P229r or G19?

This is a discussion on P229r or G19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm expecting to receive my pistol permit in the next 4 weeks and was wondering which gun I should go with for my first pistol ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P229r or G19?

P229r or G19?

I'm expecting to receive my pistol permit in the next 4 weeks and was wondering which gun I should go with for my first pistol and CCW piece. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Glock 19 or a Sig P229r (9mm). Any recommendations?

2. Remove Ads

Have you shot either? If not, try to find somewhere you can try them both. That will make the choice much easier.

VIP Member
    I would recommend the Sig P229 every time out of these two. But others opinions will vary.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Have you shot either? If not, try to find somewhere you can try them both. That will make the choice much easier.
    I've shot both but not enough to be able to make a decision over which I prefer the most. In NY it is illegal to touch a pistol without a pistol permit so my hands on time for handguns is limited to the time I spend out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich219 View Post
    I've shot both but not enough to be able to make a decision over which I prefer the most. In NY it is illegal to touch a pistol without a pistol permit so my hands on time for handguns is limited to the time I spend out of state.
    I feel for ya, I'd choose the Glock just because I know that the 19 is going to go bang every time I need it to. It's not pretty but you can count on it. I think either will serve you well, I just like the kiss principle.

VIP Member
    Does one fit your hand better, do you prefer one trigger over the other? Are you more accurate with one? Do you prefer one MOA? Does price matter? To me there is no contest, but that's me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Does one fit your hand better, do you prefer one trigger over the other? Are you more accurate with one? Do you prefer one MOA? Does price matter? To me there is no contest, but that's me.
    Exactly what I'm thinking.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich219 View Post
    If I were you I would spend more time "out of state" And see what works for you. On here you're going to get peoples personal preferences not always what's right for you.

By the way get the sig, I hate glocks.

I would go with the SIG. I love my P229.

Sig seems to take the vote, I think I'll order that first.

Does anyone know of any place that has the Sig P229r CPO guns in stock?

I have the Glock 19 and no regrets. You have to go with what fits your hand and your eye. To me, knowing the gun is always going to work sealed the deal.

I have a 23 (19 is same size)..and P228. Overall I feel the 23 is more concealable. As far as dependable you wont go wrong wih either. My nod would be to the Glock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd recommend the Sig, I love my P250. I've always disliked the grip angle of glocks, just never fit my hand right.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Glock for carry.

I've owned a Sig P229 in .40 for 8 years, and a Glock 19 for 12 years. They are both excellent guns, but different.

Since you mentioned your CCW permit, I gather that this will be a concealed carry gun for you. In that case, the Glock 19 is thinner and considerably lighter weight than the Sig, and is easier to carry concealed. Both guns seem equal to me in reliability and accuracy, so unless you have some problem with the Glock trigger system, that is the one I would recommend for carry. The Sig is excellent for range or home defense, however.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Perhaps cost isn't a factor, but it was for me. I really like my Glock 19, and it conceals pretty well though sometimes prints when it's IWB if I am working and bend over.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links