New XD-40sc

New XD-40sc

This is a discussion on New XD-40sc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks! Just bought a new XD-40 sub compact and I'm not sure if I have a problem. When I load the magazine and put ...

Thread: New XD-40sc

New XD-40sc

Hi folks! Just bought a new XD-40 sub compact and I'm not sure if I have a problem. When I load the magazine and put it in the gun with the slide closed, the magazine doesn't want to latch in place unless I hit the bottom of it. Also, when I try to release the full mag, the release button is VERY stiff. So stiff that it's impossible to release the mag with my shooting hand thumb. If I load the full mag with the slide open, it goes in easily and releases easy. Same with loading and releasing an EMPTY mag with the slide closed...no problems. Is this a problem or could it just be that the gun is new and hasn't had any break-in???

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer View Post
    Hi folks! Just bought a new XD-40 sub compact and I'm not sure if I have a problem. When I load the magazine and put it in the gun with the slide closed, the magazine doesn't want to latch in place unless I hit the bottom of it. Also, when I try to release the full mag, the release button is VERY stiff. So stiff that it's impossible to release the mag with my shooting hand thumb. If I load the full mag with the slide open, it goes in easily and releases easy. Same with loading and releasing an EMPTY mag with the slide closed...no problems. Is this a problem or could it just be that the gun is new and hasn't had any break-in???
    Well, first off......congratulations on your new pistol! 40cal. I like that. Second...I have no experience with the XD pistols, but what I'm going to say comes from experience with a variety of pistols over the years. I think it's a common issue with some new pistols/new magazines. I've had the experience myself (with the Glock 45s). What's going to facilitate breaking things in is hitting the bottom of the magazine hard to make it seat when inserted fully loaded, and/or getting the new magazine springs to seat when loading them. It's usually the top round being at such an oblique angle in a new magazine with nose up that hits against the slide making things tight. Don't worry....be happy! You just got yourself a new pistol! Things are good. Just work with it.

The new mag springs are very stiff, leave them loaded for a few days and it will become much easier to load loaded magazines and release them while the slide is closed.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new XD...My XD45 was the same way when it was new... The mags were also real hard to fully load at first... Go shoot it some and it will loosen up nicely...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congrats, great choice!!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Congrats on the new XD...
    Others have already given you the needed suggestions...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love mine, same issues as your having. I suggest get a few boxes of range ammo, and go out and use your gun at the range. It'll break in, the springs are stiff right now. keep your mags full and those springs will start to break in and not be so bad. When I got mine, there was no way after like 3-4 rounds I could load without the speed loader, now after about 700 rounds I can easily load both mags without the loader. My release was also stiff but after some break in time its fine. It is always harder to release a mag if its full and when the slide isnt back. But how often do you need to release a full mag and put a full mag in when the slide isnt back?

My XD9 Subcompact acted very much the same until I shoot about 75 rounds. Enjoy the gun!
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Normal for the XD. Shoot it a bit and keep the mags loaded and you'll be good to go soon!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I bought an XD-40 sub compact today at a gun show. I put 50 rounds through it today and it shoots quite nice. My 9 round magazine goes in fine, but the 12 round extended magazine is quite tight. The mag springs are very stiff. All of these things will ease up with a little range time. Shooting my 9mm is like a 22 after the 40. I'll post some pics in a minute.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the same "problem" with my Glock 27. The magazine used to click in there quite easily, even after adding the Pierce grip extensions. Then I switched back to the standard magazine ends and now I have to hit it up into the gun. Is that indicative of a problem? I figured it wasn't since I've shot it at the range since then.

I believe the manual states to have the slide back when inserting the magazine, I'd go look but it's down in one of the safes.

Thanks for all the responses! I kinda figured it just needed breaking in. Crappy weather today kept me indoors...maybe tomorrow!

I figured out my problem with mine today. With new mag springs, I had to use the speed loader to load the 12 round mag and I inadvertantly put 13 rounds in it (lost count). They will fit using the speed loader to push the spring down and it will also click in the magazine well with some pressure. I decided to unload the mag and reload to loosen the spring up a bit and discovered my issue. Now, it clicks in and releases easy as can be. I feel like such a goofball. Try one less round in the mag and see if that solves the problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    You've already been given the advice you need, so I'll just congratulate you on the the new gun and welcome you to the XD family.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Links