Which Home Defense Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Which Home Defense Shotgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a .pdf with differences between the 870 Express and 870 Police (870P): http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Home Defense Shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Here's a .pdf with differences between the 870 Express and 870 Police (870P):
    http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf

2. Remove Ads

I have a cheap black plastic-and-steel Mossberg 500, staning in a bedroom corner, loaded, next to the head of my bed. It ain't pretty but it will do and is good enough to cover or fill up my hallway with double-ought buck.

I have a Mossberg 500 with the extended magazine (7+1) and have a Benelli M 1 Super 90 in transit. :)

The Mossberg is excellent: Price and features, reliability and parts; recoil is tough with 3" Magnums and 00 Buck. Like this, except the magazine extends to the end of the BBl. I was always concerned I couldn't train enough to never short stroke the pump during a "matter".

Benelli: Pricey, but a history of reliability and ruggedness, similar to this:

I can't compare the two yet, but I have a feeling the Benelli is going to be a favorite. I'll never worry about short stroking the Benelli.

I like the Mossberg 500a great gun. and if you have a smaller wife or girlfriend the c is also a fine choice that is the 20g.With the piston grips for my personal HD weapon for the easier handleing in close quarters.

Just bought a Mossy 500 BullPup. Ugly as home-made sin, but the specs appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I've got a Maverick 88 I'm quite fond of, however if I had to do it again, I would have gotten the 8 round instead of 5.
    Not sure if maybe your Maverick is an older or has a plug in it, but the Maverick website shows a 6 and a 8 shot models.

Clicky --->88 Security

I have the 8 round version of the Maverick and I kinda wish I had gotten the 6. There are more replacement barrels to change the shotgun from a short barrel HD scatter to a longer rifled slug for deer hunting or a longer choked for Bird and even a .50 caliber Muzzleloader! There is no (that I have found so far) 8 shot barrels that do all of that, there is only 3 on the Maverick web site and none of them are rifled. Anyway, I love my Maverick. I might just buy a second that is the 6 shot for the barrel interchangeability.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

My opinion is that most so-called home-defense shotguns are gimmicks and not well suited to their purpose.

Better to use your regular hunting and clay target shooting shotgun, that you are familiar with, and shoot regularly. I'm amused when some well-meaning newbie shows up at our gun club with his new home-defense shotgun, and can't hit anything with it. We try to help them. but the real solution is to shoot several hundred rounds at moving clay targets.

Most people would be better off with a handgun.

P.S. I fire several thousand shotshells at clay targets every year, but our home defense weapon is a 6 shot Colt revolver.

JERRY

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I looked at both mossbergs and 870s.

At first I was going to get a high cap mossberg but didn't for two reasons.

1) I didn't like the 20" barrel, the shotgun seemed so much longer compared to an 18" barreled shotgun.

2) I didn't like the controls compared to the 870. Some day I might change out the stock to something with a pistol grip (in addition not a pistol grip only stock) and the safety lever on the mossberg doesn't work well with this setup.

I picked up a very basic 870 with the stock remington +2 extension tube. I am going to put on a XS big dot bead sight and maybe a side saddle and call it a day.

Simple, inexpensive and it will get the job done.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    My opinion is that most so-called home-defense shotguns are gimmicks and not well suited to their purpose.

Better to use your regular hunting and clay target shooting shotgun, that you are familiar with, and shoot regularly. I'm amused when some well-meaning newbie shows up at our gun club with his new home-defense shotgun, and can't hit anything with it. We try to help them. but the real solution is to shoot several hundred rounds at moving clay targets.

Most people would be better off with a handgun.

P.S. I fire several thousand shotshells at clay targets every year, but our home defense weapon is a 6 shot Colt revolver.

JERRY
    to each their own Jerry,
    you know from your example that a combat/defense shotgun with a 18 or 20 inch barrel isn't meant for shooting clays or birds, these are meant to shoot a human being center mass thats trying to kill you or your family, the military doesn't use 28" vent ribs, neither do cops

my 20" mossberg 500 and my duty Remington 18" 870 are much better suited for this, I practice with all my weapons, makes no difference, just like I practice with my different sized handguns

I use my 28" Ithaca or my 28" Savage or 28" Remington barrel to shoot birds or clays
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    to each their own Jerry,
    you know from your example that a combat/defense shotgun with a 18 or 20 inch barrel isn't meant for shooting clays or birds, these are meant to shoot a human being center mass thats trying to kill you or your family, the military doesn't use 28" vent ribs, neither do cops

my 20" mossberg 500 and my duty Remington 18" 870 are much better suited for this, I practice with all my weapons, makes no difference, just like I practice with my different sized handguns

I use my 28" Ithaca or my 28" Savage or 28" Remington barrel to shoot birds or clays
    As a long time shotgunner I agree, to each his own. Shotguns are about as versatile as it gets. My 870 served well for all hunting for the last 35 years. It now has been transformed into strictly HD. It's not a gimmick to my wife and I if I grab a very short tactical shotgun and start leveling whatever may be trying to kill us. Handguns are great but if I can get my 870 all the better. BTW I have a long model 12 for the birds. JMO.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    assemble one of these, but hold on to it. my daughter is trying to lay claim to it! Westernfield 550 (AKA Mossy 500)

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I roll with the Mossberg 590A1 with a Knoxx stock...love it!
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

I chose the BENELLI "NOVA"

1. Reliability
    2. Offers as an assy. a "mercury recoil compensator" 12ga 00 buck can be a "problem" for some (esp. the spouse ) & this GREATLY reduces it.
    3. GOOD choice of "shell lengths"
    4. Mag. tube extension avail.
    5. Ease of "dis-assembly"
    6. Good sights
    7. IMHO, good $$$

Note - a hint - recoil can also be redused on most shotguns, by by using "top quality" reduced recoil ammo such as Hornady TAP.

Here is mine ( set up for hunting (sans the extension.)

Puffer

This may not be a popular opinion but if you're looking for a well made inexpensive HD shotgun, check out the Pardner Protector or the Norinco 982 (sometimes called 'Interstate Arms'). Both have HD standard 18.5" barrels.

Not made in America, which may be a deal breaker for you. But no one can dispute the range reports. Just about as flawless as you can get. I haven't had one FTE or FTF in my Pardner yet. Many people report no issues after 1,000's and 1,000's of rounds.

The Pardner Protector has the benefit of having all parts (save for the barrel) interchangeable with a Remington 870. I have an 870 Knoxx stock and forend on my and they fit like a glove. If you do want a different barrel, they can be had for as little as $70.
    The Norinco has the benefit of free Ghost Ring Sights.

With little looking around you can get either of them out the door for around $200 or less.

Results of a 5 sec. Google search:
    Shotguns by Harrington & Richardson / NEF - NEF PARDNER PUMP PROTECTOR SHOTGUN 12/18.5" 5RD BL/SYN by Personal Security Zone

Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barre for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $185.00

My HD/SD shotgun is a police trade-in Mossy 500 with an 18" barrel and a Knoxx recoil stock. Mag cap is 5 rounds. With the Rem 870, it's easier to expand your mag cap but not near so with the Mossy 500. The safety on the 870 is by the trigger guard whereas the Mossy 500 is on the tang of the receiver. Both guns are great tools if you train with them and except their limitations.

I love my big ole' 12 gauge 500 and if I can get to my vault, it's a toss up between that and my AR. But... staring down the hallway at that big ole' hole in the barrel is one persuasive argument!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links