Gun for a tiny girlfriend.

This is a discussion on Gun for a tiny girlfriend. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend currently owns a Springfield XD9 subcompact that she carries with her in her purse. She would like to have a gun to carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun for a tiny girlfriend.

Gun for a tiny girlfriend.

My girlfriend currently owns a Springfield XD9 subcompact that she carries with her in her purse. She would like to have a gun to carry actually on her body for the times when she doesn't want to take her purse with her. She is very small, (about 90 lbs and 5'4") so carrying her XD concealed in a holster is really out of the question. It sticks out even when she has it in her waistband with a heavy coat over it.
    My Keltec P3AT and Diamondback DB380 are about as big as she can hide on her with just a t-shirt since she is so small. The problem is that she limp wrists them no matter how hard she tries not to, and she gets maybe 2 rounds off before the gun jams. It's not a problem with the guns because I can put 100 rounds through both of them without an issue.
    So, I need an idea. She is trying to work on her wrist and forearm strength at the gym, but that's not a very quick solution. She can't carry anything much bigger due to her size without wearing baggy clothing (not happening), so I was thinking maybe I would buy something in .32acp or .25acp, or a .22 rim fire cartridge . I don't like the idea of her carrying such a weak firearm, but I might have no other choice if I want to have something around for her to carry on her belt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a job for the j-frame....a S&W 442/642
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    What he said.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If she limp wrists the P3AT, the LCP probably wouldn't be a good option, either. Maybe one of the single-stack 9mm's would be thin enough. Kahr PM9 and the Taurus 709 come to mind. Either would be much thinner than the XD. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some other options.

My wife falls pretty much into that same category, get her a good OC spray like a Kimber Guardian Angel she can keep on her body, its about the only thing she will be able to conceal. My wife limp wrists my Kahr and LCP but shoots the XD like a beast. Small guns are much more sensitive to this.

I used to own a beretta 950 jetfire in 25ACP. I really enjoyed the gun. It is a dream to shoot, and it has a 8+1 capacity. Very small and light. Check it out.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Ruger SR9C is a great little pistol i liek that better then the kel-tec or Ruger LCP.

Distinguished Member
    Isn't a j frame wider than a XD??????

As much as I hate to say it, maybe a Berreta 25cal. tip up barrel, so easy to load. I would think it would feed better than a 22lr, but it is not a power house.

If tight clothing is more important than self defense, your choices are limited.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

EW3

NO! Have her try some smaller, flatter guns like a Kahr, Walther PPS, or even a SIG P239, and see what SHE feels comfortable with. Maybe even a Beretta Tomcat .32?

A lightweight snubnose will probably turn her off guns forever; they are pretty nasty to shoot. I could only do 50 rounds and done with my 442 and that was with a shooting glove.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I was surprised how tame my Sig P238 is. It's the easiest slide to rack, and has minimum recoil.
    It's a S/A only, so I don't know how that would affect her decision.
    For small autos, I don't think you can beat the Sig.

Kahr P380 is also very nice...
    Side by side with a Kel Tec p3at

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Isn't a j frame wider than a XD??????

As much as I hate to say it, maybe a Berreta 25cal. tip up barrel, so easy to load. I would think it would feed better than a 22lr, but it is not a power house.

If tight clothing is more important than self defense, your choices are limited.

Z
    The thin grip makes the J frame very concealable. If concerned about recoil go with Mod 60 or Ruger SP.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Seecamp?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    beretta bobcat or tomcat, both are not sensitive to limp wristing at all. although the .22 caliber models are ammo sensitive, stick with cci minimags or stingers. YouTube - Beretta 21A 22LR Firearm Review ( Part 1 )
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Take her to a gun shop with a range and have her try out some guns.

380 pistols seem to have trouble cycling under good conditions, so a less-than-firm grip is a big problem.

What about purse-carry? That way she could pack a revolver.

If she doesn't carry a purse the Beretta might be the best thing. A little gun is better than no gun at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links