Glock Gen4 crap out reports already coming in

This is a discussion on Glock Gen4 crap out reports already coming in within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; called Glock earlier and someone in the tech dept had told him that they are already getting reports of malfunctioning Gen 4's and that they ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen4 crap out reports already coming in

called Glock earlier and someone in the tech dept had told him that they are already getting reports of malfunctioning Gen 4's and that they think that the new double spring mechanism combined with unremoved anti seize lube, combined with weaker than usual ammunition, and even the smallest amount of "limp wristing" can cause failures to feed. I KNOW. If I was reading this from one of you...I would be calling BS. But this is absolutely true.

Now they design a new stronger recoil spring for the .40 and put it in the 9mm and make it marginally functional with weak ammo and less than perfect grip...
    New Gen 4 G17 - Issue at the range - Glock Talk

this is the gen4 g17:

Interesting. But Glock has build a legacy of reliability, and I doubt they would risk their "empire" on not thoroughly testing their products before a new release.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Interesting. But Glock has build a legacy of reliability, and I doubt they would risk their "empire" on not thoroughly testing their products before a new release.

i hear ya. however, their "empire" is based on the gen 3 glocks, which are the most popular pistols in the world; and glock has no plans to stop making these any time soon.

the gen4's were only made for the american market, in order to slow down the m&p's momentum in the LE market...

kpw
    ...and then the OP took the pistol and fired 300 rounds without issue. Looks a little like operator error than a pistol issue. Like anything else thats new, we'll have to wait and see if there are bugs or not. The recoil spring in the new G22 I looked at definately seemed stronger. I can see where that could cause issues with lighter loads and a weak grip.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    ...and then the OP took the pistol and fired 300 rounds without issue. Looks a little like operator error than a pistol issue. Like anything else thats new, we'll have to wait and see if there are bugs or not. The recoil spring in the new G22 I looked at definately seemed stronger. I can see where that could cause issues with lighter loads and a weak grip.
    Exactly.

Administrator
    Seems like the answer would be to remove the factory Copper lube - use high quality ammo and...remember that all semi-auto pistols benefit (with regard to feed/function) from a very firm grip.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Interesting. I can't imagine Glock turning out this Gen.4 without extensive testing with about every brand of ammo out there.

The G4 G22 has a double recoil spring in the same style (although most likely a different weight) as the .45 autos, which works fine. The double spring absorbs recoil better.

I've only had one FTE with my G30, but I didn't yell, "DEFECT!" I just cleared it and kept right on shooting another 100 rds. I never removed the factory lube; it finally wore off. It's not like there was a big glob to begin with.

And the Glock "Empire" is based on all Gen's, not just the Gen 3.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The 36 and 30/29 use a dual recoil spring. The 21/20 uses a single.

I'm still scratching and shaking my head on the 4th gens.

It happens its a new gun even Glock has problems with some guns especialy when they try to think out of the box like the new Glock that just came out and the Glock 36 those 2 seem to have quite a bit of complaints for Glocks but then again they are something "different" than just they typical glock 9mm 17/19 or the glock 22/23 3rd gens...new guns often have problems..Glock fans just dont like to admit that Glocks can have problems also lol. Thats why even though I dont care for the Grips on my Glock 23 2nd gen im not rushing out to get a 4th gen..yesh the changeable backstraps would probably be nice but I was sure..just like a LOT of new guns that there will be some bugs to work out :) .

Dont get me wrong Im GLAD Glock went to the changeable backstraps IMO they have the WORST grips in the industry stock...and the changeable straps help...but just like other stuff...I figured there would be some problems...Glock people that all think Glocks are infallible just dont like it when Glocks have problems :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    It happens its a new gun even Glock has problems with some guns especialy when they try to think out of the box like the new Glock that just came out and the Glock 36 those 2 seem to have quite a bit of complaints for Glocks but then again they are something "different" than just they typical glock 9mm 17/19 or the glock 22/23 3rd gens...new guns often have problems..Glock fans just dont like to admit that Glocks can have problems also lol. Thats why even though I dont care for the Grips on my Glock 23 2nd gen im not rushing out to get a 4th gen..yesh the changeable backstraps would probably be nice but I was sure..just like a LOT of new guns that there will be some bugs to work out :) .

Dont get me wrong Im GLAD Glock went to the changeable backstraps IMO they have the WORST grips in the industry stock...and the changeable straps help...but just like other stuff...I figured there would be some problems...Glock people that all think Glocks are infallible just dont like it when Glocks have problems :)
    Hi,

If you think Gen 4 is thinking outside of the box then you might be interested in a little disk that goes into a square box and plays movies.

By the way, I think the new 4th Gens having problems is kind of funny! I love Glock's, but the fan boys have been getting on my nerves lately. Every gun can have issues folks! If you want a 4th gen Glock that works well, get an M&P. If you want something you know will go bang every time, stay with a 2nd or 3rd gen. Glock will surely figure out the known issues and get this fixed, they have to because it's will be a huge problem with future business.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hi,

If you think Gen 4 is thinking outside of the box then you might be interested in a little disk that goes into a square box and plays movies.
    LOL

From the discussion thread, it appears to be a double feeding problem with Remington ammunition. My closest experience like this was with a Gen-3 G34. In one of the occurrences that day my gun seized up hard out of battery and required an armorer with a mallet. The root cause of the problem was that I was using lead free frangible ammunition. I changed to a different lot number from the same manufacturer and the problem went away. I was not the only person having that particular problem that day on the range.

The theory was that I was using new magazines with a stiffer magazine spring. Probably the case of ammunition that I was loading from had been dropped somewhere between manufacture and the range because some of the bullets appeared "chipped". This seems to be different from the problem being discussed over on Glock Talk and I will be interested to finding out the root cause of the problem.

I find it more interesting that none of the "Glowing Reviews" after ShotSHOW even hinted at a problem like this.

OD*
    So, Glock isn't using the new style slide serrations on all the Generation 4s?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Nice catch OD.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    there's an advertisement in the glock annual mag that shows the gen3 rtf2's with straight, instead of curved serrations. at this point no one's sure if future rtf2's will only be available with straight one's, or both.

however, the gen 4's all have straight serrations.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links