SIG SAS and DAK?

This is a discussion on SIG SAS and DAK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I'm new to guns and this is partly I'm asking. I know the difference between a double action only (DOA like my Glock) and ...

Thread: SIG SAS and DAK?

SIG SAS and DAK?

Hello. I'm new to guns and this is partly I'm asking. I know the difference between a double action only (DOA like my Glock) and single action only (SAO like a 1911), but what's this I see on the SIG website for SAS and DAK? I know they have single action versions because I've seen them, but I'd like some elaboration if that's alright. I've been looking at the p239.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

2. Remove Ads

Without a huge elaboration (try a search), DAK is Sig's version of a DAO trigger. SAS means Sig Anti Snag. It basically is Sig's treatment of the gun to round off all the sharp lines an edges to make for a better concealed carry gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The SAS stands for Sig Anti-Snag. They do the "melt job" on the slide, and dehorn other things like the sights and hammer. It is a Double Action/Single Action pistol, so it's going to fire DA if the hammer is down, and SA if it's cocked.

The DAK is Double Action Kellerman. It's a double action only with a few features. It has a light pull weight when a round is chambered because it's at quarter cock kind of. When you pull the trigger, one of three things can happen...if you have a light strike on the primer the hammer will drop and stay there, because the slide didn't move back to quarter cock it. You will have a slightly heavier trigger pull for a second strike. If the round fires, which it should, you can let the trigger out halfway, it will reset and you get another slightly heavier pull, with a shorter stroke. You can also let it out all the way, and it will reset to the normal trigger pull. Sounds a little complex, but it's really simple, very smooth, and I love it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Alright. I really hated to start a thread on it, but I was trying via Google and couldn't find out what it meant. Since SIG has single action guns, I thought SAS was their version of single action.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Distinguished Member
    There was some discussion about the Sig with a DAK trigger so I did a search and came up with this.........thought I would share.

VIP Member
    I have a P239 SAS with DAK... The answers above are correct. Also, if we're being really technical, Glock's aren't DAO, they are striker fired and operate in a similar manner to DAOs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm Lassiter View Post
    Alright. I really hated to start a thread on it, but I was trying via Google and couldn't find out what it meant. Since SIG has single action guns, I thought SAS was their version of single action.
    SIG does use the designation SAO for their "single action only" guns, that's where the confusion may have come in. I have a SIG 220 SAO, and it's the smoothest trigger I have!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Here is what one of them varmits looks like.....I like the trigger...smooth as butter and light.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SAS is indeed an acronym for SIG Anti Snag. They were apparetnly going to use a different acronym, for Anti-Snag-Pistol, but only a very few shipped with that designator, probably to avoid trademark issues.

DAK is a form of DAO, but there is a choice of two reset positions, as already explained. There are true simple DAO SIGs on the market, primarily pre-owned at this point in time.

GLocks are most certainly NOT a DAO design! (Not DOA either, as that term is not applicable to pistols.) If the shooter "catches the link" when shooting a Glock, it is much more like a DA/SA than a DAO. The initial trigger pull of a Glock, and the subsequent trigger pulls if one does not catch the link, is dealing with a partially cocked striker.

I do like my P229 SAS pistols, with their DAK triggers. The now-so-called "first generation" of SAS pistols have the DAK trigger system; the Second Generation SAS pistols are available with the traditional DA/SA trigger systems. Pay attention to the Generation if ordering/buying an SAS pistol.

hi all.
    I'm pretty new here and this is my first post. I am looking at a sig 229 Equinox which i am lusting over when I go to the Gun shop. but....
    I would like to have the DAK trigger and I am wondering if I can have the pistol returned to the Factory ( it is a new Sig refurbished pistol) and have the DAK installed and what it might cost to do so. i have looked through Sig's costom shop and services and cannot find a price for this work
    Anyone here able to give me a general idea of possibility and approx cost ?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joebiplane View Post
    hi all.
    I'm pretty new here and this is my first post. I am looking at a sig 229 Equinox which i am lusting over when I go to the Gun shop. but....
    I would like to have the DAK trigger and I am wondering if I can have the pistol returned to the Factory ( it is a new Sig refurbished pistol) and have the DAK installed and what it might cost to do so. i have looked through Sig's costom shop and services and cannot find a price for this work
    Anyone here able to give me a general idea of possibility and approx cost ?
    It can be done, I don't know the cost though. It wont be cheap. You would be much better served to just purchase what you want from the start.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 239 in the SAS variation is one of the best looking guns IMHO...I just wish it were a bit slimmer because it doesnt really give you that much better of a CCW profile than double stack guns and there are far slimmer ones to chose from (PPS, PM's, etc.)...but it really is a looker!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    The 239 in the SAS variation is one of the best looking guns IMHO...I just wish it were a bit slimmer because it doesnt really give you that much better of a CCW profile than double stack guns and there are far slimmer ones to chose from (PPS, PM's, etc.)...but it really is a looker!
    Sorry to disagree with you Harley but I chose the NON SAS Sig 239 for the simple reason that I just didn't like the looks of the rounded out Sig. It just proves each to their own tastes. I think we can both agree though the the Sig 239 is an excellent choice of handgun no matter which version you get. .
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm Lassiter View Post
    Hello. I'm new to guns and this is partly I'm asking. I know the difference between a double action only (DOA like my Glock)
    I had a DA/SA SIG P239, but sent it to have the DAK setup done, and I LOVE it. It's a long pull like any DAO, but light and smooth as can be.
    I'm not a fan of two different trigger pulls or having to mess around with decockers on my carry guns.

It's not really like the Glock at all, since the Glock is a striker-fired mechanism with a very short trigger pull. The DAK is a hammer-fired mechanism; each time you pull the trigger, the hammer rises and falls.

The only other gun that has a similar trigger feel as the DAK, but is striker-fired like a Glock, is the Kahr.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Sig

I love the look of the SAS/DAK 239. One of the best looking pistols I have seen. I didn't want to wait on one so I bought the standard DA/SA 239 with nite sites. I just love it. It shoots great and fits my hand perfectly.

Links