Which Home Defense Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Which Home Defense Shotgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying a 12ga shotgun for home defense. I am looking to find a fairly inexpensive shotgun. I remember reading about a Mossberg ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Home Defense Shotgun?

I am considering buying a 12ga shotgun for home defense. I am looking to find a fairly inexpensive shotgun. I remember reading about a Mossberg model but any suggestions would be welcome.

I know that this isn't about a concealed weapon but I thought that this would be a great place to ask. I have always gotten good feedback on my handgun questions.

Thanks for the help.

Remington 870. You should be able to find one cheap. 18" barrel would be good. I have mine set up with a Knoxx Spec Ops adjustable stock and love it.

I like and own a Mossberg 930 SPX 12 guage 8 Round...Nice autoloader, not real expensive for an autoloader and super reliable..can be bought for $500.00-$600.00

Remington 870 holds up.

It's hard to go wrong with a Remington 870, Mossberg 590-A1, FN, Benelli. Many people have the "police" models from these makers and seem highly pleased with the reliability, durability, performance.

Personally, I have a Remington 870 Police, 12ga, 14" bbl, ghost ring sights. It is nice. The extra four inches removed helps it navigate around corners and in tight spaces. (Of course, going shorter than 18" on the bbl costs you via the NFA restricted paperwork and tax stamp.)

I can't say enough about the 870P. It's very durable, reliable. Of about a thousand rounds so far, I've had one parts issue (extractor), which hasn't occurred since it was replaced with a modern/updated version of that piece. It'll feed any rounds from any manufacturer. It'll handle bird shot and buck shot, 2-3/4" and 3", and won't miss a beat. It's light, well-balanced and effective.

If you're shopping, I would definitely recommend holding them in your hand and playing with them a bit. The operating controls are different between models. Not everyone likes the safety/latches and where they're positioned, for example. You might find that features like this matter. I'm a lefty, for example, and some lefties swear by the ease-of-use of the Mossberg 590's tang-mounted safety. All of the top shotguns come in 18" and longer, some with 14" "police" variants.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You cant go wrong with pretty much any of the big brands out there. What it will really come down to is what specific features you are looking for and like. I would suggest something with an 18" barrel. When it comes to stocks it really is personal preference. If you decide to go with a pistol grip I suggest you at least get one that also has a collapsible stock that folds over or to the side of the shotgun. I dont like pistol grips because its hard to accurately aim (which you will have to do) and the recoil is not friendly on your wrists.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

There seems to be ton of accessories for the Rem 870 and Mos.500 line out there, should you want to modify your 12 ga at some point.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If it ends up between Rem 870 and Moss 500, look at the safeties. If you use a pistol grip stock the Moss safety is tougher to get to. That's the reason I went with the 870. I knew I was going to put an adjustable stock on it. Otherwise there is little difference. And if you leave the stock standard, there is no real issue.

I've got a Maverick 88 I'm quite fond of, however if I had to do it again, I would have gotten the 8 round instead of 5.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Mossbergs are my personal favorite since I'm a lefty but the 870 is fine. Those have the best track record and the most accessories available. Check out the local gunshop and pawnshops. While a "tactical" version is nice don't turn down a hunting style gun. They are usually cheaper and if you want you can get a long barrel cut for around 40 bucks with a new sight. Since you'll probably use it from a safe room or from a position of cover, the hunting gun will
    work and will throw better patterns probably. If you don't need to move with it a few extra inches of barrel won't hurt.

Thanks for the help. I need to go shopping soon and try out some shotguns and get a feel for them.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

RMS
    I have a Benelli Nova Pump that I am very well pleased with.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I've only ever owned an 870, but it's all I ever plan to own. Very sturdy and functional. We mainly run low recoil rounds through it (for the missus) with nary an issue. If I ever need another or multiple shottys they'll be 870's.

But I can't knock any of the others, just never owned them.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Remington 870. You should be able to find one cheap. 18" barrel would be good. I have mine set up with a Knoxx Spec Ops adjustable stock and love it.
    That's my exact set up with an extended mag and light. Love the Knoxx! THE perfect HD weapon to fight your way to. Loaded with 7 rounds of OO Buck. I want penetration to stop the threat pronto.

I highly recommend a pump over an auto. No worries about a jam with a pump, and I have seen a few 1100's jam over the years.

First you have to get by my little 105 lb. Chihuahua. I fed him nothing but T-bone steaks.

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links