Unreliable Gun in Bad Situation

This is a discussion on Unreliable Gun in Bad Situation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever had a situation where it was life and death and your gun (that you thought was reliable) didn't shoot or know of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unreliable Gun in Bad Situation

Unreliable Gun in Bad Situation

Have you ever had a situation where it was life and death and your gun (that you thought was reliable) didn't shoot or know of someone that (god forbid) is no longer with us because of this situation?

We hear all the time about people not trusting guns but how often does it happen (and yes once for me is way to many).

2. Remove Ads

No one should carry a gun that is in any way unreliable. Reliability is obtained from familiarity with the gun, practicing with the gun and from gaining confidence while using the gun. In addition, we must educated ourselves and be competent with the gun. If I had a gun that was suspect, then I would not carry it, and I probably would get rid of it. I hope I never have to draw and shoot to defend my life or that of my family, but if I did, then I would want a 100% confidence level in my pistol.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    The only failure I know of was a LEO friend, years back. His S&W was so jammed with clay mud after wrestling with a subject that the slide would not go into battery after his first shot. Luckily he gained distance, cleared it and was fine, never needing another shot.

Buy quality, keep up on maintenance. Sexy guns aren't always the most reliable either.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    The only failure I know of was a LEO friend, years back. His S&W was so jammed with clay mud after wrestling with a subject that the slide would not go into battery after his first shot.
    That wouldn't be the gun's fault. Any firearm can jam if enough mud is crammed into it. Even GI .45s, loose as they were, could only take so much mud and sand before they failed.

To me, unreliable is a firearm that has a reccuring FTF, FTE and any other stoppage on a range. Any firearm can have a stoppage due to bad ammo. But a recurring problem, with different types of ammo? Not good.

Even my Glock had a FTE followed by a FTF. Once. I cleared the empty casing and reloaded the unfired cartridge and continued with business as usual. Because the gun never had a problem before or since, the problem must have been a bad shell or bad wrist (mine).

So, yeah, the gun is reliable, me and the ammo? May, maybe not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    No one should carry a gun that is in any way unreliable.

Must have missed the part about a gun that "you thought was reliable"!

This is why I carry two.

One available to each hand because, IMHO, your more likely to not be able to use one hand when you need it. Examples: Moving your family away from a perp, blocking a strike, arm pinned or trying (if your a LEO) protect your gun against a grab attempt, drawing with your other hand is a better tactical advantage (the perp can't see what your doing) and last but not least Murphy is always around the corner.

To answer your question, No I do not know of anyone who did not have the gun go bang when needed.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Things (guns) break. They can be fine for a long time and then failure. I carry at least 2. I have had Glocks break - springs, rails, slides. Does that mean I don't trust GLOCKS - no just the opposite. They have a longer time between failures than other guns. I love 1911's and HP's but they need more attention. You need regular maintenance and spring replacement but stuff does happen. NO GUN is 100%.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I remember hearing about a shop owner that was killed because he forgot to disengage the safty on his weapon. I think this example would be more common. Know your controls. Without practice, there are a lot of things that. Can go wrong
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I remember hearing about a shop owner that was killed because he forgot to disengage the safty on his weapon. I think this example would be more common. Know your controls. Without practice, there are a lot of things that. Can go wrong
    I've seen a video of such, but it wasn't because he forgot to disengage the safety, it was because he didn't carry one in the pipe and when he tried to manually operate the slide under stress to chamber a round, it jammed on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I've seen a video of such, but it wasn't because he forgot to disengage the safety, it was because he didn't carry one in the pipe and when he tried to manually operate the slide under stress to chamber a round, it jammed on him.
    Contemplating both of these possible situations has led me to decide: I'll never carry unchambered or with the safety on (if it has a safety). You just don't know how well you're going to handle a situation that intense. I don't want anything in the way. In fact, the only gun I don't keep chambered at the house is the 12 gauge beside my night stand. I'd hope that the old "CLICK-CLACK" of the shotty would scare off any bandits.
    Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    No one should carry a gun that is in any way unreliable. Reliability is obtained from familiarity with the gun, practicing with the gun and from gaining confidence while using the gun. In addition, we must educated ourselves and be competent with the gun. If I had a gun that was suspect, then I would not carry it, and I probably would get rid of it. I hope I never have to draw and shoot to defend my life or that of my family, but if I did, then I would want a 100% confidence level in my pistol.
    Don't forget proper maintenance. You can practice till you're blue in the face but if your firearm has not been properly maintained it may very well fail to go boom when you least expect it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Agreed on the back up gun. Anything can happen and if you can cut down on the odds of it happening in a crucial situation all the better.
    bigJ

"Master the Basics."
    www.handgunhourly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Have you ever had a situation where it was life and death and your gun (that you thought was reliable) didn't shoot or know of someone that (god forbid) is no longer with us because of this situation?
    No. I have not had such a situation, myself. And I don't personally know a person who had an equipment failure at the wrong time. I've read about a few situations from time to time, as have many of us.

On the range, I (and others) have experienced failures to cycle, of course. But nothing that has occurred when it really mattered.

The mere fact that it occurs so rarely as to be difficult to think of any instances should give us some hope. Firearms must be getting quite reliable, and people must be vetting their defensive arms fairly well, if such instances are so rare as this. That's a good thing.

It's why my personal policy on vetting a new, untested firearm is fairly stiff, requiring hundreds of error-free rounds to occur before I will consider the gun to be "in service."

It's why I carry a backup firearm, at times.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 20th, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarification
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have been lucky but: For thirty or so years, I depended on a .25 caliber Galesi pistol, carrying it as a cab driver and after and before, counting on it here at the house, ready to grab it from on top of my end table by my chair and point it toward my front door. Last CCW class, last year: Jam, jam, jam, jam! Damn! One shot before it jammed! I gave it to the CCW instructor at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds to keep around and show to his classes as an object lesson, to people who kept showing up with old and favorite and family guns that had not been shot by them a lot. Last week: Brand-new FNP-9 pistol that I had loaded and hung up inside a holster that I hung at the ready on my bedroom-closet door, finally taking it to a target range. One shot and jam! Bam and jam! Bam and jam! Damn! Hi-Point: Bang! Bang! Bang! Dang! Yesterday, I and a friend shot my FN until it got better, testing it with three magazines and three boxes of different 9mm bullets. I knew and know better, no excuse not to, after reading and studying these magazines and gun forums online with "YOU TUBE" gun-video shows! Even this may save someone who has a new, old or favorite but untested gun. My friends, I still do not and will not trust that FN until it shoots jam free, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    There were actually two different incidents,the one where he was sitting in the store with several friends when 2 guys barge in shooting and you see him fumbling with his gun,and one in a convenience store where he sees a masked guy come through the doors and pulls his gun trying to shoot but the safetys on and the BG shoots him before he can figure out why his gun won't go bang,that's why some people prefer a gun that has no mechanical safety you have to disengage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links