PT145 trigger question

PT145 trigger question

This is a discussion on PT145 trigger question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read a few reviews stating that people thought the take up on the trigger of the PT145 was looooooong. I have never actually ...

PT145 trigger question

I have read a few reviews stating that people thought the take up on the trigger of the PT145 was looooooong. I have never actually fired this weapon but I did handle one in the store and dry fired it. When I dry fired the gun the pull didn't seem long at all. Honestly, I thought the trigger was quite nice. Only maybe a tiny bit less so then a glock. I know that they made a lot of tweaks with the 3rd generation of the Pro series so is it possible that when people refer to the long trigger they are referring to the earlier generations? Or am I just less trigger sensitive then others?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a Taurus PT709 and my father-in-law just bought a new PT111. Both 9mm and both been flawless. I have 600 rounds thru my 709 and I love the trigger on it (SA with double strike capability). It has long initial take up (no resistance) and a short light crisp snap at the end. The PT111 has a true DA with double strike capability and has a little longer and harder trigger pull compared to mine, but not excessive at all (not like a DAO revolver). I don't have any problem either style. To me, as long as I know what to expect and practice a tad with it, no problem. Both mine and my FIL's Tauri have been great. Great feel, fit, finish, options, accuracy, and no hicups at all. The Slim 9mm is sweeeeet, and the PT111 (which is the same as the 140 and 145) seems like a winner to me based on my limited shooting of my FIL's. The PT111 is very comfortable in hand and a great shooter. I'm sure the 140 and 145 are as well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a Taurus PT709 and my father-in-law just bought a new PT111. Both 9mm and both been flawless. I have 600 rounds thru my 709 and I love the trigger on it (SA with double strike capability). It has long initial take up (no resistance) and a short light crisp snap at the end. The PT111 has a true DA with double strike capability and has a little longer and harder trigger pull compared to mine, but not excessive at all (not like a DAO revolver). I don't have any problem either style. To me, as long as I know what to expect and practice a tad with it, no problem. Both mine and my FIL's Tauri have been great. Great feel, fit, finish, options, accuracy, and no hicups at all. The Slim 9mm is sweeeeet, and the PT111 (which is the same as the 140 and 145) seems like a winner to me based on my limited shooting of my FIL's. The PT111 is very comfortable in hand and a great shooter. I'm sure the 140 and 145 are as well.
    Would you say the trigger on the 709 and the trigger on the 111 are fairly close?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

What generation PT145 were you looking at?

If it is a 3rd gen MIL Pro the trigger should be good. I am not real fond of 2nd gen PT triggers, but then again, I really don't like DA triggers.

Only thing I can tell you is to see if you can shoot the thing or one like it and go from there.

BTW, I have had zero issues from my 3rd gen PT111 or my 24/7 Pro DS.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What generation PT145 were you looking at?

If it is a 3rd gen MIL Pro the trigger should be good. I am not real fond of 2nd gen PT triggers, but then again, I really don't like DA triggers.

Only thing I can tell you is to see if you can shoot the thing or one like it and go from there.

BTW, I have had zero issues from my 3rd gen PT111 or my 24/7 Pro DS.
    I am looking at 3rd gens. The local range in town doesnt have on for rent and I don't know any one that owns one so I think I am kind of out of luck as far as shooting it before i buy goes :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Would you say the trigger on the 709 and the trigger on the 111 are fairly close?
    No, they are noticeably different, but I don't have an issue with either. I'm assuming (which may be incorrect) the trigger feel of the PT111 would be the same as the PT140 and PT145 since they are all Double Action triggers. The PT709 is a Single Action trigger and the initial take up is very different. Try a PT111 or PT140 if the range has one and you will be able to at least test the feel of the trigger. It will be the same as dry firing one in the store since it is a DA trigger with second strike capability (each pull will feel the same regardless of racking the slide). If you dry fired one in the store, that's the feel. The PT709 that isn't the case. Dry firing a 709 after racking is the only way to get the SA trigger feel. The second strike on the 709 without racking feels different.

I was shopping for a 40 caliber and Saturday (after looking at and shooting dozens of guns) bought the Springfield XD-40 Sub Compact. The trigger on it felt more comparable to my 709, and they are the same size other than thickness. I also liked the extended magazine with grip boot (gives it a full size pistol feel) and short mag for concealability. I was seriously looking at the PT140 and still think it is a great gun.

I had a friend bought a 111,the trigger pull was so long that he thought there was somrthing wrong after a couple attempts to fire the gun figuring it should have fired by then,I showed him the gun did work he just needed to pull it a little farther
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Smile

I have a PT111 and a couple of 24/7 series Taurus guns. The triggers to some may seem long but it is crisper than many DA triggers out there. For me the key is the reset which on my guns is very short. So, the only "long" pull is the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    No, they are noticeably different, but I don't have an issue with either. I'm assuming (which may be incorrect) the trigger feel of the PT111 would be the same as the PT140 and PT145 since they are all Double Action triggers. The PT709 is a Single Action trigger and the initial take up is very different.
    All of the new 3rd gen PT111, 140, 145 have single action triggers. The 2nd gen series had DAO. The new have SA, then second strike capability which is DA.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The book for my PT745 also has the Pt145. They appear to be the same basic pistol. My PT745 trigger is fantastic. After the take up, it breaks at a travel of about 3/16 inch.
    The trigger is lighter than my Glock, but not as smooth. I think if I took the PT745 apart and worked on the trigger linkage, it might smooth out.

I have had a little bit of hands on with the taurus guns and don't think the trigger pull is bad at all. I'm no expert on the guns
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

I have the PT145 Mil Pro (3rd Gen) and would say that the trigger is pretty short and light similar to that of a 1911.

I've made up my mind. Assuming my local dealer has one in stock im going to go pick one up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    All of the new 3rd gen PT111, 140, 145 have single action triggers. The 2nd gen series had DAO. The new have SA, then second strike capability which is DA.
    Cool. That sounds like an improvement over the 2nd generation. That being the case, the trigger should be great on the 3rd gens. My father-in-laws must be a 2nd.

Links