Glock 23 Failure to Feed on Last Round

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Failure to Feed on Last Round within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, but have read a lot of good info from it in the past. I am not a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 Failure to Feed on Last Round

Glock 23 Failure to Feed on Last Round

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, but have read a lot of good info from it in the past. I am not a new shooter and am very familiar with Glocks. I purchased a Glock 23 about 6 months ago. So far, I have put abt 1000 rounds through my it. I get an FTF every 150 rounds or so. What's very perplexing to me is that the FTF ALWAYS occurs with the LAST round in the mag. I have 6 mags in total, and have been using 3. All have #8 followers and 2 Stamped by Glock Logo. I don't believe I limpwrist, but am willing to consider the possibility. In fact, I'd be delighted if that were the case. What makes no sense is that this happens ALWAYS with the last round. Statistically speaking, the limpwristing should be more random i.e. midway or early in the mag cycle. I am at a total loss. I sent one of the 2 mags that was giving me a problem to glock and they are going to look at it. I can't see anything wrong with any of the mags. I've taken them apart. I keep the pistol very clean and oiled. Fred, at Glock, suggested that perhaps it's a weak recoil spring (if that's the case, that's disturbing - happening after 1000 rounds), but again, why with the last round? I'd appreciate your all's feedback.

2. Remove Ads

You're not limp-wristing, for exactly the reason you describe.

Your post caught my eye as my lone Glock is a 23, bought before the Assault Weapon Ban sunset, so the first 3 mags I have are 10-rounders, and the next 3 or 4 are 13-rounders. I never ran into the problem you're having.

First questions I have are, what vintage are your mags, and are they all Glock OEM mags? A number of years ago there were two different types of mags produced, some which dropped free from the gun when the mag release was punched, and others which only dropped out about an inch. The former, I believe, were metal-lined mags, and the latter were not. To the best of my knowledge, all current Glock mags drop completely free.

This may seem to be unrelated to your feeding problems, but I suspect that there may have also been a change in mag springs and followers which would affect spring force on the last round. Just a thought.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the latest and greatest vintage mags G2 with #8 follower. Next time I go to the range I will make sure that the mag is always properly seated in the well. Also, what I am suspecting is that the last round was somehow not properly seated. Before I insert the mag I will tap the cartridge end against my palm to make sure all rounds are properly seated. I hope this is the problem. But then, I am supposed to be doing this each time?

I would just replace your mag spring and see if that does the trick.

the mag spring could be the problem.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You could be right. They are fairly new mags though. The spring tension seems fine, but I'll wait to hear from Glock. They have the first one that gave me the problem. I might have to send the rest. Never had any feeding issues with my G30, G26, G19, or G27. I've read a LOT of FTF reports on the recent G23s (within that last year).

I'll echo what the others have said that it may be the magazine spring. If the FTF issue were occurring before the final round before it feeds the final cartridge into the gun that would be an entirely different problem. It sounds like a magazine spring issue.

My 3rd generation G26 hasn't experienced any FTF problems so far.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Is it all types if ammo? Assuming it is, otherwise, there may not be enough juice to throw that side back along with and a spongy mag spring could be an issue.

The only times I have ever had any feeding/extracting problems with my G-23 is when I was using a 9mm conversion barrel and .40 mags. Once I went with 9mm mags, it cycled just fine.

All factory range ammo

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Wait and see what Glock Says.. but it sounds like a Mag spring problem to me... that or ammo... or a combination of both...

I have the same problem with my .22LR Bolt action... It fails to feed last round only with Federal ammo... so I only put Rem. through it
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyC View Post
    All factory range ammo
    All the same flavor? If it is the same brand, try something different and see if the problem still occurs.

Do you number your mags so you can tell which mags it's happening with,might only be one or two mags that have a weak spring,or is the slide lock being engaged
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Slide locking back, or slide riding over the top of the last round?

Recoil spring. They have updated the spring in the 23. Ask Glock for the newest one. Have had no troubles with my new 23.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I've got about 700 rounds through my 23 and have only had 2 FTF's. Both were at the range with range ammo about 1/2 way through the mag. Dropped the mag, cleared it, replaced mag, continued firing w/ no problems. Placed blame on the ammo, as the gun has been reliable as...well...a Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links