Walther PPS 40 Repair Summary....confused!!!!

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 40 Repair Summary....confused!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I had a very odd experience with Walther Repair and wanted to know if anyone else had seen this sort of thing with ...

Thread: Walther PPS 40 Repair Summary....confused!!!!

Walther PPS 40 Repair Summary....confused!!!!

Hello All,

I had a very odd experience with Walther Repair and wanted to know if anyone else had seen this sort of thing with any other repair or manufacturer.

My PPS (bought brand new) suffered a catastrophic failure at round count 66 when the extractor and all the springs for the extractor decided to part ways with the gun…..just all fell out. Needless to say it went back for repair; with very fast turnaround I got it back with a non-descript letter saying it was repaired but not what they did.

I went back to the range, fired 43 rounds of mixed new ammo and it started given me extractor issues…many FTE’s, first about 3 per 6 round mag and then it would only feed one at a time….so it went back again. I enclosed a letter asking them to call me prior to return and really prior to repair as I wanted another gun since this will be my new EDC. They never called, I even tried calling and got no response. They just returned it to me stating that 2 tech’s ran it and could not replicate the problem. They claimed they used Win whit box ammo and ran multiple magazines through with no issues. The letter was a canned letter, not even reprinted, just copied, you could tell it had been copied many times. I seriously questioned whether that is what happened. My first thought was that they repaired it and didn’t want this repair to “count” towards the repairs. I know this is a serious accusation but there is no way it was fine after what I experienced at the range with multiple brands of new ammo. When I called (after getting it back) to get some more details they said “all I can tell you is it was tested and ran fine, maybe you had a bad grip and I limp-wristed it”. I responded that anything is possible but I doubt it as I have been shooting for over 20 years with many types of guns and never had an issue before, and not even with this gun prior to the first return.

So, I went to the range twice this week ran the following to see if it was really ok:
    50 rounds of Win white box, 165 gr FMJ, 50 rounds of Federal 180 FMJ, 50 rounds Blazer Brass 180 FMJ and another 50 of Win….200 total, no FTE’s or anything else, flawless.

So in the end I am happy and trust the gun….I am not sure I trust or believe Walther’s repair department though. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Just shake your head,and be thankful your pistol is finally running as it should have,in the first place!

My guess.
    As soon as it came in somebody stripped and cleaned the slide including the extractor area.
    Your problem was probably gunk under the extractor binding it up.
    It may not have even been the test firing techs that cleaned it.
    The letter may have been technically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My guess.
    As soon as it came in somebody stripped and cleaned the slide including the extractor area.
    Your problem was probably gunk under the extractor binding it up.
    It may not have even been the test firing techs that cleaned it.
    The letter may have been technically correct.
    The letter claimed it was returned to me in the same condition they recieved it in, which was not cleaned. Yet, the gun looked cleaner when I got it. As far as dirt getting under the extractor, I gues it is possible, but I had only firedt a few rounds before ti started doing that, and the gun was clean before I started....and this last outing, after gettig it back, ran 100 rounds through on 2 seperate days with no cleaning or anything in between....all so odd.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

It may have had some gunk under the extractor from the previous repairs.
    Mehhh... if it works now I wouldn't worry about it.
    My Kahr P380 was returned to me with zero explanation, it works now so I don't really care what they did to it.

Links