PF9 for a 5 Shot 38 Snubbie

This is a discussion on PF9 for a 5 Shot 38 Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in a quandry, funds are tight and I am thinking about looking for a 5 shot snubbie for flexible and discreet carry in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PF9 for a 5 Shot 38 Snubbie

PF9 for a 5 Shot 38 Snubbie

I am in a quandry, funds are tight and I am thinking about looking for a 5 shot snubbie for flexible and discreet carry in the pocket, on the ankle or IWB. I like the dependability andflexibility of a revolver. The PF9 does not fit in my pocket or on my ankle. I have had no problems with my PF9 however, I am looking for more options than the PF9 gives me.

I have three primary guns I carry, a full size 1911 carry 75%, a P32 my pocket gun I carry 100% and the PF9 I carry 20%. I have a 357 snubbie 6 shot weighs as much or more than my 1911 and is much thicker and a Ruger P89. I carry them once in a while (the other 5%). I am considering selling the PF9 and putting the funds toward a small ultra lite Taurus or S&W. I prefer the Smiths but may have to search for a used one at my price. I know I may have to add a few dollars and am willing to do that. Trying to stay around $400. What would you do?

1. Sell the PF9 buy a Snubbie.
    2. Keep the PF9 save for the Snubbie (right now that is probably 2 years)
    3. Other options I am missing?

Please give your input and opinions...

2. Remove Ads

If you are set on just a .38, I would recommend the LCR over any of the other snubbie choices. I tried them all at the gun store, and the LCR has by far the best trigger out of any DAO revolver. I loved mine. Plus, it should fit in your price range better than a Smith.

Givent he info you gave I'd sell the PF9 and get the Smith snubbie. I ahve a Tuarus snub and haven't had any problems with it but do believe the Smith to be slightly higher quality.

I also have a PF9 that has gave me zero problems that I carry about 80% of the time. The other 20% or so I carry my compact 1911 RIA or my snub or Glock.

I have two S&W snub 38s 5-shot and they are great for pocket carry. They seem smaller to me than the LCR, but I like the old style small wood grips. I'd sell the P89 and/or the PF9 and go for the 442 or 642. You might be able to find someone on this forum wanting to buy one of yours or sell one of theirs.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carried my PF9 in pocket and ankle and found it to large for that type of carry.

Looking for a better method of carry for my PF9.

Purchased a P3AT and carry pocket with good results.

Would rather carry a 9mm but settled for 380 because of size and need for deep conceal.

Both PF9 and P3AT have being 100% and I trust them.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I went to the gun show and sold my CZ-75 Compact....it was heavy........and bought a Taurus UL 85 38 Special.........much lighter cary for me.

I like the Taurus. There are some good reviews on Utube if want to research it.

Save and get what you want...trust me you'llregret getting ready of anything that actually works.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

trade it on the snubby get the Ruger LCR. PS ive sold and or traded a LOT of guns over the last 25+ years and ive never missed a single one I sold or traded because I got something I wanted or liked more to replace them with.

If the PF-9 doesn't really fit your needs, sell it. I favor the Taurus 85UL. Mine has been totally reliable, and as accurate as any snubbie is. Costs a couple hundred less than a S&W, too. Carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo in it and you have a nice little BUG.

I had the pleasure to shoot an 85 this weekend. I was impressed the trigger was smooth and accuracy made me look a lot better of a shot than I am. I now have the itch. I own several Smith & Wessons and grew up shooting my dads 36 in a fine Smith home. The 85's trigger impressed me.

The 85's trigger impressed me.
    If you liked the stock trigger, wait until you get a set of Wolff springs on it. WOW!

I couldnt imagine it any better. Honestly the guy was talking about he had bought it for his wife. I asked if I could shoot it he said sure there is the rest of the bullets I have for it. I had my on but noticed less than a box had been fired through it. I know this is blasphemy but it was smoother and shot as well as my k frame Smith and Wesson.

I tired to buy it and he said he would hold on to it. I think once he saw what it could do he wanted to hold on to it.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    a couple of years ago I traded my LNIB PF9 (it was completely factory refurbed when the orig was sent back for a rear sight repair), and a couple hundred bucks, for a NIB S&W 637 Airweight. Totally different platforms, but for totally different applications for me. At that time, I switched back to pistol carry of my Sig 239 40 cal and a KT P3AT. This past fall, the P3AT was traded in, with a couple hundred bucks for a Kahr CW9, and once again the Sig is back in the safe with the Kimber and others most of the time, and instead of my former daily field gun being a rusty Rossi 38, it's a stainless/alloy S&W 637, and my casual IWB carry gun has gone from the PF9 to a CW9.

surv

VIP Member
    Sell it and get a J-frame Smith. The 442/642/637 can be found new for $479 or less around here. They make a great pocket or ankle gun. I like the LCR, but would never buy a first year production gun...OMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links