test Drive?

Test Drive?

This is a discussion on Test Drive? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you should test drive a car before buying it and I know you should hold gun in your hand and possibly even fire it ...

Thread: test Drive?

test Drive?

So you should test drive a car before buying it and I know you should hold gun in your hand and possibly even fire it before buying it. My problem is I can't find a place where I can rent a keltec PF-9 or a Kahr PM9. I thought I wanted the p3at but when I finally shot one I changed my mind, don't want to make an expensive mistake. Any one know of a place where I can test drive these in the Miami, Fl area?

I'd start calling every range in town until you find one. I've bought 2 guns without test fireing the same model.... I love my xd, not as much w/ my p94. buying without testing is a hit or miss game.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I've called but haven't been able to find any, thats why I'm wondering if maybe someone knows of one.

Florida Gun Forum - Powered by vBulletin

maybe theres someone there close enough that they wouldnt mind meeting you at the range to test theirs out? I wish I could be more help, but i'm all the way up north ;)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Yeah...I'd do my best to find someone who owns one so that you can just buy some ammo and shoot different guns.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Solid advice so far. One thing I've learned is to be friendly with other shooters at the range. Usually discuss which each of us is firing. Offer to let them try out your gun and they'll usually do the same. Or just say you're interested in getting one and if they wouldn't mind letting you fire a magazine or so. Unless it's something like .380 ammo or something rare/expensive, I doubt they'll mind. Can't hurt to ask.

I can tell you about the PF-9. It's small, light, and concealable almost anywhere on your person. Due to the lightness, it does have quite a kick, but it's manageable. I had a Hogue slip-on on mine that worked well. If you have large hands, you'll need it. The checkering is a little sharp and may irritate your palm after a couple mags. It's plenty accurate at SD ranges (up to 10 yards for me), but don't expect it to win IDPA. The short sight radius and short barrel limits it. Mine was carried for two years and was totally reliable with over 2,000 rounds of all types through it. I carried Corbon DPX as the "real" ammo. Should be less than $300. I can recommend it.

Thanks everyone. No one with local help though?

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    Yeah...I'd do my best to find someone who owns one so that you can just buy some ammo and shoot different guns.

This is your best bet. A lot of range's guns tend to get fired a lot and maintained little. The only local indoor range around here has a small selection of rentals. The owner tends to rent guns that have a history of reliability and durability as well as functioning with minimal maintenance. Some of the pistols he has for rent are in the hundreds of thousands of rounds through them with only a quick cleaning and spring change here and there. Some of them are surprising.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    Ok...So... Does anyone on this site live in the Miami, Fl. area and have either a PF-9 or PM9 and allow me to test fire it provided I take care of the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Ok...So... Does anyone on this site live in the Miami, Fl. area and have either a PF-9 or PM9 and allow me to test fire it provided I take care of the cost?
    Well no but...if you are ever in South Texas I'd be glad to make a trip to the range with you. Or anyone else who reads this and want's to drive one of my Kahrs. For that matter your welcome to try any of my guns.

Is there any way to make a sticky so people can list there general location and guns they'd be willing to let people try?

I'll start...

South Texas (for more specifics PM or e-mail me...)
    My CCW's are...
    Browning Hi-Power
    Kahrs MK9, P9, CW9, P45
    Ruger LCP

south FL

i live in south florida. bout 40 mins. north of miami. i dont own one but i have shot one and they are great. i saw one on the wall for rent @ my local shop its called arizona guns and knives(shooting range) google them and call. i love there triggersDA smooth. pricey but worth it check out nutnfancy's reveiw on youtube its a long one but it is thorough.

Thanks again everyone, I'll give that range a call warmxd9.

That would probably be a good sticky that would help a lot of people out Captain Kahr.

Sponsored Links