Gen 4 Glock at Shot Show

This is a discussion on Gen 4 Glock at Shot Show within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was with Mas Ayoob at the Glock booth and I fondled the 4th Gen G17. I love it, I like the feel, the serrations, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glock at Shot Show

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Gen 4 Glock at Shot Show

I was with Mas Ayoob at the Glock booth and I fondled the 4th Gen G17. I love it, I like the feel, the serrations, the balance, and I'm just flat going to get one. I like the backstrap as it is but others might like the add on.
    I told them I'm going to add this on several sites and was chuckled at, "You'll be 96th in line" someone said. I may be wrong, but I think i dood it first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very nice... Did you get pics with Mas? I think I'd be more impressed with those...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

very nice, never shot a 17 but how does it compare to 19? probably not the best choice for CC.

kpw
    They got one of the G22s in at my local shop this week. I like it. They didn't change them too much and thats good. I'd have to play around with them more but I still like the standard insert best. Price went up $40 to $539 but it came with 3 mags.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Here, Mas and Gail at the Circus Circus after hours on Wednesday. We were with Dr. Joe the owner of Arms Tech, Rugger one of Mas's Level 3 instructors, and retired Texas Ranger Irwin B.

gen 4 glocks have been on sale in various states for about a month now.

you can get them online at edspublicsafety.com

I wanted to hold one first, I'm sold.

I got to fondle one Monday this past week. New 4th gen G22. I'm not overly impressed with the new design. Best thing they did in my opinion is the large magazine release. After all the hype is over, I think this will be the best feature.

Yes the mag release is really easy to reach without being in the way. Great design.

I like the mag release too, but the interchangeable back straps are really going to be a hit with law enforcement. I will still keep my G19 3rd generation - I like it the way it is and old friends are hard to part with.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Yes the mag release is really easy to reach without being in the way. Great design.
    I haven't seen these in person yet. Can I install a Gen 4 mag release on my Gen 3?

Thanks.

VIP Member
    I will say what I have been saying about the 4th gen. Meh! I was hoping for some cutting edge changes that go a long with legendary Glock reliability.

Yeah! They have new serration's and changeable back straps. Seems like Glock is copying people like Smith and Wesson (M&P) instead of being a front runner as they were originally known for. To be fair, I can't think of the cutting edge ideas myself, or how many things I would have wanted to see, but again If I could think of those things then I would be a gun designer! haha.

Now here are a couple obvious changes I would like to have seen. Small, but obvious.

1. Get rid of the finger grooves on the grip
    2. How about a metal guide rod?
    3. How about metal sights?
    4. Metal trigger? (Not a must)

Wait! That sounds like an XD!!!

By the way, very cool to have pics with Ayoob!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

C hawk, out of curiosity, why would you want to add so much metal? Part of Glock's appeal is their light weight.

I don't see them going back on the finger grips, either. But maybe it would be advantageous for them to come up with a way to, much like the changeable back straps, allow for the finger grips to be exchanged for a "regular" grip. Now that would be innovative.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    C hawk, out of curiosity, why would you want to add so much metal? Part of Glock's appeal is their light weight.

I don't see them going back on the finger grips, either. But maybe it would be advantageous for them to come up with a way to, much like the changeable back straps, allow for the finger grips to be exchanged for a "regular" grip. Now that would be innovative.
    It's funny you say that, I was thinking that they could have changeable finger grooves.

As far as the plastic pieces, it's a personal preference. None of those pieces are unreliable in the thousands of rounds I have shot through Glocks, but it's just a little cheap. Honestly, how much weight would it add?

The only part I have seen with any issues are the sights in which I have seen them grind down a bit it placed on a rough surface over the years.

By the way, it no means am I beating up Glocks (look at my name), I am just trying to keep it real and not be a fanboy. They set the bar pretty high and I was expecting a bit more is all.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    The thing I was concerned about was that they would change too much. I'm happy they didn't. It's still a Glock. The changeable backstraps I can understand. I don't need them but enough people feel they do. I'm glad they kept the old slide serrations on the new models. The new mag release seems good but I didn't have a problem with the old one. The finger grooves are much more subdued than on older models and actually feel better.

For those that wanted a Glock to be more like an XD or M&P, they have those. They are made by Springfield and S&W. I'm happy Glock is still making Glocks.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links