Changed the Grips

Changed the Grips

This is a discussion on Changed the Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went camping with a buddy of mine out near Eureka CA. We were in the redwood forests which by the way are amazing. Anyway, ...

Thread: Changed the Grips

Changed the Grips

I went camping with a buddy of mine out near Eureka CA. We were in the redwood forests which by the way are amazing. Anyway, he just bought a Glock .357 sig compact. Due to the fact that I had a practially new gun and he had a practically new gun, we had to go shooting.

We found a great indoor range in Eureka. Anyway, I shot my Sig 239 in the .40 and due to the fact that he had .357 ammo, it was time to try out the second barrel. (My 239 came with both .40 and .357). I would have to say that I did not enjoy the .357 in my 239 as much as the .40.

My friend's Glock however was much easier to shoot with the .357. I think it was because of the increased barrel length and the fatter barrel. The Glock was enjoyable and I can't say that I disliked it. However, I am positive that for me, I like my Sig a lot more. I also decided that for CCW I am going to carry the .40. It has less of a muzzle snap and recoil then the .357. I am much more comfortable with the .40 as well.

Anyway, I was putting about a 3 inch group anywhere I wanted at 15 feet and at 21 about a 5 inch group. Not bad for a beginner but my 239 is great and very accurate. I also figure that that is the range that I would have to use it for personal defense and a five inch groups still means I am hitting my target.

The Glock also had Hogue grips on it and one of the reasons I gave it a try was to see how I liked them. My buddy was trying to convince me the entire drive to look at and try the grips. He also wanted me to see if they had them for my 239 and to give them a try.

It just so happened that the range store had grips for the Sig 239 (that was suprising). I had resisted purchasing them before as I liked the original grips and there was nothing distracting or annoying about them. However, once I tried them on and loaded a magazine, it was love at first sight. They are great. I immediately purchased them and never put the originals back on. The grips were easy to put on as you just remove a couple of screws and then place the grips where the old ones were. I tested it too in my holster and found that there was no new thickness or additional fatness. The grips designed for the 239 are wrap around but they are designed to replace the original and not just go over them.

The finger grooves and the fact that sweat doesn't alter the grip was the biggest selling points for me. Due to the fact that the 239 is a single stack that holds 7 rounds, the handle is quite short but with the finger grooves, it is simple and provides an excellent grip. I raved about them to my friend (who already had them for his Glock) all the way back to the campsite. I also made my wife ooh and aah several times because they are so fantastic.

Anyway, we went through about 300 rounds total and had a great time. Shooting is a great way to spend time with old friends.

VIP Member
    I have the Hogues on my P239 9mm. I never even fired it with the original grips on it. The originals were ok, but as soon as I felt the Hogues I knew the originals were out of here. My only concern when I started to put them on was the decocking lever and that was no problem. They feel good under any condition. And they seem to absorb some of the recoil. The P239 is a great shooter and the Hogues just make it better.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

One good thing about hogues not as much on autos as on wheelies but they help absorb some of the felt recoil impulse

I really like the Hogue grip on my Glock 32. It makes it more stable for follow up shots if my hands get sweaty. cali-da's accuracy improved when at that range after he put the grips on.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I went off any " Rubber " grip Years ago . They do have advantages but imho the disadvantages ( for me ) out weigh any advantage . Hard plastic is fine , Wood is fine , Soft grips ...... Well just say if that is the only option ( or normaly even if its not and that is what the pistol wears now ) I wont buy/trade for it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    I can well imagine the improvement from the Hogues. It is often hard to tell without a trial grip change whether they or other will help.

I like the std SIG grips on my 226 but have to say - the CT grips are even better - for me. I use Hogues on several guns but like Bud find them at their best on revo's.
    Shooting is a great way to spend time with old friends.
    Big amen to that
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yes! I have a Hogue Handall (?) on my H&K, used to have one on a Glock 19 before I sold it. Aftermarket Hogues on my Taurus 85CH also, but alas not on my Ruger Vaquero (.44-40)! My hands sweat terribly and I find them indispensible for gun control grip shot-to-shot. I haven't found any kind of wood checkering that can help.

Just yesterday I "almost" bought some friction/skateboard tape to try out as a replacement for the Handall on the H&K, as I have read several people recommend. Couldn't bring myself to do it. I think the roughness would be horrible on my hands, clothes and exposed body parts.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Para tape is ok in my book , and its no " rougher " on your clothes and ccw method than a sticky rubber grip is . Its not a real issue for me since i am healthy and tend to over grip rather than under , i dont have a lot ( other than comfort ) of issues with hurtmyhandium j frames with full house loads . slower yes , hurt , yea , but still shoots to poa . and btw i dont own one after shooting them lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cali-da
    The Glock also had Hogue grips on it and one of the reasons I gave it a try was to see how I liked them. My buddy was trying to convince me the entire drive to look at and try the grips. He also wanted me to see if they had them for my 239 and to give them a try.
    I have Hogue grips on my 239 and think they are great. The only down side is I think they are a little more prone to printing than the factory grips.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    My G33 can be a bit nasty to hold onto in rapid fire with Corbon or Double Tap loads, but sure is a good way to train the grip.... ;o)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

The SIG 220 I bought from my Uncle came with the Hogues, I reinstalled the factory grips because I find them more comfortable. I don't like the finger grooves. But, I'd like to test the Crimson Trace grips.

I put a set of Hogue grip's on my P89 & the were a big improvement.
    I HAVE TWO GUNS. ONE FOR EACH OF YOU!

I also had a P239 and switched to Hogues. They were great on that gun. I have since used them on many handguns and my AR's as well. They fit my hand perfectly. I wont put them on my 1911 though. It would be blasphemy.

Links