K.I.S.S. for my future firearm purchases.

This is a discussion on K.I.S.S. for my future firearm purchases. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to fine tune my choice in platforms as of late. The calibers I have come to like are 9 and 45, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K.I.S.S. for my future firearm purchases.

K.I.S.S. for my future firearm purchases.

I have been trying to fine tune my choice in platforms as of late. The calibers I have come to like are 9 and 45, still deciding on wheel gun caliber. Kind of a struggle because there are many fine firearms manufacturers. I am not trying to be brand myopic, just trying to focus on 2-4 pistol platforms and becoming very proficient with them. In the polymer arena the two I have experience with are the Glock and M&P lines. I like them both and see the merits of both. This will probably be my biggest struggle. I have been thinking about the metal/alloy pistols as well. In 9mm I am trying to decide between CZ and SIG. .45ACP was the easy one, 1911 wins. Am I overthinking this? Comments are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Your collection must include a Glock...the 30 or 36 for your .45 slot...OMO

Happy shopping!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    For 9mm I'd suggest you find the CZ P-01 and check it out. Alloy frame, accessory rails, 15+1 capacity, durable and reliable. A lot of bang for your buck.

VIP Member
    I am partial to the M&P line-up even before reading this in the link below , which just reinforced my decision;

Smith & Wesson’s 9mm M&P Semi-Auto Pistol

As far as a choice for a wheelgun caliber, you will not go wrong with the .357 , simply for the veratility of being able to run .38 special through the same firearm.
    And when you use .38spl. +p in it you will have a very formidable round on your side, when the chips are down..
    Then if you have a snubnose revolver, you will want to use something like Gold Dot personal protection, short barrel, .38spl.+p 135 grain GDHP

How can there be "self help GROUPS"?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Under the K.I.S.S. principle, I think Glock tops the list. How can it not. Not sure how I ended up with a SIG as my choice for a .45, but that's pretty simple too.........it's SAO.

Just remembered some other issues I was considering in this process. The ability to gunsmith my firearms myself/spare parts in case the wheels come off society. I suppose multiples of chosen firearms could be an alternate solution. The other consideration is the gun's ability to handle reloads/digest anything within reason. Input is welcome.

I'm KISS for a number of reasons, but I have kept it really stupid simple by sticking solely with Glocks in 9 MM, but for one minor foray into a Glock in 45ACP (a G36). That is KISSS......

It really makes my ammo inventory easy, as well as my manual of arms training........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Administrator
    If you are committed to the KISS principle, the Glock wins hands down. However, the M&P pistols have grown on me a lot.

CZ and Sig? Thats a tough call. I love my Sigs, but if I didn't carry Sigs for work, I think I'd probably be a CZ man.

Wheel gun caliber? Thats the easy one. .38/.357.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    And don't forget the hd shotgun in your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Just remembered some other issues I was considering in this process. The ability to gunsmith my firearms myself/spare parts in case the wheels come off society. I suppose multiples of chosen firearms could be an alternate solution. The other consideration is the gun's ability to handle reloads/digest anything within reason. Input is welcome.
    Okay then. Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty, and I understand more now. 45acp still tops for you? I said Glock fit your bill for the K.I.S.S......now you add this and it's plain to see. What you want is a basic (clones acceptable) 1911A1. No frills, $500 range, mil-spec 1911A1. This could be a Norinco, RIA, or an old used Colt or SA basic. You've said it yourself, and you should stick with your instincts. Gunsmithing the 1911? Yes you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    .45ACP was the easy one, 1911 wins. Am I overthinking this? Comments are welcome.

If you want to really KISS it stay with the same manual of arms. The 1911 is SAO with a downsweep thumb safety. The Glock is a DAO with no external safety. Sigs are TDA with Decock levers. That's three different MoA's to learn. There are more.
    Real KISS? DAO autos like Glock/M&P/XD and DA Revolvers (Ruger GP 100 and S&W 686 ).
    Fumbling around with safeties can get you killed.
    If you must join the 1911 cult ( I have one too) then consider the Browning Hi Power as your 9mm.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    .45's........Glocks and (as Ram Rod posted) any basic 1911. Simple and very easy to get parts/ find gunsmiths for.

Wheelies....... any .357
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    +1 for .357 mag for revolver

for 9mm I would vote CZ
    .45 if you want a poly frame go with M&P or Glock or if you want metal go for the 1911

I have always liked the K.I.S.S. principle of choosing your carry gun.

While I was working as a LEO, I carried a Sig P226 or a Sig P220 as my duty gun. My off duty gun changed from time to time, but it was always some sort of Sig (a Sig 230, 225, 228, 239, & even a 229 in .40 for a short period of time). All of them operated DA/SA with a decocker lever.

My BUG was always a S&W J-Frame snubby (models changed, but they operated the same).

I've owned and shot numerous other guns, but stayed with the same weapons system for self defense/duty guns.

Five years ago, I switched weapons platforms, selling my Sigs and buying several Glock 19s.

Now my EDC gun is the Glock 19. (with a couple of spares)
    My "deep concealment/I'm not carrying a gun" gun is now the Walther PPS. (Handles very close to the 19)

The K.I.S.S. principle works for me.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I have a problem of having 4 of my handguns in different calibers. I try K.I.S.S. but it never seems to work out that way. You can never have "too many guns.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links