying my commander and it does a great job of concealing and very comfortable. Plus I'm about the same size as you, just a bit taller and broad shoulders.

Did you ever think about the Smart Carry holster?? You could probably carry your 1911 in it?

I've got to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    With summer coming up .
    Where do you live? It's January on the planet I am living on and Summer seems a long way off.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I've owned 2 PPK/s and 1 PPK pistols of the S&W varities. From a CCW reliability standpoint, they are non starters. Simply not to be trusted was my experience. I agree they look nice, feel good in the hand, appear solid, but the quality just is not there. Take a look at the Sig P232 for a more reliable option.

DMM
    Masking a full size 45 is no easy job no matter what your build. I carry a 4" or 3" 1911 depending on the season and the outfit. Winter is great since you can hide a cannon underneath a sweater. Warm weather is a bit more challenging, so I put the 3" in an IWB under a stiff shirt, in a denim vest or in a front pocket holster with a slab of stiff leather attached to the outside that makes it look like a wallet. People rarely know I carry since I make an effort not to "imprint" to the outside and stiff, loose and bulky clothing help do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links