Nutty idea...

This is a discussion on Nutty idea... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I'm no gunsmith. In fact, I'm barely mechanically competant. Also, it's no secret that I'm not a Hi-Point fan. However... I've been frustrated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutty idea...

VIP Member

Nutty idea...

First off, I'm no gunsmith. In fact, I'm barely mechanically competant. Also, it's no secret that I'm not a Hi-Point fan.

However...

I've been frustrated with what to do with a Hi-Point C-9. I don't trust it enough to sell it with a clean conscience, and I hate to destroy it. So today I took it completely down and started looking for what all was wrong with it. I ended up polishing the feed ramp, smoothing out jagged edges (there was a lot of just sloppy machining), sanding off the junk peeling off the barrel, air-blasting it, lubing it, and cycling several mags of snap caps thru it. When I was done, it felt like a different gun. I then put about 150 rounds of cheap Wolf steel cases thru it (it used to gag on those) and each one cycled flawlessly. It always shot straight, so at the moment, I'm not hating it like I used to...

Then I start thinking - What if I were to drill out the cheap rolled-steel take-down pin and replace it with something beefier and easier to extract like the LCP uses? What other minor improvements could I make? I wonder if there is an opportunity for someone far more competant than myself to strike a reseller agreement with Hi-Point and produce a more reliable pistol that can still be priced at an entry-level for those who simply can't afford to drop 500 bucks?

By striking a wholesale purchase & reseller agreement, I suspect that you could put a far more reliable pistol on the market at about $250 apiece and yield a gross margin of about $150 per pistol. That kind of margin covers a lot of overhead and costs.

'Like I said, 'just a nutty thought for some talented entrepeneur?
    Last edited by WHEC724; January 23rd, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a fun project.

I get into a little off hand gun smithing too. I just cropped my CW9 down to a covert model and it turned out just as I had hoped it would. I'll leave the truly mechanical and finer inner workings to the professionals though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Sounds like a fun project.

I get into a little off hand gun smithing too. I just cropped my CW9 down to a covert model and it turned out just as I had hoped it would. I'll leave the truly mechanical and finer inner workings to the professionals though.
    Rule number one, it didn't happen if there are no pictures.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

People buy Hi-Points cause they're cheap,I seriously doubt a company is gomma enter into an agreement where you take their pistols and work on them and then charge more,if that was the case they would do it themselves and charge more money,the Hi-Points,Cobra,Jennings fill a niche market and that is producing pistols as cheap as possible targeting people that only got 100.00 for a gun and having 0 knowledge thinking all guns will shoot perfectly out of the box
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Rule number one, it didn't happen if there are no pictures.
    It was a couple of weeks ago, but here is the thread with the pics.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    It was a couple of weeks ago, but here is the thread with the pics.
    Duh... I have CRS, I remember seeing that now that you have pointed my feeble mind to it.

Nice job.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Very cool, GBK! I somehow missed that thread.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

You can put lipstick on an pig, but ...
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i dont think it would work. there are lots of improvements that could be made to the hi point brand, but they all involve raising the price. the price and the warranty are the major selling points of the brand.

i bought a C9 because i had almost no money to spend but felt very strongly that i needed to start carrying. my C9 has not given me a single problem so far......except for the 25 oz. unloaded weight. for $125, you cant beat that.

i do plan on getting something else when i can afford it. but for the forseeable future, i don't see it happening.

Most Hi-Point users would rather use the unlimited warranty to fix any perceived or real problems.

Keep the Hi-Point as a spare for the time of the Zombies and leave it alone.

Administrator
    Skilled labor doesnt come cheap. And paying somebody to modify a pile of poo doesnt change the fact that its a pile of poo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Skilled labor doesnt come cheap. And paying somebody to modify a pile of poo doesnt change the fact that its a pile of poo.
    LOL. Very good points - everyone. Notice that I left the idea out there for someone else to do ? Being self-employed, I'm always reaching for the 'next idea'. A project like that might be something I try in my retirement years.

A friend of mine bought a SCCY 9mm (very inexpensive and "cheap" gun) and it had all sorts of problems. He's very mechanically inclined and proceeded to disassemble the gun and take small hand files and tidy up the poor machine work and made a very reliable gun. Now he is rounding off some of the corners on the frame where it is uncomfortable on the upper web of the hand due to the design. He's got the patience and ability to make it both reliable and comfortable with a little effort and save some cash. I'm not that patient. I really like the Kahr conversion done by GBK. Looks sweet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links