Any thoughts on S&W 442 Airweight?

Any thoughts on S&W 442 Airweight?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on S&W 442 Airweight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a almost new(less the 250 rounds through it) S&W 442 Airweight in 38spl, as well as about 6 boxes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on S&W 442 Airweight?

Smile Any thoughts on S&W 442 Airweight?

I have a chance to buy a almost new(less the 250 rounds through it) S&W 442 Airweight in 38spl, as well as about 6 boxes of ammo, holster and 2 sets of grips for a VERY reasonable price. Think under $550 for the works. Now my question is does anyone have any experience with these small (J) aluminum frame Smiths? I don't, I have always carried larger all steel revolvers. Also are there any issues I may need to know about with these, besides the fact that a steady diet of full power +p ammo may be detrimental to it's well being.
    Libertas Vel Mors

IMO, the appropriate price for a used 442 Airweight is under $400 if like new, or under $350 is fairly well-used. Perhaps that's just me.

The 442 is a great gun, for what it is. At 15.8oz, it's wonderful in the pocket. As a baby revolver, it fits well in a good holster. It is a .38spl gun, not a .357 like some of the scandium-framed alternatives out there. Caution, but +P gets hard to handle. With "hot" ammo, it has a very sharp, painful recoil with the stock boot grips. And these teeny grips are what help it be so concealable.

Mine wasn't rated for +P. Though, that's what I had in it, for carry. I had put ~500 rounds through it, in total, by the time I sold it. Almost all of that was standard .38spl. It seemed to be very manageable with Remington's standard Golden Saber JHP .38 ammo.

I wasn't ever very accurate with it. I would strongly suggest first trying one out at the range. You might find you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

By comparison, I was deadly accurate with a 3" Ruger SP-101. The extra 10oz and longer barrel changed the balance enough to make all the difference, for me. YMMV, but I'd suggest a test-drive, if you're able.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I personally own one. Runs like a top, but hey, it's a revolver. Only issue I had was the piece that screws into the ejector and holds the cylinder in place. It loosened and wouldn't allow the cylinder to close. Only thing I have found so far. Otherwise they're great. Enjoy it, as it will serve you well.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Is $550 reasonable for all of that?

In my area a brand new in the box 442 can be bought for $400-$450 depending on the dealer.

Anyway nice guns...own a 642 and carry it alot and shoot it occasionally.

Personally I would keep looking until you found a Ruger LCR. They handle the recoil better and have a much better trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Compact45 View Post
    Is $550 reasonable for all of that?

In my area a brand new in the box 442 can be bought for $400-$450 depending on the dealer.

Anyway nice guns...own a 642 and carry it alot and shoot it occasionally.
    Cheapest I have found a new one here is $470 plus tax and background check. I asked and I can get the gun and everything for $500. I know the owner of this one and he bought it 6 months ago and can't shoot it very well, he replaced it with a Sig 238. I've looked at it as well and it is in as new condition, shot a little and never carried. That and the extras I believe make it worth 5 bills.

Jackawala: I have been perusing the Superduper Snubby thread as well. Lots of good info on snubbies but not a lot on this one in particular.

I used to have a Taurus 605 .357 mag and have ben kicking myself for selling it about 10 years ago. I think I may like this one a bit better as it is lighter and has no exposed hammer.

IDbound: I'm not sold on the LCR yet, I've handled one but not shot one as of right now. I know Smith & Wesson makes darn good small revolvers though.

Thank you toeveryone for their input thus far.
    Libertas Vel Mors

VIP Member
    I think that's a good deal... You know the history of the gun and you're getting the extras, I'd say get it. The 442 is a great pocket carry gun. Carry it with +P's, do most of your practicing with std. power .38's, shoot a few +P's so your comfortable and you're good to go... My 642 is one of my favorites...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    IMO...that is a good deal on a great gun....642 and 442 is the same firearm in different colors. both are great, and will last forever...I haven't heard of any breaking...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

If the grips are above average then the deal is probaly worth it. I can get a new one around $450.00. 6 boxes cheap ammo $75.00. A good holster $50.00. I have a 637 and its very close to being my favorite gun in the safe. Shoots well with standard ammo and a joy to carry. I added a set of grips from www.esmeralda.com. I would take an Airweight over a pocket pistol jammer mousegun .380 anyday.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I have one thought-- wish I had one.

Take $500 cash with you. Put $450 in your right pant pocket and the rest in your left pocket. Offer him $450 and put the wad of cash in his hand and see what happens.

Under the circumstances, as you describe, I think the packet is worth $500, but you may feel better if you got it for less. Right? Go for it!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I hpocket ave carried a 442 for over 12 years. It is a speciality gun for me. I use it when i know I will be wearing a jacket and can carry it in a jacket pocket. Or, I carry in a Thunderwear holster when I am wearing gym shorts, which, in Florida, is often.

I Have A Question

It is 20 years old and has an aluminum cylinder, I beleive. I have Magsafe P+ in it when I carry and just wondered if anyone here thinks that it will not tolerate such a strong load and, perhaps, explode??? Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, the appropriate price for a used 442 Airweight is under $400 if like new, or under $350 is fairly well-used. Perhaps that's just me.

The 442 is a great gun, for what it is. At 15.8oz, it's wonderful in the pocket. As a baby revolver, it fits well in a good holster. It is a .38spl gun, not a .357 like some of the scandium-framed alternatives out there. Caution, but +P gets hard to handle. With "hot" ammo, it has a very sharp, painful recoil with the stock boot grips. And these teeny grips are what help it be so concealable.

Mine wasn't rated for +P. Though, that's what I had in it, for carry. I had put ~500 rounds through it, in total, by the time I sold it. Almost all of that was standard .38spl. It seemed to be very manageable with Remington's standard Golden Saber JHP .38 ammo.

I wasn't ever very accurate with it. I would strongly suggest first trying one out at the range. You might find you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

By comparison, I was deadly accurate with a 3" Ruger SP-101. The extra 10oz and longer barrel changed the balance enough to make all the difference, for me. YMMV, but I'd suggest a test-drive, if you're able.
    Yup! an +1 on taking to the range. Biker would kill me but I suck with a revolver on the range. The titaniums take forever to get back on target, IMHO, and forget speed strips or speed loads unless you practice, practice, practice.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links