Para warthog

This is a discussion on Para warthog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experince with the .45 para warthog 3" double stack??? First off I was looking at buying a kimber 3" but read to ...

Thread: Para warthog

Para warthog

Anyone have any experince with the .45 para warthog 3" double stack??? First off I was looking at buying a kimber 3" but read to many post about people having feed problems with kimber, so I thunk I'm gona have to pass on that one!! So my dealer has a para warthog that I like, but have never seen one in action. I know para makes good guns but don't know to much bout the 3" so any info would be appriciated thanks to all who helps!!
    glock 26- crossbreed ST
    SA micro compact 1911-crossbreed ST
    S&W m&p 9 crossbreed ST
    S&W bodygaurd 380
    S&W M&P15-eotech

2. Remove Ads

I have fired one once and I decided not to get it. Here were my reasons. The gun is small but thick. For me there wasn't an easy option to conceal it. The grip of the gun in my hand wasn't comfortable. I felt like I didn't have a decent grip on the weapon and for me it didn't feel right. Shooting was fine. Accurate. The controls were all easy to use. I went with a glock 36 instead for a .45 carry pistol but if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a karh 45. Good luck hope it helps.

And the mags are 50 dollars.
    Last edited by moggie6; January 21st, 2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: mag pricing
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I have never owned a para,but if you search there are lots of threads about the finish and the guns having problems with FTF.I've heard it's kinda like you roll the dice you might get a good gun or a lemon,also heard their customer service is lacking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I have had a P-12 45 for 16 years and I have carried it in a Sparks VM-II and an older OWB Milt Sparks holster. I have also shot the living piss out of it and it is very reliable. My carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 200 grain.

I wanted to add to it and I have been so impressed with the P-12, so I looked at and shot a Warthog. It isn't that much smaller as to be noticable and the one I shot had numerous FTF in a variety of ammo in 150 rounds. I spoke with another that owned one and he said it took him a significant amount of screwing with it and an extensive search of ammo to find something that was reliable.

I recommend that you look at the P-12 as I haven't heard near the issues with it if you decide to go with a Para. With 12 rounds and the steel frame that I have it is heavy to carry, but the VM-II handles it well.

PS: you can get factory mags for $39 at CDNN
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I might jus go with a .40 cal in a glock or sumthin else cuz it sounds to me that wit a .45 u hav a hit and miss with em!! And Id rather not roll the dice!!
    glock 26- crossbreed ST
    SA micro compact 1911-crossbreed ST
    S&W m&p 9 crossbreed ST
    S&W bodygaurd 380
    S&W M&P15-eotech

Ow! Ouch! Oh! Damn! Fu__! Sh__!

VIP Member
    I think you'll find the Para's have a worse reputation than Kimber... I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry and it's flawless... I do agree with other comments about the Para being thick and not so easy to conceal... I'd look at the G30 or 36...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

How about a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special 45 (CS45)? It sports a 3.25 inch barrel, weighs 23 oz and it an amazing firearm! I own one plus a Chief' Special 40 same as the 45 but in 40 caliber!

You can find one NIB for about $550! Gunbroker has them frequently.

I tried to own 2 paras last year...they both were out of the box defective and Para could really care less... cost me $70 to ship it back..it had multiple FTF's, brass hit me square in the forehead when it would shoot, and the finish was wearing very bad after a week of owning it...never carried it..just took it out of the holster to show friends and the finish was coming off...Para told me that it was holster wear and there for not covered under warranty...when i got it back I took it straight to the dealer and traded it for a stainless Slim Hawg..it was worse...it would lock up and I would have to disassemble it to get back to working... I traded it the next day for a PPS...I lost alot of money on my Para experience....they look good sitting in the store...alot of people have them and love them...but I have yet to talk to someone who has a newer one that loves it...I would buy a Kimber in a heartbeat over a Para....Just my experience...hope it helps...Robbie

Links