False suppressor?

False suppressor?

This is a discussion on False suppressor? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, showing my ignorance here. Saw a tactical handgun with a "false suppressor". WHAT is a "false" suppressor as opposed to a "true suppressor?"....

Thread: False suppressor?

Distinguished Member

False suppressor?

Ok, showing my ignorance here. Saw a tactical handgun with a "false suppressor". WHAT is a "false" suppressor as opposed to a "true suppressor?".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

looks like a suppressor but dosent actually suppress, like an airsoft gun would have a false suppressor. or those cute lil .22lr that look like mp5s the suppressor is just a way to extend the barrel with out loosing tacticoolness
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreSlot View Post
    looks like a suppressor but dosent actually suppress, like an airsoft gun would have a false suppressor. or those cute lil .22lr that look like mp5s the suppressor is just a way to extend the barrel with out loosing tacticoolness
    Please tell me you're kidding. In other words, are you saying that the put the suppressor on there to look cool? No way!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

In other words, are you saying that the put the suppressor on there to look cool? No way!
    Yes, way.
    My GSG-5 is a fun gun to shoot. But the barrel is tiny. It would look all out of place an the gun. (kinda like a MP-5, but not really to me) So they have a screw on "suppressor" to improve the look, and to protect the barrel from damage.
    No one takes it off, but you can. It doesn't screw on the end of the barrel, the barrel is inside the thing.

On the GSG5 it's basically just a barrel shroud,It makes it look like a suppressed MP5,if you unscrew it you got a shiny long skinny barrel sticking out about 16".I've shot several suppressed firearms,and unless you use subsonic ammo you still get a pretty good crack from the supersonic bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Yes, way.
    My GSG-5 is a fun gun to shoot. But the barrel is tiny. It would look all out of place an the gun. (kinda like a MP-5, but not really to me) So they have a screw on "suppressor" to improve the look, and to protect the barrel from damage.
    No one takes it off, but you can. It doesn't screw on the end of the barrel, the barrel is inside the thing.
    So there is some practical purpose for the fake suppressor.

Senior Moderator
    Not really.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    well on the gsg you have a very thin profiled barrel sticking out the end of your "MP5" not very cool. add a shroud that looks like a suppressor - Very cool
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreSlot View Post
    well on the gsg you have a very thin profiled barrel sticking out the end of your "MP5" not very cool. add a shroud that looks like a suppressor - Very cool
    You know the old saying (If looks could kill)without a barrel shroud the GSG5 is just another toy,but with barrel shroud attached it becomes one of the deadliest most powerful 22's you ever could possibly maybe caress in your hands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like the GSG-5, the non-NFA versions of certain pistol caliber carbines look ridiculous (Uzi, PS90, HK94, etc...) when compared to their "cousins." A false suppressor allows you to cover up the excessive barrel length while remaining in BATFE guidelines.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Isn't a barrel shroud one of those things that go "up"?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Since we're discussing GSGs and NFA guns (an area I am clueless on), what are the GSG-5 "Pistols" considered?

Example:
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data...gsg5pk2009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PileDriver73 View Post
    Since we're discussing GSGs and NFA guns (an area I am clueless on), what are the GSG-5 "Pistols" considered?

Example:
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data...gsg5pk2009.jpg

Pistols, same as AR pistols or any other....

Kinda like the M4 clones with the extended flash suppressor to reach the magical 16" length. Why not just get the 16" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Isn't a barrel shroud one of those things that go "up"?

Roflmao
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sponsored Links