Anyone carry the Kahr 380? Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry the Kahr 380? Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have this gun, I'd love to hear your experience with it. How did it do out of the box, what ammo you use, ...

Thread: Anyone carry the Kahr 380? Thoughts?

Anyone carry the Kahr 380? Thoughts?

If you have this gun, I'd love to hear your experience with it. How did it do out of the box, what ammo you use, any problems experienced?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

i have a p380 and i love it!! but to be honest it didn't work all that great when i got it. the bullets in the magazine would hit the lever that holds the slide open when the mag. is empty. i had to file it down about 20 thousandths and now any type of bullets won't hit it now. the next problem was the bullets would hit the ramp on the barrel and the slide would get stuck open. i had to file back the lip on the mag. back so the bullets slide up and out sooner. now i cleaned out the firing pin slide and left it dry,no oil at all!! now my little gun is perfect!!!!!! i love it. hope this little review helps, get one now!!!! in fact you need more than one kahr. get the pm9 next. good luck

wjjmlg, why didn't you contact Kahr? Their customer service is very good. They would have sent you a replacement slide stop, spring, etc. to fix any issues you may of had.

GoldenSaber, here is a range report that I actually did yesterday.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

It was my second trip to the range. My only advice with a Kahr is to clean the gun well before the trip to the range. I have the same ritual for every new gun. I clean the gun thoroughly, lube the rails slightly and rack the slide about 100 times to help the break in process.

As for carry rounds, I use Speer Gold Dots. They have been flawless for me.

i'm the kind of person that likes to figure things out on my own. like to take everything apart and soop it up. just took off a honda 13hp engine off my man lift and put on a 20hp. now it works great. just took off a 25hp off my stump grinder and put on a 40hp. now i cut my time in half. now i am looking for something else to pull apart!! just plugged up my outboard motor from soaking up water from the lake and made an inboard keel cool for the motor. now i can run in complete mud without overheating!! can you say coooooool!!!!!

When I started shooting my P380 I did have problems with hollow points. I had to grind the slide stop down to clear my speer gold dots. I used the dremmel tool with a stone grinding wheel, I just kept the shape and took some steel off. I used a black marker to make a hairline mark around the side, then I ground steel off until the black mark was gone. This Is something that a few Kahr owners have had to do with the P380, they use FMJ for testing.
    ElkMan

Love my P380. Already shot about 500 rounds through it without any problems. I used WWB, Corbon, Blazer, and Speer. Both FMJ and JHP ALL with NO malfunctions.
    I can also make a round get stuck on the feed ramp by racking the slide INCORRECTLY. If you rack the slide like they teach you the first time you hold a gun (pull the slide back using four fingers and the palm of your hand to grab the slide and then releasing it allowing it to snap forward) you will not have any rounds getting hung up. But if you are one of those people who like to pull the slide back and then continue to hold onto the slide while you push it forward you will cause a round to get hung up.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I always use the slide release to load a round with all of my guns, especially the Kahr. It's explicitly stated to do so in their instruction manual.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I always use the slide release to load a round with all of my guns, especially the Kahr. It's explicitly stated to do so in their instruction manual.
    Shouldn't HAVE to though. A properly executed slingshot is better than a slide release anyway. More spring compression = more force to ensure feeding, more like a recoil situation. You should NEVER "ride the slide" back home when racking!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    GoldenSaber, here is a range report that I actually did yesterday.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

It was my second trip to the range. My only advice with a Kahr is to clean the gun well before the trip to the range. I have the same ritual for every new gun. I clean the gun thoroughly, lube the rails slightly and rack the slide about 100 times to help the break in process.

As for carry rounds, I use Speer Gold Dots. They have been flawless for me.

+1 on that process. I do the same thing with all my new autos.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Shouldn't HAVE to though. A properly executed slingshot is better than a slide release anyway. More spring compression = more force to ensure feeding, more like a recoil situation. You should NEVER "ride the slide" back home when racking!
    - I agree, but that's one of the "quirks" to owning a Kahr. 90% of the feeding/reliability problems are from manually cycling a round.

Links