Defensive Carry banner

Gun for a tiny girlfriend.

4K views 43 replies 39 participants last post by  Jackle1886 
#1 ·
My girlfriend currently owns a Springfield XD9 subcompact that she carries with her in her purse. She would like to have a gun to carry actually on her body for the times when she doesn't want to take her purse with her. She is very small, (about 90 lbs and 5'4") so carrying her XD concealed in a holster is really out of the question. It sticks out even when she has it in her waistband with a heavy coat over it.
My Keltec P3AT and Diamondback DB380 are about as big as she can hide on her with just a t-shirt since she is so small. The problem is that she limp wrists them no matter how hard she tries not to, and she gets maybe 2 rounds off before the gun jams. It's not a problem with the guns because I can put 100 rounds through both of them without an issue.
So, I need an idea. She is trying to work on her wrist and forearm strength at the gym, but that's not a very quick solution. She can't carry anything much bigger due to her size without wearing baggy clothing (not happening), so I was thinking maybe I would buy something in .32acp or .25acp, or a .22 rim fire cartridge :gah:. I don't like the idea of her carrying such a weak firearm, but I might have no other choice if I want to have something around for her to carry on her belt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Sounds like a job for the j-frame....a S&W 442/642

#4 ·
If she limp wrists the P3AT, the LCP probably wouldn't be a good option, either. Maybe one of the single-stack 9mm's would be thin enough. Kahr PM9 and the Taurus 709 come to mind. Either would be much thinner than the XD. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some other options.

#5 ·
My wife falls pretty much into that same category, get her a good OC spray like a Kimber Guardian Angel she can keep on her body, its about the only thing she will be able to conceal. My wife limp wrists my Kahr and LCP but shoots the XD like a beast. Small guns are much more sensitive to this.

#15 ·
Take her to a gun shop with a range and have her try out some guns.

380 pistols seem to have trouble cycling under good conditions, so a less-than-firm grip is a big problem.

What about purse-carry? That way she could pack a revolver.

If she doesn't carry a purse the Beretta might be the best thing. A little gun is better than no gun at all.

#16 ·
If lack of strength, consider that most semi-auto pistols are going to require a measure of strength in order to operate the slide. She may be limited only to those pistols with light slide force required. You'll have to check around for examples. I can't think of any, off the top of my head.

Revolver comes to mind, particularly if you "tune" the action to have a somewhat lighter pull weight.

Inability to conceal can be due to clothing choice and how it fits, which can be rectified via selection of different clothing that allows more space for carry, covers the bulges/curves better. Shrinking the gun isn't the only choice, here. The choice of effective covering garments can also help. For example, someone might not be able to deftly conceal a given gun IWB under a tight shirt, but that same person with a hoodie sweatshirt can conceal it just fine.

#17 ·
She absolutely hates my J-frame. She likes my PPS but it still sticks out on her unless she is wearing some seriously oversized clothing. A sweatshirt works for that but I am looking ahead to 100 degree days this summer when a cover garment is pretty much out of the question. I am thinking she might like to get the Jetfire so I am trying to find one for her to test. I just don't like the idea of her carrying such a weak firearm, but I suppose its better than spray or a knife. She has mace with her and a Benchmade most of the time anyway. And if I buy a Sig I don't think she will ever see it. Haha!:smile:

#34 ·
Unfortunately, one of the realities of CC is that you need often need to adjust your wardrobe to your gun, rather than vice versa. It's a committment.

And I'll be the first to say that I havent done it yet. I purse carry. When I do buy a smaller gun (in the next yr I hope), I will be trying to make that same adjustment myself.

I'm looking at single-stacks, the Kahrs, Springfield EMPs (which will be awhile before I can afford), and I saw and held a EAA Witness that I liked. I like the Sig 239, but it still seems too big.

#18 ·
Go with a Kel-Tec P32 or Kahr P380. My girlfriend had the same problem with my LCP but not with the P32. The Kahr is just an easier gun to hold, control, and operate(racking of the slide) then an LCP or P3AT. A J-frame is not always a viable option due to the considerably heavy trigger pull. My girlfriend had a hard enough time just getting the gun to fire let alone being able to draw it fast and actually hit a target.

#22 ·
Try something with a little weight and size to it, especially weight. Don't compel her to take a whipping from the recoil of some shrunken featherweight handgun. Just because she's small doesn't mean the smallest types of handguns are the best choice for her. Avoid ineffective cartridges too.

#23 ·
People can suggest...all day long, but SHE has to make the decision. Have her 'test feel' at the gun shop.:yup:
My wife had a KelTec .32, but likes the Glock-26. I also bought her a S&W 637, but she still likes the Glock-26.:blink:

#24 ·
My knee-jerk reaction was "get her a steel J-frame" - no muss, no fuss, no bother with limp-wristing. But the suggestion for a Sig 238 was right on target, too. The 1911-style .380s seem to be less prone to limp-wrist problems than the blowback actions, but that's just an observation - don't take it as gospel truth. The blowback .380s are not known for their gentle recoil.

Please skip the .22s and .25s; even .32 ACP is marginal with a capital M. And although it's not street-proven, you might also look into the new S+W wheel guns in .327 Federal. Good downrange energy and less recoil than a full-house .38.

#27 ·
It might not be the smallest .380 around but the Bersa .380 is pretty soft shooting and reliable...

#28 ·
Why not the Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm, or even .40 cal? The overall wight is a little heavier maybe, but for a girl who's working to build forearm and wrist strength, this shouldn't be a problem at all.
Absolutely flawless in operation and accuracy, the SA/DA is perfect for someone who desires the choice. The stock grip is smaller, IMO, so it should fit your honey's grip. There's always the option to switch grips to a Hogue or something else you desire. The P239 is the perfect CCW for a huge majority of people, again IMHO.

#30 ·
Gosh, it's really up to you. Go try them on and see what feels better. Shoulder carry will definitely conceal better, depending on how you're dressed. But can you draw decently from that position? Is access free? Have you practiced from that position? Try a bunch, but I still recommend the Sig P239 for either Shoulder carry or IWB. It has to feel right to YOU, no matter what anyone else tells you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.