My New (to me) Smith & Wesson 5943

This is a discussion on My New (to me) Smith & Wesson 5943 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked it up for my birthday. Put 150 rounds though it so far. The night sights say 1992, they're very dim it needs new ones. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My New (to me) Smith & Wesson 5943

Picked it up for my birthday. Put 150 rounds though it so far.

The night sights say 1992, they're very dim it needs new ones. It was a Cleveland Police Gun.

I absolutely love it. I wanted the 5903 thats DA/SA but they didn't have it anymore so I got the 5943. The DAO trigger isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be I really like it. Shot good groups. Recoil is low.

There is a little bit of Holster wear near the top of the slide but over all the finish is still pretty good. The insides are even cleaner. That's the great thing about police guns. Most of them are only fired once a year!

I do have a question though. The gun is a DAO. It does not seem to have "Second Strike". I must pull the slide back .25" to cock the hammer. When I was playing with it at the Gun Shop i just figured it was how it was supposed to work and didn't ask about it.

Someone told me though that it is supposed to have "Second Strike" and the trigger should be able to move the hammer all the time. So I'm hoping someone here has one and can let me know.

Here's some pics. Her name is Sidney.

Here's the hammer at Rest

Here's the hammer "cocked"

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice! There're a lot of old models out there i'd like to have, even if they're not the latest and greatest.
    Looks like a keeper to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Nothing like a good 3rd generation S&W. My police trade in 6946 has over 10K+ trouble free rounds down the pipe. It was my first carry gun and one I will never sell.

No second strike for S&W semi's so normal.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Those 3rd gen Smiths especially in 9mm are built like tanks. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Those 3rd gen Smiths especially in 9mm are built like tanks. Congrats.
    this is true... I have shot a two different model 59's and they both feel like you couldn't break them if you wanted to.
    glockcoma likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Cpongrats on a nice find...great pistola!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Great looking 3rd gen Smith...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i have the exact same gun, with the Cleveland Ohio pd stamped on it. The gun was my uncle's old issued gun. now they have the glock 19. the smith is an awesome gun.

I got a 6906 that IMHO was a former cop gun,It shoots pretty good DA/SA,has a mag safety that I hate,I'm gonna take it to the range and blast away this weekend with it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sweet. It has a lot more character than a tupperware frame gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I carried a 5906 for several years on duty and had no problems what so ever with it. Nice solid handgun. Enjoy !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

On a semi related topic have you all noticed the numerous resurrections of zombie threads that have been dead for a year or more? LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post

The night sights say 1992, they're very dim it needs new ones. It was a Cleveland Police Gun.

I absolutely love it. I wanted the 5903 thats DA/SA but they didn't have it anymore so I got the 5943. The DAO trigger isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be I really like it. Shot good groups. Recoil is low.

There is a little bit of Holster wear near the top of the slide but over all the finish is still pretty good. The insides are even cleaner. That's the great thing about police guns. Most of them are only fired once a year!

I do have a question though. The gun is a DAO. It does not seem to have "Second Strike". I must pull the slide back .25" to cock the hammer. When I was playing with it at the Gun Shop i just figured it was how it was supposed to work and didn't ask about it.

Someone told me though that it is supposed to have "Second Strike" and the trigger should be able to move the hammer all the time. So I'm hoping someone here has one and can let me know.

Nice! How's the recoil?

Sharp lookin' S&W. Usually PO firearms are only fired twice a year. But they are carried frequently. So they are exposed to a lot of body sweat and have a fair amount of holster wear. Being a firearms instructor, I see how most cops treat their guns. When I inspect them after a range session, I often give the same speeches to the same officers.

But clean her up nice and enjoy!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Can't find accessories for this gun

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post

I have the same exact gun I inherited from my dad who was a Cleveland police officer in the 2nd district. Shoots great, but the trigger travel is quite long and i think it is a 8 or 9# trigger. Also, other than the duty holster i have for it I cant find a different holster for it anywhere. I would love to get a serpa holster but cant one one thats compatible. Or an IWB holster would be great but cant find any that are compatible. Anyone have suggestions or a source where I can find a compatible holster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links