SHOT Show:22 gun industry people arrested by FBI in Las Vegas-including S&W executive

This is a discussion on SHOT Show:22 gun industry people arrested by FBI in Las Vegas-including S&W executive within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FBI arrests 21 in Las Vegas in foreign bribery case - Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2010 | 11:28 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun WASHINGTON, Jan 19 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHOT Show:22 gun industry people arrested by FBI in Las Vegas-including S&W executive

SHOT Show:22 gun industry people arrested by FBI in Las Vegas-including S&W executive

FBI arrests 21 in Las Vegas in foreign bribery case - Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2010 | 11:28 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

WASHINGTON, Jan 19 (Reuters) - U.S. authorities accused 22 people, including an executive for Smith & Wesson Holding Corp (SWHC.O), with violating federal bribery laws involving the sale of various arms, the U.S. Justice Department said on Tuesday.

The indictments charged the individuals, including Smith & Wesson Vice President for Sales Amaro Goncalves, with violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and conspiracy to commit money laundering involving the sale of items including guns and body armor.

Also charged was the chief executive of Protective Products of America Inc (PPA.TO), R. Patrick Caldwell, who previously worked for the U.S. Secret Service for 27 years and was the special agent in charge of the division for the vice president's protection.

That company filed for bankruptcy protection last week and sought approval to be acquired by an affiliate of the private investment firm Sun Capital Partners Inc.

The indictments, filed in December, were unsealed by a U.S. judge on Tuesday and follow undercover operations last year. The individuals were arrested on Monday in Las Vegas and Miami.

In the case involving Goncalves, an unidentified business associate who was a former executive for an arms manufacturer arranged a meeting between Goncalves and two undercover FBI agents who posed as representatives of an unnamed African country's minister of defense, the indictment stated.

The agents told Goncalves that in order to win a contract for the sale of guns he would have to add a 20 percent "commission" to price quotes, half of which would go to the purported minister of defense and the rest would be split between the others, according to the indictment.

Goncalves provided price quotes for two sales, a small one of 25 guns and a larger one with 1,800 pistols. He gave two price quotes for the transactions, including one that had its price inflated by 20 percent, the indictment said. (Reporting by Dan Margolies and Jeremy Pelofsky, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

The FBI arrested 21 people Monday in Las Vegas in what is being described as the largest single investigation and prosecution against individuals in the history of the Justice Department's enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

Those individuals and another person arrested in Miami are executives and employees of military and law enforcement products companies who were indicted for engaging in schemes to bribe foreign government officials to obtain and retain business, the Justice Department announced today.

In connection with the FBI's undercover operation, 16 indictments were unsealed today. The indictments were returned on Dec. 11 by a grand jury in Washington.

All 21 of the individuals arrested in Las Vegas had been attending the 2010 Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show and Conference, which runs from today through Friday at the Sands Expo & Convention Center. All were arrested off-site at an undisclosed location in the city, federal authorities said at a press conference held in Washington.

The investigation involved roughly 150 FBI agents who executed search warrants throughout the country. London police also assisted in the investigation.

Those who were indicted and the location of their companies included Daniel Alvirez and Lee Allen Tolleson, Bull Shoals, Ark., Helmie Ashiblie, Woodbridge, Va., Andrew Bigelow, Sarasota, Fla., R. Patrick Caldwell and Stephen Gerard Giordanella, Sunrise, Fla., Yochanan Cohen, San Francisco, Haim Geri, North Miami Beach, Fla., Amaro Goncalves, Springfield, Mass., John Gregory Godsey and Mark Frederick Morales, Decatur, Ga., Saul Mishkin, Aventura, Fla., John and Jeana Mushriqui, Upper Darby, Pa., David Painter and Lee Wares, United Kingdom, Pankesh Patel, United Kingdom, Ofer Paz, Israel, Israel Weisler and Michael Sachs, Stearns, Ky., and John Benson Wier III, St. Petersburg, Fla.

The maximum prison sentence for the conspiracy count and for each FCPA count is five years. The maximum sentence for the money laundering conspiracy charge is 20 years in prison.

2. Remove Ads

What a black eye for S&W and the industry in general.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

i wonder if that S&W sales exec was pressured by his superiors to make that sale...

I hope the feds crossed all the T's and dotted the I's for a water tight prosecution. This will not look good for S&W. From an expensive suit to an orange jump suit. All for the love of money. What an idiot!
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

WOW....unbelievable. I am relatively sure the Feds have this sealed up. The feds dont indict, unless they are 90% or more sure they can get a conviction. They are all about numbers.

Anybody want to buy some S&W stock?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    WOW....unbelievable. I am relatively sure the Feds have this sealed up. The feds dont indict, unless they are 90% or more sure they can get a conviction. They are all about numbers.

Anybody want to buy some S&W stock?

I won't buy their weapons, why would I want to buy their stock!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    What a black eye for S&W and the industry in general.

Hoss
    +1 doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    I hope the feds crossed all the T's and dotted the I's for a water tight prosecution. This will not look good for S&W. From an expensive suit to an orange jump suit. All for the love of money. What an idiot!
    Good to see that the feds are aggressively going after those who've created this financial crisis we're in and locking them up where they can't do any more damage....oh wait,...

I lived in Colombia and Venezuela for 6 years and anyone who has lived or dealt with business in the third world knows that NOTHING is done without a little grease in the wheels. Sadly it is how most international business is done, and to not grease the wheels means you don’t do business.

VIP Member
    not good at all

shaking my head in disgust

how dumb and greedy
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    What a laugh. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act keeps our companies from doing business the way it is done in many parts of the world. Meanwhile, our federal government overlords go around the world handing out billions of our dollars to bribe foreign entities to pretend they support the US policy of the day. I tell you, our government makes Alice in Wonderland look like a text on logic.
    Last edited by tiwee; January 20th, 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Would the transactions have been legal and it's just the "grease" that they were stung by? I've always wondered how so many American guns seem to get into the hands of the BG's, both inside and outside of this country. Always wondered but never had time to research it.
    Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a congressman can.
    Mark Twain

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member

+ 1 tiwee

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    What a laugh. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act keeps our companies from doing business the way it is done in many parts of the world.
    Yes. I remember when this law was first past after some sort of "scandal." Missed in the panic to "do something" was the fact that in most of the world you can not do business without a little grease.

Sounds like an easy sting; and maybe some entrapment. Of course, the guys should not have offered the bribe since the particular law is well known within companies which do business abroad.

Have to wonder how much export business we lose as result of attempting to apply our business ethics to foreign deal making.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Wether that is how things are done or not, it is against the law. So if you break the law, expect to pay the price. A corporate VP should have known better, unless he was pressured by his bosses.

Just stupid, and yes, a huge black eye for the gun community.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by VrodRay View Post
    I lived in Colombia and Venezuela for 6 years and anyone who has lived or dealt with business in the third world knows that NOTHING is done without a little grease in the wheels. Sadly it is how most international business is done, and to not grease the wheels means you donít do business.
    That may be true, but such bribes are illegal under US law, and those of many other countries, as well. I don't have a lot of sympathy when those who commit criminal offenses (and bribery is a criminal offense) are caught at it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links