Which Home Defense Shotgun? - Page 5

Which Home Defense Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Which Home Defense Shotgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide between a 870 and a semi auto. I think the only advantage to the 870 is the recognizable shuck sound of ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Home Defense Shotgun?

I'm trying to decide between a 870 and a semi auto. I think the only advantage to the 870 is the recognizable shuck sound of chambering a round.

Distinguished Member
    I keep hearing over and over from those in the know that the sound of the pump is not going to scare a crazy person.

Having said that, I personally think that the pump is a simpler thing for a hd shotgun.

870 Marine Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I keep hearing over and over from those in the know that the sound of the pump is not going to scare a crazy person.

Having said that, I personally think that the pump is a simpler thing for a hd shotgun.
    In my opinion, if it does not, and they continue to persue aggression, they become human ballistics gellatin. I have heard a couple of stories to the contrary, that the sound of a shotgun cycling causes the agressor to exit stage right. I will definately give the agressor a chance to change their minds, unless they are in my immediate vicinity. If they get that close...all bets are off!!!!

My HD Shotgun is nothing fancy. A Winchester 1300 with the nicer wood furniture, but sporting an 18.5" barrel and extended magazine. I also have a 5 shell sidesaddle holder. I have hunted birds for over two decades with this gun and the action is smooth as glass. I want to keep it that way and when bird season comes around I just put the original barrel back on, take off the magazine tube extension and put the plug back in the original to stay legal.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

any shot gun will work for hd. the question is how much you want to spend on it. you can go all out and spend big or you can go cheap. either way they both will do the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have 2 HD shotties right now. One was my son's and is a Mossy 500 with colapsable stock with sidesaddle 5rnd, and 18" barrel. The other is my old Stevens 67C 20 guage pump with 18.5" barrel.

I tried the Mossy's 18" barrel on a old New Haven 12 guage pump and found it fits perfect so will be looking at getting one for it in the future. To me just like the handling and looks of the wood stock and short barrel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    true, someone hopped up on crack or meth probably won't be phased by the racking of a round

however, when I pulled up by my fellow officer on a felony stop the other night and whipped out the 870 and racked a round, he said he was startled

and the 2 18 year olds we pulled out of the car were definitely rattled

I think the main thing is for everyone not to depend on the sound of the shotgun chambering a round to scare off a threat, if you are racking the round it needs to be because you're about to stop a threat...not scare someone away
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    It's a home defense shotgun that will see limited use and almost certainly only some practice time. Recent post mentioned CDNN specials for 12g, 18" for under $200. I have a New England Firearms Pardner that cost $200 and is an unabashed knockoff of a Rem 870 (I think rem now owns NEF). Perfect and cheap. This is not a complicated semiauto pistol---it is a simple shotgun for probably a non-event and they all work flawlessly. You can mix a little handgun with shotgun and look at the Taurus Judge, a 45/410 shotgun shell as well.

I picked a Winchester Defender 12GA about 5 or 6 years ago. I put the Knoxx Spec-ops stock on it. It has been a fun gun at the range, and it is definitely the SHF gun for the home. One thing that is really cool about the FN or Winchester is that it will feed the mini-shells from AGUILA. I load up 11 of these little bombs....
    12 gauge mini-shotgun shells - aguila 12ga mini-shell 7 1/2 shot agui12ms75

The REM & MOSS are great choices too.

I'm giving serious consideration to a Stoeger Model 2000 semi auto shotgun, which is a copy of the inertia-driven Benelli (Benelli owns Stoeger, I believe). My uncle has the Benelli, and just ordered the Stoeger for my aunt. Cost is only about $450.

The Stoeger is available in 24, 26, and 28" barrel lengths. Longer than a typical defensive shotgun, but the more I think about it, the more I feel barrel length is a non-issue. My shotgun is for static defense of our safe room - if I need to move inside the house, I'm grabbing my Glock 19.

If I start trying my hand at skeet (been doing trap mostly) then the semi auto is much better (faster) than a pump. It would also be somewhat softer recoiling for my wife with buckshot.

Getting that itch again...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10thmtn, does someone make an 18'' barrel for that Stoeger?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    10thmtn, does someone make an 18'' barrel for that Stoeger?
    Not that I know of - but I haven't looked too hard. Like I said, for me, I don't think barrel length is as big of a deal as I originally thought. I'm not going to use my shotgun to clear a structure or anything. Purely a static last line of defense weapon.
    CT Lasers

I have Shotguns by Mossberg, Benelli, and Remington. Right now, the Mossberg gets the nod, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the M1S90 (even with a 28" barrel) if I had to; the 870 Wingmaster I recently picked up is going to be my project HD shotgun; put on a +2 extension, get the barrel chopped to 18.25", XS Big Dot night sight...I'll even keep the wood furniture.

I think any shotgun by a good manufacturer (Mossberg, Remington, FN/Winchester, Benelli/Stoeger) will do the trick. If you're going to be using it for a static, stay-in-the-bedroom and wait for the cavalry shotgun, a 28" hunting barrel will do just fine...just put a loose choke in it (if this is an option). If, however, you think you're going to go all ninja and clear your home (a bad idea, but a subject for another topic), you may want to consider a shorter barrel.

Personally, I think a pistol-gripped shotgun (not a pistol-grip stock) is pure tacticrap uselessness for home defense; but, if one wants to go for style over substance, by all means, hinder your ability to aim properly and work the action faster...

And as others have pointed out, don't discount a coach gun; yes, you only have two rounds...but that should get the job done pretty darn well.

Just my thoughts.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Took a look at a Stoeger 2000 semi auto at Gander Mountain today. They only had one, the floor model, and it was pretty scratched up. Doesn't seem like the finish is up to the standard of even a Remington 870 Express pump, which is what I currently have. It is lighter in weight, and should recoil less, of course.

The same store quoted my uncle $439 a few weeks ago; today it was $499 and the price they quoted earlier was "for a different gun." I'm soooo tired of lousy service at gun stores...

Anyway - I may get one at some point in the future for skeet. For tactical use, I think it is faster to load a shell in a pump's chamber when it runs empty than it is to do the same in a semi auto. I've never used a semi auto shotgun though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point.
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahle68 View Post
    I picked a Winchester Defender 12GA about 5 or 6 years ago. I put the Knoxx Spec-ops stock on it. It has been a fun gun at the range, and it is definitely the SHF gun for the home. One thing that is really cool about the FN or Winchester is that it will feed the mini-shells from AGUILA. I load up 11 of these little bombs....
    12 gauge mini-shotgun shells - aguila 12ga mini-shell 7 1/2 shot agui12ms75

The REM & MOSS are great choices too.
    A good idea. I have these 2 inch buckshot that I got from J&G sales. 6 pellets of 00 buckshot.
    Centurion 12Ga 6 Pellet, 00 Mini-Buck 2in. 10rd boxes
    I can get 7 of them in my limited 5-shot Mossy for use by my daughters; but in reality if you expend 2 of them in a H/D situation and still have a problem, you should probably be loading up some 3 inchers from the side saddle.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links