1911 barrel length

1911 barrel length

This is a discussion on 1911 barrel length within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that for concealed carry, the barrel length is a smaller factor in concealability than the grip length. Does it make a noticable difference ...

Thread: 1911 barrel length

Question 1911 barrel length

I understand that for concealed carry, the barrel length is a smaller factor in concealability than the grip length. Does it make a noticable difference with drawing the weapon though? I'm looking at a 1911a1 GI from springfield armory and I'm not sure weither I should go with the 4" or 5". Has anyone here had issues with drawing a 5" 1911?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I'd go with the full 5", drawing is going to depend on what holster you've picked out and hopefully TRIED out in the store.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

i've had no issues. i used to carry a S&W Sigma 4" pistol, and switched to a full size 1911. it's actually easier to conceal than the Sigma.

If there is any difference in presentation time between the two, it would be so minute you couldn't tell the difference. I think the criteria should be if you want to OWB carry or not. Then the barrel length would be more of a factor. I carry a 5" IWB, I cannot find a way to cover the barrel, so I don't use OWB. But, that's also relative to your body size/shape.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

IMO its a body size thing. For me I am large frame person, 6' 240# and for my IWB carry at the 4 o'clock position I like a Commander length 4" or Officers model 3". Just is more comfortable in my experience. The draw time is probabaly the same depending on the holster selected.

I have carried the Govt 5" guns IWB and OWB and they are little harder to conceal and weigh more. But for target shooting or tactical IDPA type shoots I use the Govt 5"

JD
    Administrator
    It's a body size/type thing. I can carry and deploy a 5" 1911 easily, my wife can not. When drawing a 5" gun from 3 to 5 o'clcok her hand will end up in her armpit before the gun clears leather unless she uses a small of the back holster or tilts her body to the left. A 3" or 4" 1911 will clear fine for her, but that extra inch of a 5" makes it impossible for her to get a smooth draw stroke.

No problems drawing a 5" 1911...

Let's assume you can move your hand at 10 feet per second (I just pulled that number out of thin air, but it seems reasonable). Then the mechanical difference from a 4" to a 5" slide would be .01 (1/120th) of a second. Now, that's assuming that you're practiced enough to orient the gun on target the millisecond that the snout leaves the leather.

I tend to draw a subcompact the same way that I draw a fullsize. Same drawstroke for a GLOCK 27 as for a GLOCK 22 or GLOCK 35 for that matter. So for me, the length of the slide would not be a factor. I'm guessing most folks fit that category.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I understand that for concealed carry, the barrel length is a smaller factor in concealability than the grip length.
    If you carry OWB, barrel length is very much a factor, as it requires a longer cover garment to conceal, especially when moving around, sitting down/standing up, etc. However, if you carry IWB, you're correct, grip size is more important.

Nice thing is the grip length on a Govt and Commander 1911 are the same and take the same mag. So barrel length is what you will have to choose.

id go 4" but thats just me..why..because I like the 4" better thats why :) . id however not go any shorter than the 4".

I agree with HK that it's not that critical. I shoot IDPA and USPSA matches with 3, 4, and 5 inch guns and try to draw each the same. There are some differences depending on cover garment, IWB or OWB, but it depends more on how you intend to carry and how you plan to dress around the gun. I also carry each depending on where I'm going and how I dress and each works well for me.

TGC
    I go back and forth between my Kimber Ultra Carry (3") and my Springfield Mil-Spec (5"). IWB there is no difference other than weight....OWB I have to stay with the Kimber.

Links