Which Home Defense Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Which Home Defense Shotgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remington 870P....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Home Defense Shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Remington 870P.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I take a bit of a different path...

Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber

Mine is in 12ga...
    Luv it! Who want's to be on the wrong end of this?

Currently, I've got a Mossberg 590 (heat shield, speedfeed stock, bayonet lug, and I added a Tac-star 6 round sidesaddle.) I love that gun, it's dead reliable, but this is what I lust after:

Saiga 12 converted by Tromix
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I kind of partial to my Stoeger Coach gun in 12 gauge. Simple and quick. And I can dump the expended rounds and reload almost as quickly as racking the slide back on an 870.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Another way

If you think you may want to do some hunting or sporting clays, you should consider getting the Rem 870 with the 26 or 28 inch barrel and buying an 18 inch barrel for home defense. The barrel swaps quickly without tools. And if 5 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buck is not enough, then maybe you should look for a grenade launcher.

If you have never tried sporting clays ... its a blast in more ways than one. And its good practice. For example, you may learn that when you are in a hurry to chamber the next round you have a tendency to short stroke it. Not a good thing - means a missed bird in sporting clays - means real trouble in a HD situation.

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    I bought a Benelli Nova Tactical. If I had it to do again, it would be the Mossberg 500.

the reason is that I wanted to swap out to a pistol grip stock at some point. With the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, this is easy. not so much for the Benelli.

It's neat looking, and dead on reliable, but since I never got to have the pistol grip dealio pan out, I still feel like I went the wrong way...

But anyway, my Benelli shoots good.
    Similar to my experience. I sold a Mossy Mariner 18.5" to get the Nova Special Purpose. I added the extended mag to the Nova, but it still only holds 6+1. I don't recall what the Mossy held.

Recently, my son picked up a Rem870 Magnum with an 18.5" barrel and extended mag. It holds 7+1.

Both the Rem870 and Nova are the same length with a regular stock, but the Rem holds one more shell (2-3/4"). I think this is because the Nova will accommodate 3-1/2" shells where the Rem will hold up to 3" shells. This makes the receiver on the Nova 1/2" longer and shortens the mag tube by 1/2".

The Nova is a great shotgun, but if I had it to do over, I'd go with the 870. Many more accessories for it. I haven't found anything for my Nova beyond the mercury filled recoil reducer.

Like both Mossbergs and Remingtons. Currently my 870 Tactical is in my bedroom closet standing guard. I have put a 12" L.O.P. Hogue Overmolded(w/forend)on it and she's ready to go. Thinking about a small piece of rail for a SureFire,but that's it. Keep It Simple! Good Luck with your choice!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

My 870 Tactical 7+1, 18" barrel, pistol grips, and folding stock for transport work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xchief1 View Post
    Remington 870 tactical

^^I have exactly that^^ My wife loves it too. I need to get a light and a sling of some sort.

get a Remington 870 Express shotgun, make sure you look at the serial number and the last suffix has an M that means it can handle Magnum 3"-2-3/4" shells. You can always switch the barrel later and get a shorter barrel.

I like the Mossberg 500/590 over the Remington 870.
    I also have a CAI 12ga coach gun that I love. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Get thee to a a gun store and pick one out . :)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    ^^I have exactly that^^ My wife loves it too. I need to get a light and a sling of some sort.
    gotta love them! very destructive too.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I am considering buying a 12ga shotgun for home defense. I am looking to find a fairly inexpensive shotgun. I remember reading about a Mossberg model but any suggestions would be welcome.

I know that this isn't about a concealed weapon but I thought that this would be a great place to ask. I have always gotten good feedback on my handgun questions.

Thanks for the help.
    either a Mossy or a Remington are great SD Shotguns cant go wrong with EITHER..just go see what you can get a good deal on. I prefer the one model of Mossy that has the safety on the back strap as it were right where your thumb wraps around the stock..I like that better than the trigger guard ones..that said I happen to have a 870 Remington Turkey Special 20" black Parkerized model...I use that for HD as it is..id like to add a light mount...possibly a XS big dot front sight someday but its good to go stock...I like my SD stuff simple with no funky tacticool junk hanging off/on it.

Just keep it simple dont fall for all the pistol grip stocks and super duper mag tube extensions...just get a decent shotgun. I DO try to keep for HD the barrel length at 20" or LESS though that would be my only real stipulation

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would go with the Mossy
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I consider a Remington 870P to be a reasonably-priced upgrade from the Express. I don't have a link to the actual parts that are upgraded, but the better QC and s-m-o-o-t-h-e-r action are worth it, to me. With all the staked internal parts, better QC is particularly important, IMHO. If memory serves, the main parts that are upgraded are the springs. I believe the trigger guards of the 870P are now polymer, though for a while they were metal while the Express were polymer.

My older 870P is a joy. I recently purchased a Scattergun Technologies (Wilson Combat) 870, and am wishing I had just bought another 870P.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links