Handling single action - Page 2

Handling single action

This is a discussion on Handling single action within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wheel Others have responded to this comment, but I think it should be emphasized. This is very bad advice. One should NEVER ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling single action

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    Others have responded to this comment, but I think it should be emphasized.

This is very bad advice. One should NEVER decock a single action auto (i.e. 1911 style) in this manner. There are NO safeties in play that would prevent the gun from firing should your thumb slip off the hammer.

Remove the mag, lower the thumb safety with the gun pointed in a safe direction, and rack the slide to empty the chamber. THEN you can lower the hammer if desired. That's the correct and only safe way to do it.

ETA: It should also be noted that it's generally not a good idea to carry a 1911 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. So even if you succeed in decocking in the manner the OP suggests, your gun is not in a very safe condition. True, more recent models have firing pin safeties that will provide some level of protection, but older models don't. If you drop the gun or hit the hammer it might fire. It's just not a good idea.

Can I ask you how you do with SA revolvers?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I will start out by stating my preference for carry being . . . No Safety. I do shoot in competition and have noticed with, lets use 1911s for SA/Safety guns, that myself and other competitors rarely but it happens forget to sweep the safety when drawing and attempting to fire. Also if you do not like to ride the safety and put your thumb under it you can inadvertly engage the safety. These issues are rare but i do not wish to encounter them in a self defense situation.

Decocking a DA/SA gun becomes just as easy as using a safety without the posibility of trying to fire a "locked" gun. Those of you who have used 1911 style for many years, even brought up with them I am sure this is not an issue.

A quick comment on lowering the hammer on a cocked and locked gun. This was a detective story thing many years ago where famous fictional detectives, Mike Hammer comes to mind would cock the hammer when he drew and then lower it on a live round after he shot the bad guy. I do not think anyone with common sense would do this in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Can I ask you how you do with SA revolvers?
    I don't own and have never handled a SA revolver, and have little knowledge of them (although I'd like to own one some day). From what I read the only method to decock them is "the dangerous way".

I'm curious.... you say you keep your SA (auto I assume) with a round in the chamber, hammer down. Do you cock it with your thumb? If so that's just as risky as decocking...... more so actually because you're probably doing it under stress when something goes bump in the night. You could of course rack the slide, but then you'd sacrifice a live round. Just wonder why you choose hammer down rather than cocked and locked. I know it's a personal choice, but usually there's some logic behind it and in this case I don't see any.... I only see risk.

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    I don't own and have never handled a SA revolver, and have little knowledge of them (although I'd like to own one some day). From what I read the only method to decock them is "the dangerous way".

I'm curious.... you say you keep your SA (auto I assume) with a round in the chamber, hammer down. Do you cock it with your thumb? If so that's just as risky as decocking...... more so actually because you're probably doing it under stress when something goes bump in the night. You could of course rack the slide, but then you'd sacrifice a live round. Just wonder why you choose hammer down rather than cocked and locked. I know it's a personal choice, but usually there's some logic behind it and in this case I don't see any.... I only see risk.

I understand what you mean; that might be one of the reasons because why some people prefer DAO firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

As mentioned before If you want a small 9mm and don't mine the DA trigger I would also suggest a Kahr PM9. I like the trigger pull on it by the way, just take practice to get used to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links