Taurus 1911

Taurus 1911

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your thoughts on the Taurus 1911?Price is about the same as a Glock 26 or 27 at Academy.Let me hear your opinions.Looking to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911

Taurus 1911

What are your thoughts on the Taurus 1911?Price is about the same as a Glock 26 or 27 at Academy.Let me hear your opinions.Looking to buy a new pistol.
    Shoot first ask questions later

some people hate them. i don't get why. i guess sometimes a bad one will leave the factory, and be a nightmare for the owner.

mine, however, has been flawless since i bought it last year. it had exactly one jam, the first week i had it, and not a problem since then. it's scary accurate as well. i'm a decent shot, but shooting this gun makes me feel like a marksman.

Good gun for the money. I like mine, although there are a few minor points that I'm wanting to change... I particularly dislike the hammer. It functions just fine, but I dont like the styling.

I love mine!!!

I have had mine for 3 years, no issues...very accurate, love it
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Just hope you don't have to use customer service......

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    some people hate them. i don't get why. i guess sometimes a bad one will leave the factory, and be a nightmare for the owner.

mine, however, has been flawless since i bought it last year. it had exactly one jam, the first week i had it, and not a problem since then. it's scary accurate as well. i'm a decent shot, but shooting this gun makes me feel like a marksman.
    mostly because when they first came out they were a GOOD deal...they were relatively cheap(less then $500). now they have crept into the $500-up realm and there are simply just guns that are better and have better reputations(because they have been in the 1911 business longer) in that price range so they are really not that good a deal.namely RIA and Citadel. They are fine im sure but just not a "deal" anymore...If I had $550 in my pocket and was told thats all I had to spend on a NEW 1911 id be getting a RIA #1, Citadel#2, then the Taurus.

I had concerns about buying a Taurus after owning one of their revolvers several years ago . I did a lot of online research and the only complaint I found was the blueing seems to be a bit thin and the customer service is horrible .
    I bought one in stainless and it has been a great gun with no problems .
    I would not hesitate to buy another .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

I really like mine. Ran it through 800 rounds in a 4 day course at Front Sight without maintenance. No problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have one in SS. Good gun and quite accurate but no match for my Kimber or the Colt's I have owned over the years and not worth the $600.00 they want now for the SS. Did anyone mention their customer service people are rude discourteous snotty jerks? If yours works well OK but if you need parts and or service...you will not be pleased.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Taurus 1911

I have had one for a little over a year and have had absolutely no problems with it. Very accurate. It is as reliable and as accurate as my colt and my Para. Have not had any dealings with Taurus customer service.

I've heard pros and cons on the PT1911. They had some issues early on, but I've heard some very good reviews. I put the question to the forum quite some time ago about the PT1911 when I was seriously thinking about getting one myself. I think another 1911 is still in my future, I just don't know when. The Taurus offering does have most of the amenities one might hope for above and beyond a plain Jane mil spec 1911 from some of the top manufacturers for the same price or less. Those facts seem to make it more attractive for the entry level buyer or almost anyone wanting to get into another 1911 they shouldn't need to pay extra on or send it off to who knows where for who knows how long to get worked over. Personally , I'd say the Taurus PT1911 and the RIA custom look very attractive for the money. If you're thinking about one for carry and dependability, I'd suggest giving it a good workout to feel confident in it. We also hear from time to time about problems with the top of the line 1911 pistols. All in all, if I had the bucks to throw down on another 1911 I figure I could rely on, it would probably be a Wilson Combat work, or a Springfield Armory loaded. Other than that, a Colt mil spec. I've tossed the idea around long enough and gathered info, and this is what I would go with, because all of my pistols get carried at one time or another. Obtaining a 1911 would be no different for me, and I have no 'range guns' although contemplating a pistol in 22lr in recent days. Thing is, after owning a couple of 1911 pistols (I like the full size) in the past, I think I've come across the best compromise available short of a true 1911........my SIG P220 SAO. It's pretty much my dream 45.
    You can find the threads using the search function. Just enter PT1911, and you'll find a lot.

New hammer, sear, and safty. Different grips and getting a duracoat upgrade this weekend or next. Also found the Taurus mags to be lacking, but a decent gun for the money. And unlike Kimber they have a pretty good clue on how to fit an extractor.
    Attached Images
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

My PT-1911 is 100%. I have three brothers with PT-1911s - all 100%. A good gun at a good price.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Do they make only a 5" or do they make a 3.5-4" model in the PT 1911???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links