New Sigma .40 range report.

This is a discussion on New Sigma .40 range report. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just I had imagined, the new Sigma functioned 100% through 100 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of HST today. Got home from the LGS ...

Thread: New Sigma .40 range report.

New Sigma .40 range report.

Just I had imagined, the new Sigma functioned 100% through 100 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of HST today. Got home from the LGS around 10:30 and after a quick trigger job, was out the door to the range at 11:00. I did the spring mod, and holy cow it made a huge difference. It's not as nice of a trigger as my PPS was, but it's certainly not anywhere near 10lbs or whatever the factory pull is. Was shooting a small rotten log from across a buddies pond at about 40-50 yards. I was very pleased with the accuracy, just about as accurate with it as I am my 1911. Probably the best $300 I ever spent on a gun. Now I've just got to decide what to do with my rebate since I really have no use for more than the two factory mags. I'll probably just take the $50 and make it the best $250 I've spent on a new gun.

On a side note, my Sig P238 doesn't strike hard enough to fire CCI primers very reliably. I think I had about 5 rounds in 100 that failed to fire the first time, but fired on the second strike. I had one that refuse to fire period, no matter how many times the hammer hit it. On a positive note, all my factory ammo worked great, excpet for one misfeed on some Buffalo Bore 100gr Hard Lead Flat Nose, not sure what happened, but it was the only failure.

My .45 reloads are still working great, only had two or three failures to feed. Once again, not sure why because after re-inserting them in the mag, they chambered just fine.

2. Remove Ads

Well, since .40 cailber ammo cost too much to feed my hungry shiny Sigma, I bought a brand-new shiny stainless steel 1911 Colt .45, at a Bill Goodman Gun Show, today. I bought the Sigma because .40 caliber is the standard cop round in my hometown.

Glad you like your Sigma! I've got about 1000rds through my 40VE, mostly cheap Walmart/Fleet Farm crap, without a single failure. Did you have someone do the trigger job, or did you do it yourself?

I have over 5k+ rounds through my 40VE with out a single problem. I use it as my home defense gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I did the trigger job myself. I consider myself pretty well mechanically inclined, so I've always done my own gun work. My proudest job has to be my 2# crisp 10/22 trigger job. The Sigma mod is simply removing the striker assy. and removing two springs. Now I need to figure out how to get my P238 to strike the firing pin harder. It looks like the firing pin just barely sticks out of the back of the slide. Doesn't seem like the hammer would strike it very well.

VIP Member
    Sounds great, glad the Sigma is working 100% for you... I've been thinking real hard about getting a Sigma .40... $250 after the rebate, for a new gun is outstanding... I don't have anything in .40, but there is tons of .40 ammo around here all the time and it would just be a fun gun...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links