Help me decide.

Help me decide.

This is a discussion on Help me decide. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Here is my delimma I got a great christmas bonus and want to put 1/2 into a gun so I won't just fritter it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide.

Help me decide.

So Here is my delimma

I got a great christmas bonus and want to put 1/2 into a gun so I won't just fritter it away and wonder where it went.

My local shop has a Kimber Crimson carry in stock in both the pro and ultra size. These are beautiful firearms to my eyes. I really like the crimson trace laser grips. If I buy the Kimber it would need a new holster and new sights(TFO's I think).I also have no ammo on hand. The 45 is way more expensive to shoot than my other guns.

I already have two XD9sc's and a boatload of 9mm ammo.

I found a New XD9 Service with 4(yes 4) 16 round magazines for $429 including sales tax.

If i buy the XD I would have enough money to trick out my XDsc with tru-glo TFO's, Crimson trace laser grips and a cross breed supertuck. I could also add the crimson trace laser to my daily carry (an LCP) and still spend about two hundred less than the Kimber set up.

Just writing this down shows me that the XD is probably the smart move(kinda like deciding to marry the ugly girl who'll be a great wife) but the Kimber still appeals to my baser instincts (Hot girl, nothing but trouble, maybe unreliable, and will definatly cost more to keep running)

So what are your thoughts?

VIP Member
    Just writing this down shows me that the XD is probably the smart move(kinda like deciding to marry the ugly girl who'll be a great wife) but the Kimber still appeals to my baser instincts (Hot girl, nothing but trouble, maybe unreliable, and will definatly cost more to keep running)
    Ha! Reminds me of my last couple of girl friends! I really am old enough to know better, but I still go for the trouble-makers!

As for the gun, well that is usually a different story. But....

You already have decent guns at your disposal. I say go for the trouble-maker and enjoy the ride!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Diversify your collection.

Every gun collection must have a 1911 in it. Check out the Springfield Loaded.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

1911's are hard to resist...

Do you have a good HD shotgun? A rifle? Plinking guns, 10-22, 22 semi-auto pistol, lever action rifle?

Adding calibers can be rough, especially comparing price and availability of 9mm to .45 acp. Adding .22 lr-not so rough.

If you do want to go with .45acp, why not stick with XD if that is what works for you, I would probably go with GLOCK but that is my preference.

But as I said, 1911's are hard to resist...

(they do make 9mm 1911's)

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    I'd put forth some effort into what you already have. Then again, are you collecting or are you buying for a specific task?
    "Just blame Sixto"

See, you can be as sane and as sensible and as smart as me!

http://www.topix.com/album/detail/da...N4C3MHOOQDN0IU

I would go for the xd.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    I often find myself in this position... money in hand, do you buy stuff to put on the guns you have or buy a new gun... I always end up getting the new gun. I can find the money to add accessories here and there, but having the bucks to make a big purchase are harder to put together... I say get the Kimber and expand your collection. Everyone needs a 1911.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A "Hot" gun is always more affordable than a "Hot" date........short run or long run.

Logically the XD makes more sense, but that never stopped me! I was in a similar situation as I considered a Glock 30SF before I bought my Glock 23. The deal on the G23 was too enticing to pass. Plus I already had a G22, so ammo, holsters, etc. also fit.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Thanks to everyone for the input, still not sure which way I will go, but I guess making the decision is half the fun. I will post pictures of the outcome, especially if it winds up being the hot Kimber.

Been there, done that..........buy the "fun" gun.
    You have your "workin" guns....now get something you enjoy tinkering with and looking at. I'd buy the Kimber even though I know from experience they can be a PITA.

I love my Glocks, but I still have two Kimbers, an Ultra and a Compact...so I say, go for the Kimber.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    While I have the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and I like I, I just don't love it like I do my Model 36 snubbie.
    Have you thought of a BUG?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links